do not generate enchanted plain equipment.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 06:38

do not generate enchanted plain equipment.

right now, picking every single glove, boot, cloak, headgear and light armour in the dungeon and wearing-iding it is a boring and riskless activity, that can give your character up to +11 AC, if wearing leather. considering such activities contradict the game design philosophy, I suggest all plain pieces of armor are generated unenchanted.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks: 10
and into, Arrhythmia, duvessa, hannobal, Klown, Kramin42, nilsbloodaxe, reaver, tedric, Turukano

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 09:45

Re: do not generate enchanted plain equipment.

Agreed, i'd prefer anything with a plus or minus to be enchanted.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 10:49

I don't mind them being enchanted, but i agree it should be somehow visible, glowing or runed if enchantment is something else than zero.
Actually it would be handy separate enchanted/ego based on glowing/rune: That way you could stop picking up 'glowing gloves', if you already have maximally enchanted plain gloves, and could concentrate on getting ego gloves.
Counter-proposal:
Glowing = Non-zero enchantment (or cursed)
Runed = Ego (or cursed)

For this message the author hannobal has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 10:56

Different markings meaning different things is something I'd definitely like to see.

Enchanted should mean just a simple + or - as it mirrors enchant weapon/armor scrolls, whilst runed, glowing or shiny should mean anything with a brand or ego.
Last edited by Bim on Monday, 23rd June 2014, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Bim has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 11:00

I support this suggestion, it would remove another minor annoyng thing, and I don't think it has any drawback.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 11:21

I don't find this an annoyance - especially in the case of gloves and boots as they're rare enough, but apparently my tolerance to tedium breaks the tediometer, and I wouldn't mind it much if it was changed as per proposal, either.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 12:12

It's mainly a problem early on and it's probably one of those things that you should ignore and just wait for a runed/glowing one anyway, but it's tempting to get an extra 2-3 AC out of things if you can (especially as a squishy caster) and so I inevitably just end up going through all the robes/leather armor I find until I get a +2 one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 14:00

@Psiweapon I think I'm developing a brocrush on you. Between your use of the word tediometer and your fondness of eating elves as well.

But overall, yeah, I think this is a really good suggestion. Don't get me wrong, I'm always delighted when the first leather armour I find is +2, but it is a bit silly and doesn't map well to the streamlining ID game design process.

Plus, I think consistently marking equipment as "special" allows more space to do higher risk/higher reward. Not to the extent of a randart, but having something a bit flashier than just "curse." For instance, curse + mild corona, that sort of thing.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 16:22

For a game in active, open-ended, unbounded development I can see no reason for any "tolerance" of an intrinsically bad thing (tedium)from a design perspective

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 16:39

Hirsch I wrote:right now, picking every single glove, boot, cloak, headgear and light armour in the dungeon and wearing-iding it is a boring and riskless activity, that can give your character up to +11 AC, if wearing leather. considering such activities contradict the game design philosophy, I suggest all plain pieces of armor are generated unenchanted.

I'll have to look at the relevant code, but this seems reasonable.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 6
and into, Arrhythmia, Bim, Hirsch I, nilsbloodaxe, tedric

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 16:42

I'm useful!

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 16:53

Mildly so!

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 17:02

0.15: Hirsch's Unenchanted Gloves Edition

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 17:36

please correctly add my name to the credits. I want a big spot, with flashing lights.
warmly
André

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 18:27

Does this mean you'd no longer be able to find +2 gloves? +2 gloves are some of my favorite things early on, I'd hate to lose them. Can we go with one of the above proposals to mark them as enchanted, or some similar keyword? +3ac early on a robe user is huge. On anyone, really.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 18:38

I think the idea is that, if it has +s on it, it should be glowing/runed. It should also be glowing/runed if it has minuses, in which case it will also be cursed.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 23rd June 2014, 21:54

This is an idea I can definitely get behind too. I've got a pretty high tolerance for a lot of the more tedious things, but I'd definitely like to see this implemented.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 24th June 2014, 00:33

If there's a desire to keep the basic equipment with +1 and +2, but remove the tedium (which I support), you could have all basic equipment show their enchantment level by default. So you can tell right away if that leather armor is +0, +1, or +2 without picking it up or wearing it.

For this message the author HisMajestyBOB has received thanks:
Wahaha

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th June 2014, 04:56

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
and into, reaver, Turukano

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 24th June 2014, 05:44

and into wrote:I think the idea is that, if it has +s on it, it should be glowing/runed. It should also be glowing/runed if it has minuses, in which case it will also be cursed.

Did the change actually do this? It looks like PF's commit just makes it so that all plain equipment is now +0 and nothing else is changed.

**Disclaimer: I am not a code wizard**

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 12:54

That's my read on it too. PleasingFungus, it looks like this is a nerf to players as implemented. Is that intended? From a player's-hopes-and-dreams perspective, it'd be better to instead force items that meet that if condition to become glowing/runed/whatever.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 13:12

WalkerBoh wrote:Did the change actually do this? It looks like PF's commit just makes it so that all plain equipment is now +0 and nothing else is changed.

