Fighting Skill

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 23:31

Fighting Skill

I've heard that the fighting skill is getting changed. When is this change planned? I've been looking forward to it ever since I started playing casters.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st April 2011, 23:46

Re: Fighting Skill

I hope soon after 0.8 release. I've already suggested to make the HP bonus (Fighting^2) / 5 instead of (Fighting * XL) / 5. To compensate, we can make base HP linear or more linear. Currently it grows slower as level rises. As you can see in dolphin's nice graphic. Thanks by the way :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 06:17

That formula seems like it could be more problematic than the current one. Unless species hp was changed fairly dramatically, you'd need a lot more fighting skill (rather than less, which I think is the goal) on a caster to get the sort of HP that was possible before. By that, I mean instead of training fighting to 5-10, you'd want to train it to around 12-17. I'm not saying the proposal is a bad one, but I think it would have to be implemented very carefully in order to not make things worse.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 10:26

no prob.

I thought that we were going to increase racial HP and reduce HP gained from fighting so that the squishies don't have to train fighting to avoid one-shots. Will linearizing HP growth increase it enough?

P.S. I'm still hoping for Koboldlord's 7-tier HP intrinsic for racial HP.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 11:26

Yes, making racial hp linear is a buff. Especially at high XL, where fighting is being nerfed more. I'll provide an example.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 22:38

Let's compare a human who trains fighting to 10, 1 skill level per XP and then stops training it.

Fighing HP bonus = (fighting²)/5
racial HP linear = 10 + 5.5 * (XL - 1)

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
dolphin

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:16

Wouldn't this give melee fighters with xp to burn on fighting a lot more HP late game? Especially since those are often played with races with good racial HP growth.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:32

Galefury wrote:Wouldn't this give melee fighters with xp to burn on fighting a lot more HP late game? Especially since those are often played with races with good racial HP growth.

Yes, tough races with good fighting aptitude will be buffed a bit. But most chars don't train fighting all the way to 27 so the buff might not be that big. And we can adjust racial HP and fighting aptitude for each race if needed. It will need some balancing, that's sure.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th April 2011, 09:57

I would not worry about late game hp - reaching high levels in fighting is a serious xp investment.

But early game hp can be affected. I once rolled an Ogre wanderer with 8 skill in fighting. +10 hp at first level can mean a lot - and it's not very hard to earn +20 hp early. Altough that may not be a bad thing. It would make a bigger difference for early hp with species with good fighting skill (if they are melee types, of course), and making the early game a little bit easier with MdFi and the like.

If this is not intended for some reaseon, we can always use MIN(Character level, Fighting skill) * Fighting skill, or something similar.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th April 2011, 15:11

I've set up a wiki page and a nice chart to get started.

Return to Game Design Discussion