Please remove hatches that lead into death

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 08:13

Please remove hatches that lead into death

Edit: The following problem has been a bug, it looks like neil has solved it.

After having a nice start and a great early amulet I was in search for Lair entrance and took an escape hatch up.

I found myself in raging winds near an obelisk, through translucent stone wall I could see the altar of Qazlal.

I was able to step out of the tornado - but as I was surrounded by undestructable walls and had no way of teleporting out, this was the end of a promising game.

So the lesson was: either don't take hatches when you don't have teleportation or ask for removing hatches that lead into death.
Last edited by Turukano on Saturday, 28th June 2014, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 08:32

Re: Please remove hatches that lead into death

(am I to take from this that more instances of diamond obelisks are being added because that sounds awful)

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
duvessa, sgrunt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 11:06

If a hatch, shaft, or teleport trap puts you in a portion of a vault that is supposed to be inaccessible, it's a bug and you should report it.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 11:17

Yeah, that sounds like a bug. The lesson learnt is sound though, hatches should only be for emergencies really.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 13:40

I actually take most escape hatches up and quite a few down, just so I know I'll have the shortest possible route when autotraveling. Of course, I'll avoid taking escape hatches when there's something dangerous on the level I'm going to, like a unique or a rune vault. (I learned that lesson after I accidentally dropped into the middle of the orb chamber.)
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 14:05

Turukano wrote:After having a nice start and a great early amulet I was in search for Lair entrance and took an escape hatch up.

I found myself in raging winds near an obelisk, through translucent stone wall I could see the altar of Qazlal.

I was able to step out of the tornado - but as I was surrounded by undestructable walls and had no way of teleporting out, this was the end of a promising game.

So the lesson was: either don't take hatches when you don't have teleportation or ask for removing hatches that lead into death.

That's definitely a bug -- the area with the diamond obelisk in that Qazlal vault is marked "no_rtele_into" which is supposed to prevent hatches and other random teleports from putting you there.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 14:21

This isn't the first time a hatch has gone into a no_rtele_into area; I've dug into the code a bit surrounding it and it definitely is not supposed to happen, but I don't as yet have any idea why it's happening.

I'll update here if I find anything out.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 16:11

I think I have fixed this one. I did some testing with an encompass version of the vault (so I could limit the number of available hatch destinations), and this change seemed to stop the player from landing inside.

Uniques can still generate inside; we've been discussing how to fix that. Probably by preventing can_overwrite vaults by placing into no_rtele_into areas; Zaba is working on this.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 17:08

neil wrote:I think I have fixed this one.

A-ha, I'll keep that in mind for future vaults.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 17:37

Thanks to all of you: for answering, looking up the code and (obviously) fixing the bug.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 18:08

dck wrote:(am I to take from this that more instances of diamond obelisks are being added because that sounds awful)
The diamond obelisk vault is just a Qazlal altar vault, where the obelisk is suppose to be (and hopefully now is) inaccessible by players. It existed before the removal of the original diamond obelisk vault. It's a pretty cool vault, but it might not be worth an entire monster.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 18:40

reaver wrote:The diamond obelisk vault is just a Qazlal altar vault, where the obelisk is suppose to be (and hopefully now is) inaccessible by players. It existed before the removal of the original diamond obelisk vault. It's a pretty cool vault, but it might not be worth an entire monster.

Eh, the cost of keeping the obelisk around is pretty low. (And I've been tossing around the idea of doing something using a set of obelisks as terrain, instead of puzzles or decorations...)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 20:59

How many places can one find diamond obelisks, anyway? I assume they don't randomly generate.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 21:09

nicolae wrote:How many places can one find diamond obelisks, anyway? I assume they don't randomly generate.

Currently, there are two vaults (yours being one of them), both of which use them as 'scenery' and don't interact with the player.

Return to Game Design Discussion