Fedhas needs more plants

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 19:02

Fedhas needs more plants

I know there was discussion about making fedhas more interesting so I thought I would make a thread to discuss it. I feel that more interesting flora would make fedhas more fun to play. Right now we just get mushrooms, oklobs, and spores/ballistomycete which are great and all, but every time I pick fedhas I just end up using wandering mushrooms the entire game (I found them useful all the way until zot, and they follow you around unlike oklobs). Fedhas pretty much doesn't have any interaction with bushes and trees other then getting miffed when you decide to burn them down.

In particular when you "grow plants" using a fruit, you just end up with boring "Plant" creatures. The only use I can see is to have plants for oklabs, or to just block off a corridor with a plant to escape (mushrooms tend to do this anyway much to fedhas' dismay). It would be great to get some bushes too with higher invoc to block off enemy advancement as they have good AC and HP. You could even try more exotic things like plants with thorns that hurt when you attack them (probably would need less HP). Maybe even vine plants that slow/entangle enemies as they try to pass through.

Wandering mushrooms are great but they are also the same every time. More mushrooms would be cool too. I think I love my wandering mushroom buddies too much to come up with good alternatives though.

As an afterthought: penance for attacking plants is very annoying if you accidentally hit them while confused. A warning would be nice, like the one when you are next to deep water and are confused. After doing that 4 times in one game I went and set up the options to make me push enter whenever I was confused.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 19:30

Re: Fedhas needs more plants

If you have good ideas for plants, see New Plant Monsters. But yeah, I would like to see some more plants for Fedhas eventually, though I think other gods have more pressing problems.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 20:37

Re: Fedhas needs more plants

dolphin wrote:If you have good ideas for plants, see New Plant Monsters. But yeah, I would like to see some more plants for Fedhas eventually, though I think other gods have more pressing problems.

This is great! I had missed the thread while I was browsing the wiki I suppose.

Return to Game Design Discussion