Species: Elemental Golem

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 15:52

Species: Elemental Golem

Humanoid golems created by a mad elven sorcerer, designed to master the elements. Their limbs aren't very flexible, causing slow movement and making wielding a weapon a struggle.

Innate Abilities
  Code:
Strength - 10
Intelligence - 10
Dexterity - 5
Magic Resistance 1
Mutation Resistance 1
Slow Movement 2
Does not have opposite element apt penalties(training fire won't change the ice apt, etc.)
You can train Fire, Ice, Air, Earth, and Poison magic from the start whether you know a spell or not.

Level Bonuses
  Code:
+1 STR or INT every 4th level
10% more HP than average
10% more MP than average
+5 magic resistance per level
At level 10, you gain a buff or resistance depending on which element has the most training. 8 AC for Earth, 4 EV and rElec for Air, rF++ for Fire, rC++ for Ice, rPois and rN+ for Poison. Ties are decided at random.

Skill Aptitudes
  Code:
Fighting: 0
Short Blades: -3
Long Blades: -2
Axes: -3
Maces & Flails: -2
Polearms: -3
Staves: -2
Unarmed Combat: 2
Throwing: -1
Slings: 0
Bows: -2
Crossbows: -1
Armour: 0
Dodging: -2
Stealth: -1
Shields: -3
Fire Magic: 2
Ice Magic: 2
Air Magic: 2
Earth Magic: 2
Poison Magic: 2
Spellcasting: 0
Conjurations: 0
Hexes: -3
Charms: -4
Summonings: -4
Necromancy: 0
Translocations: -5
Transmutation: -5
Invocations: -2
Evocations: -2
Experience: 2
Last edited by Klown on Saturday, 17th May 2014, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 20:19

Re: Species: Elemental Golem

Since you are dramatically forcing them in one direction, I think i'd be cool to give them resistances/buffs as they level elemental skills: +AC for earth, +EV for air and rElect at level 15, +rF/rC at 9, 15, 20
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 21:18

TeshiAlair wrote:Since you are dramatically forcing them in one direction, I think i'd be cool to give them resistances/buffs as they level elemental skills: +AC for earth, +EV for air and rElect at level 15, +rF/rC at 9, 15, 20

While extremely cool - this would be dramatically overpowered. I could see it working if we restricted their armor slots, though. Let's say completely felid armor restrictions (but they can wield weapons), but then they get 1 ac per 2 levels of earth, same for ev/air, and add rPois at level 10 poison (rElec move to level 10 also).

Now you are extremely forcing them into using elemental magic, BUT it's got a semblance of being balanced. If they can use equipment, then these bonuses would have be vastly reduced (only one pip of rF/rC, probably at a high level like 20, no more than +3-5 ac for training earth, etc).

#RacesWith+2UnarmedCombatWillNeverExist

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
Klown, TeshiAlair

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 23:36

Thanks for the feedback Teshi & tas. Both posts give interesting changes. :)

tasonir wrote:#RacesWith+2UnarmedCombatWillNeverExist

*plans to defy this one of these days*

I mean...having 27 Unarmed at level 20 instead of XL 22 isn't really an end-of-the-world scenario. :geek:

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 17th May 2014, 14:49

Updated with a couple new innate abilities and a new level bonus.

Easy complaint will be 'you don't even have to be a caster, can train whatever to 0.1 and get the buff.' Yep, but the point is to give you a buff of some kind. Not to force you to be a caster. Though that is definitely a nice option here as well.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 17th May 2014, 19:00

That's a really big level 10 spike. I'd split it and go 10 and 15. Keep the poison the same at 10, and rN++ at 15, just because poison magic does trail off.

Also, I would have a min ability level req still. Even if it is only level 5, because thats quite easy to get to by level 10, and well worth it to grab a free resistance.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 02:27

+2 Exp
why

For this message the author KittenInMyCerealz has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 18th May 2014, 03:44

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:+2 Exp
why

To be a non-conformist to the standard -1,0,1 :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 21:44

You can always have the highest elemental school require a minimum level before you get the bonus. Say you must have level 5 of the school or higher to get a bonus. Tie would be determined by which one you trained first.

Try to keep a race based around it's central concept, throwing on aptitudes that are outside of the normal range makes it less viable, not more. I don't think there's any need for a +2 exp race ever. If there was, the race concept should revolve around fast learning in some way.

To be clear, I love the +2 unarmed aptitude, and wish it did exist. But I know the general vibe of the forum is that it's probably never going to happen (gargoyles briefly had +2 before it was nerfed to +1 before they were released). And unless you're really trying to force all golems into unarmed, there's really no reason why their weapon skills have to be so low. Something like all weapons at 0 and unarmed at 1 would be perfectly reasonable. You don't have to try to "innovate" every aspect of the race - make the not important parts simple and let them take a backseat to the part that defines the race - the elemental affinity bonus, and the general robustness (high hp, mp, MR, rMut) vs slow movement tradeoff.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:13

Since you are dramatically forcing them in one direction, I think they are a terrible race.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 22:15

1. Roll up an Elemental Golem.
2. Find an enhancer staff.
3. Instantly ascend with the Orb.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 15:33

As a golem, you don't eat and can't quaff potions?
Comborobin Admin

Return to Game Design Discussion