Buff Twisted Resurrection

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 13th June 2014, 21:47

Buff Twisted Resurrection

I suggest less Small Abominations required to form a Large Abomination and/or the HP regenerated from merging to be higher.

Reasons:
When the regeneration of Twisted Resurrection was removed, the spell became "dull". It was already hard to use effectively, because corpses don't always drop, transformation chance isn't very high( in my experience) and only Large Abominations are useful. Now you need to worship Kiku in order to use it efficiently.

I know the spell needed some changes, but it's really weak right now in my opinion.
Sorry for my bad english.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th June 2014, 17:02

Re: Buff Twisted Resurrection

Your grammar and spelling is OK. I'd certainly love it TR got buffed. I love the idea of making some kind of zombie voltron.
Actually, another thing: instead of basing the number of those tiny corpse things created on the weight of the corpse, base it of HD. That way, it'll stay useful in the lower levels where it's currently extremely outclassed.

For this message the author khalil has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th June 2014, 17:05

I heard there were plans to make it create a single strong abomination. I agree that current version is unpleasant to use to the point I prefer Animate Skeleton to it if Kiku gifts TR instead of Animate Dead.
Last edited by Sar on Saturday, 14th June 2014, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th June 2014, 17:33

The plan is to make it create one strong abom, like Sar said. And if that doesn't work out, I'll remove it.

And I should be able to get started on that in the next few days, so changes will happen "fairly soon."

For this message the author sage has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th June 2014, 17:42

(Twisted res is probably actually still stupidly strong right now, though as always the spell is "balanced" by making it excruciatingly tedious)

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 01:30

crate wrote:(Twisted res is probably actually still stupidly strong right now, though as always the spell is "balanced" by making it excruciatingly tedious)

(Responding in part to your post in the Buff spells thread):

Note that, while they still doen't have interlevel recall, abominations don't have to be adjacent to follow since 0.14 (0.14-a0-1418-g9d082e1). It's still tedious for sufficient numbers of aboms or sufficiently tight staircases.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 03:26

neil wrote:
crate wrote:(Twisted res is probably actually still stupidly strong right now, though as always the spell is "balanced" by making it excruciatingly tedious)

(Responding in part to your post in the Buff spells thread):

Note that, while they still doen't have interlevel recall, abominations don't have to be adjacent to follow since 0.14 (0.14-a0-1418-g9d082e1). It's still tedious for sufficient numbers of aboms or sufficiently tight staircases.

The real issue is that Kiku worshippers don't get recall anymore. Back when they did I used to occasionally learn it, despite the annoyance (and boy was old corpse-stacking TR annoying to use). Without recall, it's not a matter of how good or bad it is, but whether my disdain for it warrants converting to Trog in order to burn the book it's in.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 10:50

Why doesn't Kiku give recall? It's not necromancy, but it is a very nice spell for necromancers.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 11:53

khalil wrote:Why doesn't Kiku give recall? It's not necromancy, but it is a very nice spell for necromancers.

The same reasoning could be applied to many other spells (e.g. haste, which isn't only really good for the necromancer themself but also interacts with your minions like recall).

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 15:39

cerebovssquire wrote:
khalil wrote:Why doesn't Kiku give recall? It's not necromancy, but it is a very nice spell for necromancers.

The same reasoning could be applied to many other spells (e.g. haste, which isn't only really good for the necromancer themself but also interacts with your minions like recall).

Yes, but haste isn't required to make TW less annoying. Also, haste is good for everyone, whereas recall is just good for dudes with minions.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 15th June 2014, 16:07

Recall should be available to all summoners/necromancers really as it's only real use is to make things less tedious.

I'd agree that one strong abomination is probably better - I do think it's a great spell regardless of it's tediousness so would hate to see it disappear.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion