Please undo the butchered 'translation'.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:26

Please undo the butchered 'translation'.

As of 0.14, bits and parts of the game's text are translated to whatever language my PC system is running (currently German). The translation is hilariously bad and simply screams Google Translate. The sentences range from akward but understandable to Xom-like nonsense. Oh, and many things haven't been translated at all, so you're gong from German to English mid-sentence. It's good for a occasional laugh, but it is actually very confusing to play this way. Please go back to 100% English and only add a language feature once the whole game script has been properly translated by an actual human being. Thank you.
Last edited by Winwons on Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:32

Re: Please undo the butchered 'translation'.

Could you maybe post some of the poorly translated sentences, and maybe even acceptable translations for them? It'd be far more constructive than just whole-sale deletion of the entire effort.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:44

Also you can set your language preference in your init.txt, if you don't like the one which is automatically selected for you.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:47

I tried that, it still shows parts of the game in portuguese and parts in english for some reason.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:50

Did you set the language preference to Portuguese? (It shows translations for things which have a translation entered, and English for those things which haven't been translated) or did you set it to English on a Portuguese-language computer (which would be a bug if it was still showing any Portugese..)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:54

Let's take Crazy Yiuf for example (note that there are much worse examples than this).

Original Text:

Crazy Yiuf

A withered old gnoll with a long silver beard, wielding a quarterstaff and
wearing a cloak. He looks like a figure from mythology! Wait, is his beard held
on to his ears with hooks?

German? (especially problematic passages in red):

Crazy Yiuf

Ein verwelkter alter gnoll mit einem langen Silberbart, einen quarterstaff
ausübend
und einen Umhang tragend. Er sieht wie eine Zahl von der Mythologie
aus!
Warten Sie, wird sein Bart an seinen Ohren mit Haken festgehalten?

My shot at this:

Der Verrückte Yiuf

Ein verwelkter alter Gnoll mit einem langen, silbernen Bart; einen Kampfstab und einen Umhang tragend.
Er sieht wie eine mythologische Gestalt aus! Moment mal, wird sein Bart etwa mit Haken an seinen Ohren festgehalten?

Notes:

'Quarterstaff' has not been translated at all. 'Figure' has been translated literally with 'Zahl' (figure in the sense of a number) which doesn't make any sense in this context.
The whole text is translated word for word instead of sentence for sentence and very literally so. There's more, but I think you catch my drift.

For this message the author Winwons has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 18:56

Siegurt wrote:Did you set the language preference to Portuguese? (It shows translations for things which have a translation entered, and English for those things which haven't been translated) or did you set it to English on a Portuguese-language computer (which would be a bug if it was still showing any Portugese..)

I set the language to english on a portuguese-language computer. I'll try again when I reach my computer, if it still persists, I'll report it on mantis.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th July 2014, 19:22

Translations were enabled by default in trunk builds while they were a work in progress. If setting "language = english" in the config doesn't disable them that'd be a bug but it's also pretty much moot now I guess, since it seems that they're likely to be discontinued entirely with the loss of Transifex and nobody actively working on them. Not sure whether the partial translations will stick around, some languages (French, Polish, Korean?) were fairly complete for descriptions I think.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 14:49

Polish translation is an atrocity. I understand that having it can increase the players base. On the other hand it is like 50% complete and of catastrophic quality.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 11:26

stopster wrote:Polish translation is an atrocity. I understand that having it can increase the players base. On the other hand it is like 50% complete and of catastrophic quality.

If any of devs care I could work on that translation in my spare time.
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 04:44

Winwons wrote: Let's take Crazy Yiuf for example (note that there are much worse examples than this).

[...]

Ein verwelkter alter gnoll mit einem langen Silberbart, einen quarterstaff ausübend und einen Umhang tragend.

You may post some more of these funny "google translations" in the German thread if you like.

Return to Game Design Discussion