Nemelex changes/removal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 10:02

Nemelex changes/removal

i know it was proposed and imo it's a very bad idea

there are gods centered around melee&ranged (trog, okawaru), magic (sif, vehumet), invocations (ely, qazlal etc), stabbing (dith, partially ash), but nemelex is the only god centered around evocations. removing it would leave artificers and anybody who want to heavy use evocations without a god designed to help this play style

playing nemelex is an unique experience comparing to other gods, he is one of the most versatile ones too, removing/gutting it would make crawl more bland

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 10:42

Re: please, don't remove nemelex

On the contrary, I think it's probably the best way forward, and I say that as someone who really enjoyed playing with Nem.

The last few versions have seen Nem undergo some streamlining, a lot of it pretty helpful, but even with the most recent changes (removing Experience and Trowel and putting Helix in Deck of Oddities, especially), he still remains a god whose only drawback is the huge amount of time you spend juggling your inventory while rewarding you with a lot of duplicated powers that only accomplish letting you train one skill instead of numerous skills. And while removing overpowered cards may help Nem feel more balanced, it doesn't really reduce the level of inventory screw, much less the tedium of sucking up everything in the Dungeon. Now that XP and Helix are out, all you really get with Nemelex are four different kinds of slot machines, three of which require tedious management to use optimally, and almost all of which merely duplicate other effects. Nem doesn't have much that's unique to Nem anymore other than the sheer fact that you get all of those tools for a minimal skill investment and you can use them for literally no cost except the half a turn you spend wielding a deck (and the dozens of minutes you spent exhaustively managing your bulging backpack filled with cards), and that isn't really a uniqueness that is highly desirable anywhere in Crawl.

I think the only way to keep Nem is to dispense with everything that exists currently and start anew, maybe keeping the core concepts of "evocations," "cards," and "fortune." A god of luck is a nice chunk of flavor to have in Crawl. All my ideas, however, have been crap. But I don't think the current incarnation of Nemelex really deserves its spot in the game. Nem either needs to be totally reformed or removed.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 6
blackcustard, cerebovssquire, dolphin, duvessa, Lasty, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 12:13

Work towards reform. New cards.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 13:28

I like the flavor of a goddess of housekeeping. Not many roguelikes actually let you play a combat butler or murderous maid. I don't so much like having to manually tidy up every single square myself, instead of letting my character take care of that.

I like the idea of a conduct that requires you to sacrifice most of your loot instead of saving it just in case, but at the moment the choice is too easy. You can trivially sacrifice only stuff that is guaranteed to never be useful and never need to risk getting rid of anything.

So the idea I like best is mandatory item sacrifice that is automatic and unavoidable. All items, all the time. Once you step on something, you have until you step off that tile to pick it up. Once you step off that tile, anything on that tile is tidied up automatically and gone forever. Anything you drop or fire from your inventory is properly disposed of and gone forever. Anything you see on the ground is automatically tidied up if you leave the level, in order to prevent the player from just dropping exclusions on useful consumables.

This no-stash conduct is distinct from Jiyva's no-stash conduct because you get exactly one chance at every item you find, rather than having to race a bunch of friendly NPCs. On the other hand, there's no work around where you can stash anyway, even imperfectly. Jiyva will only occasionally take an item that is sitting on a stairwell on a level you only visit to use your spellbook stash, but Nemelex would allow no such workaround. If you want to save that spellbook until you can learn Haste from it, you'd better give up the inventory capacity for as long as required.

Another benefit of having a dramatic no-stash conduct like this is there's no longer any motivation to have a tiny chance of arbitrary screwjobs from every deck. It's okay if decks of summoning always produce some sort of vaguely-useful to powerful monsters, and if decks of destruction always deal some level of direct damage to enemies in sight, because they are replacing a massive stash of other ranged attacks and evocables that most other characters can just leave on the floor when they're not using them.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
blackcustard, TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 13:28

he still remains a god whose only drawback is the huge amount of time you spend juggling your inventory while rewarding you with a lot of duplicated powers that only accomplish letting you train one skill instead of numerous skills

no, the main drawback of Nemelex, like every other god except chei and xom (and maybe Trog, I guess) is that you cannot worship a different god.

In addition, Nemelex does absolutely nothing for quite some time upon joining.

Nemelex has problems, but his power level is not anywhere near the most pressing.

---

I'm going to ignore deck of wonders in this next part, because I think giving Nemelex a strategic impact on the game is still wrong and bad and should be removed. Let's assume he gifts destruction, summoning, and escape only.
This post will attempt to explain from my personal perspective the good and bad parts of Nemelex and argue for at least keeping a god with the same general design in crawl.

---

Here is the design of Nemelex: he is one of few gods centered around active abilities. In fact, I suggest that Nemelex is the most active god; among other gods who have only active effects, we have Elyvilon, and I suppose also Zin and maybe you want to count Fedhas. I do not think it is a stretch to say that Nemelex feels more of an active god than Zin (none of Zin's abilities give you an effective way to kill enemies on their own) or Fedhas (you still end up fighting alongside your plants and doing much of the work yourself). Elyvilon is different in that Ely has a very narrow impact on the game, though that narrow impact is even more powerful in its own way than Nemelex (instakill offense beats even legendary hammer card, and guaranteed life saving and tons of self-healing beats out escape decks).

If you think that Elyvilon alone fills the niche of "active ability god" sufficiently, then removing Nemelex makes sense. I do not think this is the case (and Ely, of course, has her own list of problems, and personally I think they are even worse than Nemelex's since they are harder to solve, though that is of course a different topic so I will say no more here).

So what Nemlex does, as a god, is he gives you active abilities that dramatically change the way your character approaches dealing with enemies. Unless you choose to make pacification your main offense with Ely, no other god does anything like this. In addition, and importantly, Nemelex gives a tremendous breadth of different effects to the player--and this is something that definitely no other god can match.

The problems with Nemelex are, I think, almost entirely in implementation instead of design.

I will begin by discussing design.

Nemelex is a god based on giving the player a large selection of possible "effects". In the particular implementation that is in crawl, Nemelex does this via gifting decks. In general there is no reason a Nemelex-like god who provides a large selection of effects to the player must use decks, but I do not see a problem with implementing a Nemelex-like god using a deck-like separation of effects.

As I mentioned above, I definitely do not think that the breadth of effects that Nemelex offers (i.e. the number of distinct cards he gifts) is a problem. It certainly makes Nemelex more complicated and harder to learn, but that's ok, because that's the entire point of the god. In creating a god who provides a large number of effects, there must be some form in which these effects are grouped: if you do no grouping at all (or put every card into a single deck), you have complete chaos (like Xom) since the player has no real control over what type of effect he is attempting to use. If you go to the other extreme and allow the player to choose from every effect at any time (like with most Crawl gods) then you either must limit the number of effects pretty seriously or bloat the "a"bilities screen to unusability, as well as giving the player too many options at once.

So grouping the different "effects"--or cards, in Nemelex's case--into a few different distinct groups--decks--makes sense. Providing one single deck does not make much sense as I said above, so the minimum number that makes sense is two. Nemelex provides three, currently (plus the one (wonders) I'm purposely ignoring). The groupings should of course be cards that loosely fall into a single category; at the simplest, these categories would be "offense" or "defense". With Nemelex, of course, the categories are "destruction", "summoning", and "escape".

From here I will be using "effect" and "card" interchangeably; and "group" and "deck" interchangeably.

Now, how do you let the player actually access these effects? The simplest possible implementation is to just give the player a random effect from the group he chooses--or, exactly how decks work in crawl when you wield them and e"v"oke. But allowing only that is not terribly much fun: see Makhleb's major destruction, for instance, already does this. So now let's provide the player with some other ways of drawing cards.

One natural idea for an ability is to allow the player a bit of choice over which particular effect to use. Nemelex does this with Triple Draw. Obviously this should have a cost, and indeed it does: it both costs piety and cards. Stack Five is the same general type of ability.

Deal Four is a different idea--instead of giving the player more choice, you make the effect more powerful (but keep it random--or, in this case, make it more random!). This is a neat idea. It is not one that is necessary for Nemelex to exist, like I would suggest Draw One and some ability in the Triple Draw/Stack Five vein is, but it's certainly fun. This brings us up to, broadly, three different ways to access the effects that Nemelex provides: the simple, random draw; the choice-at-some-cost option; and the power-at-some-cost option. That seems pretty reasonable and not too complex.

So that's my view of Nemelex's design. I don't see large problems there, personally. Now some discussion of how Nemelex is actually implemented in crawl, which is where the problems lie:

Nemelex is unusual in that he has two different sorts of "piety". There is the piety that the game actually calls "piety" and that you spend on his abilities, and then there is also "piety" in that what you actually spend to access effects are cards. This is needlessly complicated, and I'm sure it stems from implementing Nemelex specifically as a card-god instead of as an effects-god (and it is Nemelex the effects-god that I am suggesting is worth keeping, remember). Since you get both "piety" and "cards" by sacrificing items to Nemelex I hope it's clear why I would say they are really just two different forms of piety. I'm not sure that this is a bad thing (and if Nemelex is to remain the card-god then keeping the two separate types of piety is pretty much necessary).

I will now use the term "piety" only for the thing that crawl calls "piety" from here on.

Piety gain from sacrificing items is tedious, of course, but there is, thankfully, an easy fix: now that the player no longer has any control over which decks Nemelex gifts, switching to piety-on-kills is, from a gameplay standpoint, largely the same as piety-from-sacrifices.

The implementation of decks is also, obviously, problematic. It is probably Nemelex's largest problem, since it turns out that crawl decks not only have different cards but also different power levels: plain, ornate, and legendary. So actually Nemelex gifts not three but nine decks, and then additionally you get multiple copies of each deck (plus three more for wonders but again I am purposely ignoring that it exists).

One possible solution is to remove the different deck power levels entirely (so there are no longer "plain", "ornate", and "legendary" decks but just "decks"), and then to automatically merge decks of the same type together when the player acquires multiples. Think of it like ammo: you have 10 arrows, and you pick up 5 more arrows, so now you have 15 arrows. Similarly you could have 10 cards of destruction, and pick up 5 more to have 15 cards of destruction (the actual number of cards could be hidden from the player or not). This, of course, would require changing Stack Five to some other ability--or removing it entirely (since it is the same general ability as Triple Drawk the latter is not too problematic).

Those are the two interface problems that I see mentioned in regard to Nemelex. Condensing decks does not entirely eliminate Nemelex making inventory management more ... time-consuming (? this is not the word I want but I think my meaning here is clear) since three decks still occupy three inventory slots, but three is much less than ten or fifteen, and my other ideas (such as making decks into virtual items that you would view via the "a" or "^" screens or something) have other problems.

Nemelex specifically using evocations instead of invocations is again an artefact of implementing Nemelex as a "card-god"; if he stays the card god then this should stay but there's no need for a Nemelex-like god to use evocations instead of invocations.

Finally, there is, of course, how powerful Nemelex is as a god. There are many different ways to tweak this if it's necessary (I will make no arguments either way here, since I do not think I can do so adequately). You can tweak: how many cards he gifts, how powerful cards are, how cards scale with evocations, how much Nemelex makes cards better than not-Nemelex (including not making them better at all!), etc.

Since Nemelex is already implemented in crawl in the way he exists, I think that instead of scrapping Nemelex entirely and starting over, it makes more sense to take Nemelex and improve what is already there. But I have not seen the code; perhaps this is not, in fact, the way to go.
Last edited by crate on Friday, 9th May 2014, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 23
blackcustard, dolphin, evilmike, Leafsnail, MainiacJoe, nago, Patashu, rchandra, Sar, Yermak and 13 more users

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 14:04

Would cards be removed if Nemelex goes?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 14:31

I still think these would be significant improvements to Nemelex piety:
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11385&p=158703&hilit=nemelex#p158703

Edit: I like the spirit of KoboldLord's proposal, but in some sense it makes playing Nemelex even worse: you need high strength to carry all that extra crap, and carrying it conflicts with carrying Nemelex decks, and you can no longer drop excess decks you receive. Forcing you to go all-in on inventory on a god that's already got problematic inventory interactions doesn't seem great. Jiyva at least offsets its inventory-focus by giving you conservation and extra strength if you need it.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 14:36

I certainly agree that Nemelex isn't perfect. His whole piety system could stand a good once over and deck gifting is a bit messy at the moment, but I don't think he's got enough problems to warrant being put through the meat grinder.

crate wrote:I'm going to ignore deck of dungeons in this next part, because I think giving Nemelex a strategic impact on the game is still wrong and bad and should be removed.

Pretty sure you mean Wonder. Dungeons hasn't been gifted for a while now. Hell, it was removed whole hog alongside several wonders cards just recently. (The cards in question being experience, helix, sage and trowel) If that wasn't just a typo you may want to gloss over recent Nemelex changes and see how that fits with your ideas and beliefs.

Also, you're going to have to explain your reasoning on that particular comment, especially since you're sweeping it under the rug to frame your argument. What exactly do you mean by having a 'strategic impact'? Why is it bad? Give us a few other things with such strategic impacts that are also in Dungeon Crawl, and why they should also be removed, or why they're special and should be kept if Nem's strategic impact shouldn't be.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 14:56

Lasty wrote:Edit: I like the spirit of KoboldLord's proposal, but in some sense it makes playing Nemelex even worse: you need high strength to carry all that extra crap, and carrying it conflicts with carrying Nemelex decks, and you can no longer drop excess decks you receive. Forcing you to go all-in on inventory on a god that's already got problematic inventory interactions doesn't seem great. Jiyva at least offsets its inventory-focus by giving you conservation and extra strength if you need it.

Shuffling unmarked decks of the same type together is something that should happen with or without other reforms. There's no reason to make Nemelex players manage a stash of twenty spare decks of summoning, full stop. Loads of separate but identical decks is not a meaningful limit on anything because Ctrl+G exists and walking through empty levels to your card stash is never going to be a challenge or a relevant cost. It is pure extra annoyance that doesn't even affect power or versatility in any meaningful way.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 5
Bloax, earLOBe, Lasty, Sar, Shard1697

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:00

Originally, I was in agreement with gammafunk's post on crd (that Nemelex merely duplicates other effects), but crate's post changed my mind. So the key with Nemelex is that you get various ways to access those effects, namely random(Draw One), some control(Triple Draw), and combos(Deal Four), and that is not a bad base for a god. (Deal Four in particular seems similar to those spell blending proposals that cropped up in the Sif Muna discussion, now that I think about it).

Agree that currently the interface is the bottleneck, and moving to some form of virtual decks would probably help.

For piety gain, I think it was and_into who suggested some form of auto sacrifice - either the dungeon simply generates x% less loot, or that Nem randomly claims some items/corpses/etc at the moment they drop. This would ease the interface burden considerably.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:23

They removed exp and trowel altogether and helix from his decks? meh..

Nemelex used to be fun back when one could make infi bazars, even tho that was a bit OP, and exp scumming by saccing all food when joining made things a bit too easy. Still having all these options was what made nemelex unique and worth the extra effort. He could get you out of all kinds of trouble even bad mutations.. if you were lucky :)

After they made decks no longer dependant on the type of stuff you sacced i thought he'd be fine, one of the few gods with a different conduct then killing dudes (like i wasn't doing that already) or praying away corpses.
As things stand there seems to be not much of a reason to go nemelex anymore, might as well remove or reform him to a different type of evo god, kinda sad i really loved the flavor and didn't mind the deck juggling too much, i always used to drop them somewhere nearby not like enemies could use them.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:33

The flavor hasn't changed. You never liked the flavor. You just liked being able to scum out extra power by abusing the system that was in place.

For this message the author Megabass has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rockygargoyle

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:43

Megabass wrote:The flavor hasn't changed. You never liked the flavor. You just liked being able to scum out extra power by abusing the system that was in place.

That wasn't my point,...
It's not like i don't still like the flavor, the deck juggling just isn't worth it anymore, and without those cards nemelex really doesn't provide something one can't get in another way. The good thing about him was he could help you in a lot of different ways, strategically and tactically, but always at the cost of not being entirely sure about what you're getting.
Now everything that made those risks worth it has been removed.
Example: If i want good summons and ranged options i'm better of with Mahkleb, far more consistent adds free vamp as well and far easier to manage.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:48

Lacuenta wrote:If i want good summons and ranged options i'm better of with Mahkleb

Not even fucking close.

Edit: legendary destruction is, among other things, full-LoS LCS, a fuckload of orbs of destruction flying in all directions, and orb of electricity (best Makh's power). Legendary summoning are hordes of wasps that paralyse and murder everything not-rPois, daemons (including ones Makh will never give you, like fiends and reapers), bone dragons or mass-enslavement. Oh, and legendary escape decks have some of the best escape options in the game (and not only escape, Velocity gives you Haste which you might as well use offensively if you lack actual Haste). And it's not quite as random if you stack them or use one of multiple abilities Nemelex gives you. And it doesn't eat through your piety like Makh's stuff does. And you have an ability to use 4 (!!!) of those effects during a single turn (which used to be able to kill you with destruction, but not anymore)!
Last edited by Sar on Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:55, edited 4 times in total.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rockygargoyle

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 15:53

Where did this proposal come from? What problem would removing nemelex solve?

Hey, Fedhas makes you manage piles of fruit, let's remove him.
Evy makes you hoover up crappy weapons, let's remove her.
Oki gifts too much stuff and clutters up the dungeon, remove!

The changes to the sacrifice system could just be extended to piety on kills, no deck weighting. There you go, nemelex is pretty much fixed. If you don't like the idea of players carrying piles of evokables, nemelex isn't the only offender.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:04

Fruit piles are fixable.
Evy is dumb but in a "eh its an option" way.
Oki cluttering is da bes
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:06

damiac: The proposal came up in the mailing list (crd), and there's some discussion there too. Link for interested parties:

http://sourceforge.net/p/crawl-ref/mail ... f-discuss/

Sar: you're talking about power. But if you stripped away the card stuff from Nemelex, he's basically a god that gives random destruction, summon, or escape effects. That's pretty close to Makh in 2 out of 3 aspects. The main difference is that you get to layer over some control (Triple Draw, Stack 5) or combos (Deal 4) which are pretty interesting, and the card analogy IMO works well.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:12

Lacuenta wrote:That wasn't my point,...
It's not like i don't still like the flavor, the deck juggling just isn't worth it anymore, and without those cards nemelex really doesn't provide something one can't get in another way. The good thing about him was he could help you in a lot of different ways, strategically and tactically, but always at the cost of not being entirely sure about what you're getting.
Now everything that made those risks worth it has been removed.
Example: If i want good summons and ranged options i'm better of with Mahkleb, far more consistent adds free vamp as well and far easier to manage.

The significant difference is that Nemelex grants these all to you under the purview of Evocations.

As you said, worshiping Nemelex offers you a wide range of useful effects and abilities, if you're willing to deal with a little risk. What you're entirely ignoring is the relatively low cost associated. Sure, you can get random summons and destruction from Makh, or just learn the appropriate spell schools. Same thing with various escape methods, and the effects of many Wonders cards. But it's going to cost you an awful lot of experience to get all that online, luck to find the items you'd want to replicate the effects through spells, not to mention consumable expenditure.

And you talk about the current risks involved with card sharking outweighing its use, which is simply not true. Sure, there are ways to screw yourself blind drawing from unmarked decks, but Nemelex provides you with plenty of alternatives to draw from dangerous decks. Triple Draw and Stack Five are both good ways to help mitigate drawing from a deck that might screw you over.

DracheReborn wrote:Sar: you're talking about power.

I'd wager he was expositing on Nemelex's potential strength in an attempt to refute the comment about Makh.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:16

DracheReborn wrote:Sar: you're talking about power. But if you stripped away the card stuff from Nemelex, he's basically a god that gives random destruction, summon, or escape effects.

This is how I feel. Experience, Trowel, and Helix were Nem's most interesting effects. Incentive enough for me to tolerate the hoovering and inventory management. In his current state (distribution of semi-random effects that can nearly all be found elsewhere), I will likely never worship him again.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:17

Yes, I was talking about power because I read Lacuenta's post as "Nemelex without wonders is like Makhleb, but worse", which I don't believe to be true.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:27

Not exactly what i meant but, yeah like eeviac said, there is just not much reason to play him without those unique effects. And Mahk is probably just better since his destruction and summoning may be a tad weaker but eh free health and lots of it,

This has probably been proposed before but what if Nemelex just gifted you 1 deck then as gifts adds a random number of cards.
You can see the number of cards on the deck, and see how much he has added.
To stop scumming trowel and xp one could cap them based on xp levels, for example: Nemelex only has the chance of gifting new xp/trowel 8xp levels after the last one was drawn/seen.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:49

Why were Experience and Helix removed in the first place? I understand that they are extremely powerful but...so what? Isn't that the point of rare and valuable gifts? Removing them is tantamount to removing Oka/Trog's ability to gift X and Y type of weapons because "people will just scum until they are given them."

(Also, when were Helix and Experience removed? I see no mention of it on any change logs)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 16:57

^ http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 6f59bf0ec7

Actually I wouldn't mind if Trog/Oka stopped gifting weapons and armour. That's not the point of either god.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:02

I agree with crate's analysis, and I think describing Nemelex as well designed yet poorly implemented is spot on. I also agree that just making Nemelex into escape/destruction/summoning would be good, especially since helix, experience, etc. were removed anyway. So long as Shuffle is in wonders you won't ever draw one from it unless you are unspoilered (good luck w/ that) and using Draw Three and Stack Five to buff yourself with battlelust or shadow seems like not a great use of piety. Maybe Wonders could be moved entirely in a "non-fleeing, buff" effect direction, entirely, with cards that did stuff like gave high-end forms like statue or dragon form, but I'm not sure how well that would work. I think that question can be put to one side for now; Wonders could either be reformed substantially or removed. Experience and Shuffle and the like can live on in the random decks that can drop as items.

Some is outdated, and I no longer agree with absolutely everything I wrote in this post, but in general I still think these would still be improvements to Nemelex while keeping a different sort of piety gain, if that is seen as an asset:

Nemelex Reform https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10658

That was the thread that DracheReborn referred to earlier. The main proposal was to change Nem's piety gain into an auto-sacrifice conduct, which I still think would get around one set of Nem's problems.

The other set (inventory juggling) has been addressed by crate and KoboldLord nicely in this thread. I think addressing those two things would really make Nemelex into an excellent god.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:13

DracheReborn wrote:^ http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 6f59bf0ec7

Actually I wouldn't mind if Trog/Oka stopped gifting weapons and armour. That's not the point of either god.

I really will never understand this way of thinking, gifting stuff is the only interesting thing about oka.
Sure he mostly gives your mifi glowing robes and unusable weapons, but every now and then he gives those awesome +5 boots of rf+ and dam+5 or a artifact PDA. Which really makes you go woah!! look what oka gifted me!! :O
Its not like his conduct (killing dudes) is interesting or that heroism is so much fun to use it just buffs you by pumping skills so you get tougher/do more damage, and finesse is basically just another way to haste yourself. There aren't really any cool synergistic ways of using them except maybe trowing and hero.

For this message the author Lacuenta has received thanks:
Klown

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:15

Please, if you want to discuss the design of gifts from Oka/Trog, start up a new thread in GDD. This thread is about fixing Nemelex in order to keep him in the game. Thanks!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:17

Wow,
I am sad to think that you guys would consider removing Nemelex -- IMO by far the most flavorful/interesting god in the game.
I'm even sad that you removed the Experience/Helix cards... there are times when I'm playing crawl and I want a certain level of randomness, but xom is just too much.
This is the first proposed change I've ever seen to crawl that might get me to not update to a new version, or even compile my own.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:26

Is there a reason he needs to be either fixed or removed? If you like Nemelex, play them, if you find them tedious, don't. Power isn't an issue because the stance of "some things are more powerful than others and thats ok" has been established.

