New brand- Ethreal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 13:49

New brand- Ethreal

Instead of checking entirely against AC, checks partially against AC and partially against MR.

Reason: Give SB users a tool against high AC targets besides going into hexes or hoping for an electro brand.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 13:53

Re: New brand- Ethreal

If that's the intention, good luck with all these magic immune golems or ancient liches.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 14:00

I know weapon swapping as a concept is VERY unpopular, but against the previously mentioned monsters, you should have other options, just like a pain wielder has to have backups against nasty demons.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 14:15

I don't see anything wrong with weapon swapping and the way it's implemented in crawl is very straightforward and doesn't abuse the player's time.
I doubt you could wield two identical weapons, one of say flaming and another "ethreal" and see any actual difference in results by using them on a large sample of targets.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 14:43

Keep in mind that the brand should probably at least compete with vorpal. Ignoring some AC and then also getting reduced by MR sounds like a wash. Ignoring AC completely would be a much more interesting brand, IMO, but it could be interesting to have a brand that adds damage that's resistible by MR only -- though resisting damage isn't something MR normally does, so I'm not sure the flavor fits.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 14:58

TeshiAlair wrote:I know weapon swapping as a concept is VERY unpopular, but against the previously mentioned monsters, you should have other options, just like a pain wielder has to have backups against nasty demons.

Except it is not as if a pain weapon causes less damage on average then a normal, unbranded weapon on a demon. Sounds like this brand would actually be worse than an unbranded weapon on those enemies.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 21:43

The idea of giving SB users a tool against high AC seems like something that could be looked into, but I don't know if this is the way to do it. Maybe the proposed ethereal brand could guarantee a certain amount of damage per hit? That'd probably be too strong in general though.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 21st June 2014, 02:19

Well, don't mean to pile on, but I do have to question even the premise of the proposal.

To put it simply: Is it a good thing for short blades to have (more) ways to deal with high AC enemies? Doesn't this effectively make short blades more like other weapons? Don't short blades already have a special and very lethal relationship with effects that punish low MR monsters? Is the particular method for dealing with high AC enemies that this brand would offer interesting? (Granted some of the existing ways aren't interesting either, but adding another one that isn't interesting makes it easier and thus presents short blade users with less pressure and greater ease with no game play gain.)

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, Lasty, TeshiAlair

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 21st June 2014, 12:11

Imo for the purpose of making faster weapons better against high ac dudes can be done by adding the previously discussed acid brand

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st June 2014, 12:29

headcrab0803 wrote:Imo for the purpose of making faster weapons better against high ac dudes can be done by adding the previously discussed acid brand

If you reduce the practical differences between slow/high damage and fast/low damage weapons you also reduce the reasons for having the two different types of weapon.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 21st June 2014, 14:04

cerebovssquire wrote:
headcrab0803 wrote:Imo for the purpose of making faster weapons better against high ac dudes can be done by adding the previously discussed acid brand

If you reduce the practical differences between slow/high damage and fast/low damage weapons you also reduce the reasons for having the two different types of weapon.

I haven't payed that much attention to this thread, but I think this argument is unquestionable in an extreme case of reducing the difference, occasional and mild reduction of those differences need not bad enough such as to dilute the weapon differences into nothingness, I think, while giving the player another option sometimes (this reply is to cerebovssquire general argument, and not for or against this particular proposal of an ethereal brand)
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Return to Game Design Discussion