Allow autotravel to consider other floors

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 10:45

Allow autotravel to consider other floors

Currently, if you're going from point A to point B on the same level, autotravel never considers leaving the current floor unless it is the only possible way.

It would be nice if there was option to leave the current floor was allowed more often; it would help somewhat with high metabolism characters, on floors (e.g. twisted cavern) generated in a way to have huge travel times, or just to appease OCD tendancies.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
XuaXua

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 11:45

Re: Allow autotravel to consider other floors

Hurkyl wrote:Currently, if you're going from point A to point B on the same level, autotravel never considers leaving the current floor unless it is the only possible way.

It would be nice if there was option to leave the current floor was allowed more often; it would help somewhat with high metabolism characters, on floors (e.g. twisted cavern) generated in a way to have huge travel times, or just to appease OCD tendancies.

This could have surprising consequences (for example, dipping through an unexplored floor with nasties still around, because it saves some tiles).

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 12:35

Patashu wrote:This could have surprising consequences (for example, dipping through an unexplored floor with nasties still around, because it saves some tiles).

I think these can be dealt with (e.g. only fully explored floors, avoid floors with warnings, or more intelligent heuristics); I wanted to find out if people are even open to the idea before trying to hammer out details.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 15:27

Patashu wrote:This could have surprising consequences (for example, dipping through an unexplored floor with nasties still around, because it saves some tiles).

That can already happen with the current algorithm, with the right circumstances. In fact, I died to it once.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 17:35

I'd like it if all autoexplore included a heuristic like "take the shortest route that avoids bringing previously known monster locations into LOS whenever possible" or "take the shortest route that will expose the least number of unexplored tiles." And for autotravel through other floors, "Pick routes that use up-stairs over down-stairs whenever possible." Avoiding floors with warnings is a good idea too.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 17:58

Yeah, I'd actually prefer if auto-explore were *more* willing to take longer routes to avoid areas around known enemy locations. Of course you can use exclusions but it can be a bit clunky.* "Saving hunger cost" is such an incredibly low priority for 99% of characters that making auto-explore place any significant value on it, at the expense of other considerations, would be really bad. And if you are interested in low turncounts then you are going to be extremely minimal/careful in your use of auto-explore, anyway (if you use it at all).

* The only time this is really, really bad is with curse skulls, but in this extreme case I consider that a problem with curse skulls rather than auto-explore, since curse skulls are extremely problematic, but [/derail]

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 19th May 2014, 19:35

and into wrote:curse skulls are extremely problematic
Start a thread; I want to hear more.

Return to Game Design Discussion