Mass Apportation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 21:02

Mass Apportation

Name speaks for itself. Do we need this spell?
Uses:
  • Big fight has just ended. And it is much more enjoyable now to look through one heap of items than to visit each and only then hit 'ctrl-x'.
  • Speed treasury robberies. (my dream)
  • Disabling monsters from picking up better weapons of their fallen brethren. (Extremely useful in prolonged clashes, best example - Vaults:5.)

I guess MA would be overpowered in Ziggurats. You could grab all items in two turns and whisk off. (Make it disabled by -ctele?)

Possible modification: incoming items deal some amount of damage (dependent on their type, weight?) to monsters they pass through. (Higher level, 5-6 instead of 4-5 but still pure Translocations, as no object is created.)

Upd.
  • Hunters would really appreciate it.
Last edited by Yermak on Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks:
Piginabag

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 21:29

Re: Mass Apportation

I would definitely find this spell convenient.
remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 21:36

I think MA would be very cool for stuff like looting Elf:3 and then teleporting away, and it'd be restricted by the fact that in order to get to the loot you have to somehow get around the contents of Elf:3 without getting killed.(Because if you were strong enough to fight them, then you'd just do that.)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 21:45

Slightly relevant: Is it really necessary to step on each cell for 'ctrl-x' to work properly? In my opinion showing all items per default would be a huge improvement on its own.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 22:48

If you're just interested in convenience you can get that by using the 0 command with regular apportation, that's what I always do if for some reason I have to do a zig.

Yermak wrote:Disabling monsters from picking up better weapons of their fallen brethren. (Extremely useful in prolonged clashes, best example - Vaults:5.)
I'm still hoping some day Crawl will just remove monsters' ability to pick up items, given the sort of shit it leads to (gosh it sure is fun moving every distortion/draining weapon to another level!). And once you do that this spell wouldn't really have much use.

Yermak wrote:I guess MA would be overpowered in Ziggurats. You could grab all items in two turns and whisk off. (Make it disabled by -ctele?)
This would only be overpowered if characters doing zigs had a use for that many items in the first place, which they seldom do (and if you can reliably survive getting to the stairs AND using two additional actions casting this spell and picking up items, you can probably just clear that level instead anyway).

khalil wrote:I think MA would be very cool for stuff like looting Elf:3 and then teleporting away, and it'd be restricted by the fact that in order to get to the loot you have to somehow get around the contents of Elf:3 without getting killed.(Because if you were strong enough to fight them, then you'd just do that.)
This sounds like it would be an absolutely horrible strategy, with or without this spell existing

Anyway just make tornado pull items towards you imo.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 23:44

duvessa wrote:Anyway just make tornado pull items towards you imo.

Wow, why doesn't Tornado already do this?

Return to Game Design Discussion