Indeed, yes. Be careful what you wish for, guys! :P

From the tediousness argument, trying on a zillion +1/+2 glowing leather armour isn't that much better than status quo, so I think PF's version is correct.

There's a later commit that allows +1 non-cloak aux armour to be glowing/runed, the reasoning being that these items are much less common than body armour (or cloaks), so trying on every pair of glowing gloves or boots isn't so bad.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 14:06

DracheReborn wrote:
WalkerBoh wrote:Did the change actually do this? It looks like PF's commit just makes it so that all plain equipment is now +0 and nothing else is changed.

If "plain" means "neither glowing or runed" then yes that's what happened. It's a difficulty boost but removing item destruction/weight etc. were player buffs, and that didn't stop those from being implemented. If the difficulty becomes too extreme either way some other arbitrary tweak like another XP nerf could happen.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 14:36

DracheReborn wrote:From the tediousness argument, trying on a zillion +1/+2 glowing leather armour isn't that much better than status quo, so I think PF's version is correct.

Definitely, although someone suggested using an alternate adjective "enchanted" for non-ego non +0 items.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 15:30

I think that some plain +1/+2 items should generate, choosing between a brand and higher pluses can be an interesting choice. They could appear to be glowing/runed and be less common than they are now.
Last edited by Leafsnail on Thursday, 26th June 2014, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 15:35

don't think generating everything plain as being +0 is too bad, especially with the big buffs we've had recently, however I agree with Leafsnail that non ego +1/2 (and upwards) can make for an interesting decision. Having poison resist in an area you know you probably won't need it, or a +2/3/4 is an interesting decision.

Hurkyl wrote:
DracheReborn wrote:From the tediousness argument, trying on a zillion +1/+2 glowing leather armour isn't that much better than status quo, so I think PF's version is correct.

Definitely, although someone suggested using an alternate adjective "enchanted" for non-ego non +0 items.

Although that was my suggestion, I'd think it'd be a good step forward. It doesn't make any difference difficulty wise (they could still be negative and cursed), it mirrors 'enchant' scrolls and it stops the tedium Drache mentions.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 16:05

Bim wrote:Having poison resist in an area you know you probably won't need it, or a +2/3/4 is an interesting decision.

I don't see the interesting decision, you take the AC. Maybe if you know you need it it becomes interesting, but if you probably don't?
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks:
duvessa

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 16:26

nilsbloodaxe wrote:
Bim wrote:Having poison resist in an area you know you probably won't need it, or a +2/3/4 is an interesting decision.

I don't see the interesting decision, you take the AC. Maybe if you know you need it it becomes interesting, but if you probably don't?

Well lets say you have +4 plate armor and a +0 plate of rPois for lair. Yeah AC is probably the way to go, but poison resist could be useful as well.

Without crunching numbers or being overly spoiled, I think that'd be an interesting enough decision.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 16:28

There have been times where I felt I had decisions to make (i.e., choices with no clear best answer) between +0 foo with some ego, and vanilla +2 foo. But it doesn't happen that often. By contrast, so long as your foo was +0, it was basically always best play to try on every piece of non-randart foo you come across, assuming you have at least one ?remove curse. So yeah I like this change.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 16:48

Bim wrote:Well lets say you have +4 plate armor and a +0 plate of rPois for lair. Yeah AC is probably the way to go, but poison resist could be useful as well.

+4 body armour has a good chance to be glowing or runed though. So that won't get squashed by the change.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 16:59

i would never wear the rpois plate in that situation

DracheReborn wrote:+4 body armour has a good chance to be glowing or runed though.
66% chance, so quite a few are still getting squashed

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 17:19

and into wrote:There have been times where I felt I had decisions to make (i.e., choices with no clear best answer) between +0 foo with some ego, and vanilla +2 foo. But it doesn't happen that often. By contrast, so long as your foo was +0, it was basically always best play to try on every piece of non-randart foo you come across, assuming you have at least one ?remove curse. So yeah I like this change.
That's why I'd suggest making enchanted armour glowing, and also possibly rarer if that dilutes the glowing weapon pool too much.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 23:22

HisMajestyBOB wrote:If there's a desire to keep the basic equipment with +1 and +2, but remove the tedium (which I support), you could have all basic equipment show their enchantment level by default. So you can tell right away if that leather armor is +0, +1, or +2 without picking it up or wearing it.

So what's wrong with this idea? If we want to keep mundane enchanted items in the game (which seems to be a matter of debate), did having to ID them add anything to the game whatsoever? The suggestion of calling them "enchanted" would work, but as people have pointed out, still makes you try on a bunch of items until you have a max enchanted or ego one, all it does is save you the trouble of trying on +0 ones.

