You finish memorising. (letter)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 06:11

You finish memorising. (letter)

Hi

I'd like to see the letter of a newly memorized spell in the message output. Currently I'm mainly playing casters and find myself looking up new spell letters after every memorisation.

I already changed it in the sources but I'd like to hear your opinions before submitting a patch to mantis. I also feel that creating a new entry in the wiki would be overkill for such a minor request.

The current wording is:
  Code:
You finish memorising. (x)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 06:37

Re: You finish memorising. (letter)

Well, the first thing you should do after learning a new spell is assign it to a new letter via =s anyway.

Actually, maybe just put that in the message:

Code:
You finish memorising. (x, reassign using =)

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 06:56

Good idea. All the helpful hints within the game helped me too when I started crawl, so telling the user how to reassign is nice.

That feature is useful to me because I just roll with what I get. I don't have a particular spell set I use in all my runs and learning the letters comes with frequency of usage.

On a side note: Watching more experienced players on youtube I've seen more than a few blunders when people who usually rebind spells, rebound them wrong or forgot to rebind them and cast the wrong ones.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 07:59

Good suggestion but there's a way to never bother with spell letters again.
Edit: and by good suggestion I do in fact mean good suggestion which means I would like to see this in the game.

Using the rc file you can make spells assigned to certain letters automatically.
spell_slot += Stoneskin:aA
Assigns stoneskin to a or if a is taken to A and if both are taken it uses default letters that you can specify like this: spell_slot += .*:tnyujklopmYUOP
Use patterns like defensive buffs on a and A, starting spell on z, low level offensive spells on xcv, higher level offensive spells on dfgh.
Last edited by Wahaha on Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
ensis

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 10:01

Wahaha wrote:Good suggestion but there's a way to never bother with spell letters again.

Using the rc file you can make spells assigned to certain letters automatically.
spell_slot += Stoneskin:aA
Assigns stoneskin to a or if a is taken to A and if both are taken it uses default letters that you can specify like this: spell_slot += .*:tnyujklopmYUOP
Use patterns like defensive buffs on a and A, starting spell on z, low level offensive spells on xcv, higher level offensive spells on dfgh.

Anything that requires editing the rc is a power user functionality. Most people will never change their rc ever. Things that are quality of life improvements should be in the game itself whenever possible.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
ensis, partial

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 20th June 2014, 08:34

Thanks for the feedback. I submitted a patch.

Return to Game Design Discussion