Obviously, if we can make them work better, super, but removal seems quite silly.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:28

Gotta agree with and into(I know, crazy, right?), deck of Wonders is now effectively worthless. Between things like Shuffle and Wild Magic, the risks of the deck are extremely high. And unless the rewards of such a deck are equally high(Experience), it's not worth using up valuable piety stacking them.

Which now turns what was almost objectively the most unique and interesting deck that Nemelex could gift you, into something that is going to be immediately thrown away the majority of players(if anyone is even going to worship Nemelex after this).

Still extremely confused as to "why" these were removed. They add uniqueness to the God(not every deck needs to be an in-combat thing). Carried with them some amount of risk(sometimes Helix removes good mutations, sometimes Sage trains skills you aren't using), and an effective piety cost associated with using the deck of wonders in the first place. And were completely irrelevant to the 'problems' with Nemelex as a whole in micromanagement, inventory clutter, etc.

I really don't see much of a reason to worship Nemelex without these things. Power concerns aside he just seems terribly boring with only 3 useful decks, one of which is escapes.

(And I wasn't trying to start a debate about the merits of Oka gifts, was just drawing a comparison, sorry.)

• Autocombine(or give the option to manually combine) unmarked decks of the same type to reduce inventory redundancy
  • Have Nemelex gift pre-ID'd decks and rework his second ability to be useful
  • Rework the way piety is gained
But leave the deck of Wonders alone, please. It is irrelevant to the actual problems concerning the God.
Last edited by NessOnett on Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:31

crate's post is very good, and some time in the next week or so Nemelex will probably be switched to Ash-like Exploration piety, removing piety both from item sacrifices and decks. (MarvinPA suggested Exploration fit better than Kills.)

Removing Nemelex may not happen, but at this point it's definitely on the table as an option. (Yes we're expecting a repeat of MD removal if it happens. No, we don't care.)
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks: 3
Lasty, rockygargoyle, zardo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:39

I think if decks auto-merge (And this does seem like a good idea to me) What I would like to see is:

1. When under Nemlex decks don't have a quality, the quality of the card effect is (with a random fuzz) determined by piety/evocation. This allows decks under nemlex to condense down to 3 or 4 (depending on whether wonders is kept, I think it needs some more interesting effects to justify it's existence, "offense buffs" or seems like a legit way to go)
2. Stack five needs removed and replaced, I suggest two abilities: a turn-using piety-costing "identify the top card of the deck" and a non-turn-using piety-costing "discard the top card of the deck without using it" (Alternately a no-turn using "shuffle the deck" which would accomplish the objective of changing the top card without using it, really it's just a question of whether the card gets burned in the process)
3. I don't think auto-sacrifice is required (my biggest problem with nemlex has always been the deck management, hoovering stuff is something I do with most gods and o,p,o,p is what I do with trog, oka, mak, etc. anyway) although it certainly does add a level of drawback to piety gain that's not present for anyone except Jiyva, I'd probably just implement 'pray' to sacrifice all items in LOS as a nod to interface ease, and then get on with life, but if it's decided that nemlex needs a larger drawback then something with auto-sacrifice makes sense. I think actually a fairly neat effect would be if things that dropped would just sometimes turn into cards, giving you piety and gift in one package ("As the corpse drops to the ground, it turns into a small pile of summoning cards!")
4. I think you should be able to see the number of cards in your deck (That is to say, I prefer it if cards in a deck are similar in most aspects to a regular stack of ammo)
5. If you find a deck in the dungeon you should be able to shuffle it into your nemlex stacks as a nemlex ability (I know dungeon decks have cards from multiple nemlex stacks, I don't have any problem with nemlex sorting those cards into your nemlex decks, and it'd be a way to get some cards that nemlex doesn't normally gift you into your nemlex decks, I know that finding decks on the ground is always a treat when I'm playing nemlex)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
and into

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:44

Calling experience an "interesting" effect is kind of ridiculous, but on the other hand I don't see what's inherently wrong with an item that lets you gamble with your character's future outside of combat, unless it's scummy/exploitable. And in fact the stupid sacrifice tricks (which weren't all that good in the end anyway) are gone.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:48

reaver wrote:
Removing Nemelex may not happen, but at this point it's definitely on the table as an option. (Yes we're expecting a repeat of MD removal if it happens. No, we don't care.)

People obviously have fun with nemelex as is(was).
Afaik he hasn't set ridiculous records or anything so he isn't actually breaking the game, infi bazars was fun but when you got to that point you might as well just finish the game, it was fun to do, not extremely usefull.
Much like ziggurats are fun to do and a nice way to be still able to use all the cool items you found, and ofcourse the feeling of achievement when you finish one or find even cooler loot.

Some people like the managing and stashing of decks for a small advantage, just like some people have fun managing beogh's orcs.

Imo you play a game like this for fun, and ideas of what is fun differ, might as well cater to many types instead of just one.