What does them starting un-id'd at all ad, though? The merit of the ID minigame have already been debated and its complexity reduced anyway, but the merits that it does have seem to revolve around ID scroll management and potion and scroll identification early. Neither of those things are at all relevant to mundane enchanted gear, which can be trivially identified by several button presses. Processes that are trivially accomplished with several button presses without any risk or resource consumption is practically the epitome of everything Crawl's design philosophy stands against. So why need to ID mundane enchanted items at all?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th June 2014, 23:37

Well, there's not no-risk, in particular those items could be cursed and have negative enchantments, that's in fact the point of the ID mini game, to force you to chose between a risk activity that could benefit you, and non-risky behavior that has less benefits associated.

Since there are no negative armour egos (well, aside from unrands of ponderousness, which come pre-id'd) negative enchantment levels are the only thing providing this risk. Negative enchantment levels require non-id'd ness to be a thing (otherwise there's no point to them at all)

Now you could argue that this risk/reward balance isn't interesting enough to make un-id'd armour (and my extension negative enchantments) a worthwhile part of the game, but personally I like it being around (in the same way that I like mutation potions being a thing)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 27th June 2014, 00:58

reaver wrote:
DracheReborn wrote:

If "plain" means "neither glowing or runed" then yes that's what happened. It's a difficulty boost but removing item destruction/weight etc. were player buffs, and that didn't stop those from being implemented. If the difficulty becomes too extreme either way some other arbitrary tweak like another XP nerf could happen.

Um, since ego aux armor is very rare, let alone ego aux armor with decent plusses, doesn't this change mean that players will almost never have a reasonable opportunity to use an enchant armor scroll on body armor again, rendering dragon armor in particular nigh-unwearable? Right now you can easily get most of your aux plusses from floor loot eventually, but with this change in place you'd be extremely lucky to get even +2 out of 8 by the time you hit the Vaults.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 27th June 2014, 01:24

Sjohara wrote:Um, since ego aux armor is very rare, let alone ego aux armor with decent plusses, doesn't this change mean that players will almost never have a reasonable opportunity to use an enchant armor scroll on body armor again, rendering dragon armor in particular nigh-unwearable? Right now you can easily get most of your aux plusses from floor loot eventually, but with this change in place you'd be extremely lucky to get even +2 out of 8 by the time you hit the Vaults.

Later changes made +2/+1 aux armour "glowing" too.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 02:55

Siegurt wrote:Well, there's not no-risk, in particular those items could be cursed and have negative enchantments, that's in fact the point of the ID mini game, to force you to chose between a risk activity that could benefit you, and non-risky behavior that has less benefits associated.

Since there are no negative armour egos (well, aside from unrands of ponderousness, which come pre-id'd) negative enchantment levels are the only thing providing this risk. Negative enchantment levels require non-id'd ness to be a thing (otherwise there's no point to them at all)

Now you could argue that this risk/reward balance isn't interesting enough to make un-id'd armour (and my extension negative enchantments) a worthwhile part of the game, but personally I like it being around (in the same way that I like mutation potions being a thing)

I thought only glowing/runed/artefact items generated cursed and plain ones were always safe. Is this incorrect and that even trying on, say, some plain non-glowing/runed gloves in hopes that they're +1 or +2 can give you a cursed one?

Either way, I thought the whole point of this post was that trying on plain aux armour in the hopes of getting good enchant values is a tedious risk free exercise. Either you misinterpreted what I said and it truly is risk free, the risk of needing a remove curse scroll is considered trivial, or there is a non-trivial risk in trying on plain aux armour in hopes of getting good enchantment values. In the first case, my point still stands. In the second case, my point expands to question why the ID mini-game exists at all (consumables and distortion brand could be the answers, I suppose, but then why is does is exist for armour?). In the third case, isn't the whole point of this thread invalidated?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 05:29

Quazifuji wrote:I thought only glowing/runed/artefact items generated cursed and plain ones were always safe. Is this incorrect and that even trying on, say, some plain non-glowing/runed gloves in hopes that they're +1 or +2 can give you a cursed one?
Yes, that is incorrect.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 06:07

I like this change a ton. Probably a good thing that it's a player nerf, since Crawl is leaning pretty heavily in the player's favor right now as opposed to any version I've played (since 0.10 at least). Not having to try on every piece of armour is quite welcome. Thanks devs!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 07:36

Put down the pitchforks, I have found a blue glowing pair of gloves and it turned out to be +2 without an ego. Kind of disappointing in that I thought it was going to have an ego, but once you adjust to the change it'll be a great thing. +3 ac from the floor, thanks RNG!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 14:55

Plain aux armour in this case should probably show its +0 enchantment without ID, otherwise it's a spoiler - admittedly, very minor one.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 28th June 2014, 19:06

Sar wrote:Plain aux armour in this case should probably show its +0 enchantment without ID, otherwise it's a spoiler - admittedly, very minor one.

Plain armour (or weapons) can still have minuses, if they're secretly cursed.

Return to Game Design Discussion