New sources of conservation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 15:20

New sources of conservation

Let me first say that I hate item destruction with all my heart and wish for its death every time a yaktaur's crossbow bolt of fire destroys my last scroll of blinking. Nevertheless, since it seems that the mechanic is not going away any time soon and in fact even places that were mercifully free of the problem like the Snake Pits are now full of it, let me at least suggest one small improvement:

let resistance to fire/ice provide conservation against damage from the corresponding element equal to 33% per pip of resistance. Thus, +++ of fire resistance would give the same effect against fire as an amulet of conservation, The amulets/cloaks of preservation/conservation would remain of course.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 15:23

Re: New sources of conservation

I've long felt that resists should resist item destruction as well, but one small correction - conservation is 90% effective, so each pip of resist would be 30%.

I'd rather see it removed entirely, or replaced by a scroll/potion timeout. But if they don't want to do that, then letting resists help would be helpful too.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 15:29

tasonir wrote:I've long felt that resists should resist item destruction as well, but one small correction - conservation is 90% effective, so each pip of resist would be 30%.

I know, which is why I wrote that each pip should provide 33% of the effect of the amulet of conservation. I wrote it badly though, sorry.

Indeed, just getting rid of item destruction would be best. I don't find it fun to drop all my scrolls every time I notice an enemy that deals fire damage.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 15:37

They already do sort of provide some resistance (since conservation now scales with damage, or at least it should). Besides, "looking at" itemdest was one of things that were supposed to happen during 0.15 development.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 16:24

Velikolepni wrote:Let me first say that I hate item destruction with all my heart and wish for its death every time a yaktaur's crossbow bolt of fire destroys my last scroll of blinking. Nevertheless, since it seems that the mechanic is not going away any time soon

I believe they've actually said they're considering removing it for 0.15, or at least changing it, although I think scrapping inventory weight is coming first. The reason nothing happened when all the discussions were going on before was more because there was already so much going on in 0.14, not because the devs didn't agree it was an issue to be addressed, as far as I know.

That said, if item destruction's gonna stay, I personally would at least be in support of this proposal.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 16:32

Sar wrote:They already do sort of provide some resistance (since conservation now scales with damage, or at least it should).
It's based on how much your AC reduced it, not the actual damage:
  Code:
    // Last resort for characters mainly focusing on AC:
    // Chance of not affecting items if not much damage went through
    if (!x_chance_in_y(postac, random2avg(preac, 2)))
        affects_items = false;

Resistances have no effect.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Patashu, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 17:03

Whoops, my bad.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 19:42

Do you need to be wearing conservation for that ac check to apply, or does anyone whose ac blocked enough have good odds of it not destroying anything?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 1st May 2014, 20:01

The latter. The point is to have AC partially ameliorate item destruction in a similar way to the way EV intrinsically does.

Return to Game Design Discussion