Praying over corpses

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 00:06

Praying over corpses

This question has probably already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find the answer. Is there a reason for making Beogh, Lugonu, Makhleb, Okawaru and Trog require that the player prays over each individual corpse, while Fedhas Madash is happy with one in their general vicinity? Is the annoyance this provokes somehow payment for the strength of these gods?

For this message the author Velikolepni has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 00:26

Re: Praying over corpses

There's been some dev interest expressed in removing corpse sacrifice from most gods altogether (Fedhas, I believe, being the exception).

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 00:57

With Chunk eating leaving...you no longer will be sacrificing ANYTHING. So...yea. Come to think of it though. With chunk eating leaving...Trolls, Kobolds and Ghouls are getting pretty majorly nerfed...and all races except Mummies, Trolls, Kobolds and Ghouls are getting boosted.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 06:32

Velikolepni wrote:This question has probably already been asked and answered, but I couldn't find the answer. Is there a reason for making Beogh, Lugonu, Makhleb, Okawaru and Trog require that the player prays over each individual corpse, while Fedhas Madash is happy with one in their general vicinity? Is the annoyance this provokes somehow payment for the strength of these gods?

Fedhas was designed and implemented much later than the other gods, and by then I suspect the devs didn't like that style of corpse sacrifice very much anymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 20:21

Actually the decomposition effect wasn't originally a 'prayer' at all, it was an ability under the ability menu, and had slightly different tactical implications than simply 'gain some piety' (after all you can upgrade the resulting toadstools, and they block movement) So in original design, Fedhas's "prayer" was a different sort of ability altogether, it just sort of merged into the prayer ability later.

As to why the corpse sacrificing gods don't take everything in LOS, I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, but probably also has considerations for chunk-eaters particularly (Although it's my understanding it's the intention to get rid of that.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th May 2014, 21:18

Siegurt wrote:As to why the corpse sacrificing gods don't take everything in LOS, I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, but probably also has considerations for chunk-eaters particularly (Although it's my understanding it's the intention to get rid of that.)

I don't understand what these considerations might be. After a fight that leaves x corpses, a character worshiping Fedhas eats however many they need and then presses p once to sacrifice all remaining corpses in sight. Another character worshipping Okawaru eats the same amount and then has to press p a number of times while moving from corpse to corpse. How is that necessary in any way?

For this message the author Velikolepni has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 21:07

I don't claim that I know that it is, but that's all that occurs to me attempting to stretch for a reason that it might not have been implemented. More likely though it's because "no-one felt like it"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 21:36

Siegurt wrote:I don't claim that I know that it is, but that's all that occurs to me attempting to stretch for a reason that it might not have been implemented. More likely though it's because "no-one felt like it"
It also doesn't work well with either weapon (Ely) or item (Nem) saracifices.

If somebody made a patch with did this and maybe added a line to those two gods stating they are special, I'd push it. Maybe this should wait until PleasingFungus' god description patch and/or new nemelex land.

Removing weapon sacrificing too would be ideal but let's not get bogged down over what should be done eventually.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Return to Game Design Discussion