(sorry for the offtopic andinto)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:52

zardo wrote:Calling experience an "interesting" effect is kind of ridiculous, but on the other hand I don't see what's inherently wrong with an item that lets you gamble with your character's future outside of combat, unless it's scummy/exploitable. And in fact the stupid sacrifice tricks (which weren't all that good in the end anyway) are gone.

I said the deck as a whole was interesting. Huge benefits. Potential drawbacks. Often risky. Usually forcing piety usage trying to minimize that risk, or saving them until your Evo/Piety is higher to get better odds of better results. Both in-combat and out-of-combat effects as oppose to all the other decks which are almost exclusively in-combat only. It did something unique and different compared to the other decks which all carry some symptom of "hard fight, time to draw." It was the "long game" deck. It did things that weren't merely "flash in the pan." The effects, good or bad, were persistent and long-lasting. Which set it apart from the other 3.

Compared to as it stands now. Where it carries the same massive downsides. But the potential upsides are extremely disjointed and sub-par. I can't think of a situation where I'd want to blind draw from the deck of Wonders, and none of the effects are worth the piety cost to stack it.
Last edited by NessOnett on Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 17:59

NessOnett wrote:Often risky

Huh? I always Drew Three from it and/or Stacked Five. The only risk was Drawing Three and getting two XP cards, losing one!

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:02

Sar wrote:

Huh? I always Drew Three from it and/or Stacked Five. The only risk was Drawing Three and getting two XP cards, losing one!

Two of the Three potential "good" cards from the deck carried risk. You could get a sage card that trained an irrelevant skill. Or a Helix card that removed a good mutation or gave a bad one. These were less likely occurrences than beneficial outcomes, but they were still there.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:06

Exploration piety is a good idea!

There are so many ways to improve nemelex playability it seems really silly to remove him/her/it. What if

-cards/charges stacked by type with no power level (destruction, summoning, escape)
-an "ornate" effect" was worth two cards/charges, a "legendary" effect worth three, legendary draw 4 12 cards total
-or you know however many but that kind of approach. Sorry if somebody else got here first - I'd be surprised if I'm the only one to have this idea but I haven't read every Nemelex proposal ever

of course somebody has to re-balance all the math but hell I'd give it a shot

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:19

NessOnett wrote:
Sar wrote:

Two of the Three potential "good" cards from the deck carried risk. You could get a sage card that trained an irrelevant skill. Or a Helix card that removed a good mutation or gave a bad one. These were less likely occurrences than beneficial outcomes, but they were still there.

Please stop saying the Sage Card could train an irrelevant skill is a risk. Skills being trained is never a bad thing.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:24

Ghoul King wrote:Please stop saying the Sage Card could train an irrelevant skill is a risk. Skills being trained is never a bad thing.

Sage Card:
"Temporarily diverts incoming XP towards a skill"

Divert means it takes it away. Wasting exp on skills you will never utilize. Having your XP forced into throwing when you never use a throwing weapon is bad. Having XP forced into Short Blades when you're using Axes is bad.

Which is why prior to 0.10, it was common practice to wait out or replace a negative Sage effect because it was a decent hindrance to your character's progression.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:29

Re: Nemelex changes/removal

Ah. Excuse me, I was confusing it with some other effect.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:37

I believe NessOnett and I agree that Wonders needs to "get off the fence": It could be reverted to how it was, a strategic gamble (perhaps with some revisions to rarity and how the cards work to make the cost/benefit much more of a gamble than how it used to be); it could be moved entirely into "buffs not related to escape"; or it could simply be removed. But right now it is in awkward in-between space that I think is worse (in terms of design) than any of these three options.

Exploration-based piety sounds a lot easier to balance than auto-sacrifice, which perhaps wouldn't be much of an interesting conduct anyway (and overlaps somewhat with Jiyva), so that all sounds good to me.

I think Siegurt's ideas in terms of how inventory could be streamlined are all good. (With exception of keeping the active sacrificing, but that seems to be getting changed anyway to piety-on-exploration.)

[No worries about the Okawaru/Trog comments, they weren't disruptive on their own, but I wanted to prevent the thread from being sidetracked down the line, especially since the quality of discussion here is high thus far — (Hope I didn't just jinx it) :) ]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 19:04

What 'problem' would removing nemelex solve? I mean, at least MDs were cluttering up the race screen or something, and weren't much different from other existing races. Nemelex is nothing like existing gods. We still have the god of micromanaging orcs, so micromanagement clearly isn't the issue. Have the players just not been trolled recently enough for the dev's liking?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 19:33

what sort of ass-backwards approach is that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 20:17

"Well, we've identified the bacteria that's causing your dysentery, and we could give you antibiotics and cure it, but what problem would it solve? The enzymes in your stomach also make you poop, and you want to keep those, so that clearly isn't the issue."

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 20:18

I guess I just don't find the current situation terribly interesting. You'll spam every summon deck and stack every escape deck and draw three every destruction deck if you want to play "optimally," with a dip into deal four should things get too hot. I suppose you'll also stack wonders in order to get the like, single card remaining in the deck.

At this point, why bother having cards? Why not just have four active abilities that just do those things, instead of a huge suite of abilities that are almost always going to be used the same way, every time?

Of course, that said, I could be missing some tactical/strategic niceties. And even if I'm not, if people like the way this plays, well, hey.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 20:55

presumably the reason to remove nemelex is to add one or more of the many spiffy new gods people have been proposing/testing lately.

though I also think elyvilon is worse and in a more fundamental way - the basic idea of nemelex I think is really good he's just kind of annoying to play right now

how many gods should actually be the maximum is an exercise left to the reader

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 21:04

damiac wrote:What 'problem' would removing nemelex solve? I mean, at least MDs were cluttering up the race screen or something, and weren't much different from other existing races. Nemelex is nothing like existing gods. We still have the god of micromanaging orcs, so micromanagement clearly isn't the issue. Have the players just not been trolled recently enough for the dev's liking?

Obviously the devs are currently trying to patch Nemelex up, just as they have in recent versions introduced stuff (like inter-floor recall) to help Yred and Beogh be more fun to play, and other changes have been / are being considered, like different ways to streamline having your orcs equip good stuff. Nemelex is getting dev attention, but any time something that is problematic in terms of Crawl's design is in the process of being fixed, removal is always potentially an option.

reaver was simply being forthright about the possibility of Nem getting the ax, which I appreciate and is certainly better than the alternative, namely, that developers strive to be more guarded about even just discussing design decisions in GDD due to knee-jerk responses and accusations.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Brannock, duvessa, ElectricAlbatross

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 21:47

er, yes, I meant wonders above ... despite how much I love Nemelex as an idea the implementation is so clunky it's been a while since I worshipped him

I don't personally see Makhleb as nearly as much of an "effects god" for a few reasons:
1) The summoning/destruction effects he offers are less powerful (and the summoning ones have, probably, a higher cost as well) and there are fewer of them
2) With destruction, you do not get to see which effect you get before you target it (this makes it unusable in many situations, whereas deck of destruction only has the same risk with Pain card)
3) You have no control at all over which effect from the group you get
4) All the effects are offense

Additionally Makhleb provides a not-insignificant passive ability (heal-on-kills), so naturally the active effects portion of the god will be a bit less important.

You'll spam every summon deck and stack every escape deck and draw three every destruction deck if you want to play "optimally," with a dip into deal four should things get too hot.

Well this touches on other implementation problems. Stack five is, admittedly, probably an ability that should just go away (convenient since it's the most problematic with deck merging); this would then allow only identifying one card (via ID scrolls) so you don't have the best card for any situation available at all times. The other problem here of course is the way the "two types of piety" thing I mentioned earlier works in practice; possibly there should be more of a cost for just drawing a single card, or the like. But certainly I see this as an implementation problem instead of a design problem.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 22:48

Still have 8 spots 'til 27. :)

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 23:00

I wrote this down as an idea for a completely different Roguelike, but it might be usable. Let me change it back into crawl terms;

Short Version:
  • Remove random deck spawns, only Nemelex has a deck and then it's only one.
  • This 'deck' is not a physical item, but it held by Nemelex.
  • Nemelex expects you to be an artificer, he allows no real magic. [Non-Evocations-Magic is Blocked; this is as extreme as Trog.]
  • You may not draw from your deck unless it has at least 5 cards.
  • Your deck includes a maximum of 26 cards.
  • Upon drawing a card you may place it in your discard pile or throw it away (destroy it).
  • Certain cards are both BAD and cannot be willingly added or discarded. Nemelex adds these to your deck to increase risk.
  • During the spawning of a floor, some of the items (weighted towards the more valuable items) are replaced with cards.
  • These floor cards can be placed in your discard pile (to add into your deck the next time you shuffle it) or ignored (destroyed).
  • Though it's free to draw from your deck; it costs major piety to reshuffle it.
  • You can only reshuffle when your deck is empty (all cards either destroyed or in the discard pile).
  • Cards are removed at random if there are more than 26 when you go to reshuffle.
  • All cards are Level 0 when found on the ground. They level up with use.
  • Evocations still determines spellpower, when a card spell (like Bolt of Vitriol) is chosen; but the level determines the base spell (AoE, max dam, etc.)
  • Summonings and Destruction-typed cards gain XP through kills, Wonders/Dungeon typed cards gain XP more slowly, through use alone.
  • Cards like Experience and Helix are included, but they are weaker and there's a real cost to having them. [Either you waste multiple turns in battle or (if you choose to only have these kinds of cards in your deck) you have no magic.]

Yea, I'm considering making a roguelike with no potions, scrolls or ranged weapons; but only melee and decks; where deckbuilding is a key to the game. BUT; I'm perfectly comfortable with offering that as a possibility for Nemelex reform too (Deckbuilding instead of rigging existing decks).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}
Next

Return to Game Design Discussion