Tiny FR: Stats for Offline Players

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 16th April 2014, 19:07

Tiny FR: Stats for Offline Players

Would it be possible to add the kind of online statistics we get at the CAO scoring pages to the offline client?

The dream feature would be direct online communication between the offline client and the online scoring pages, unifying the statistics, but I imagine that's way harder. Instead, it would be nice to at least get the headline stats: winrate, total score, and average score. Seems like something you could fit into the high scores menu, anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th April 2014, 21:13

Re: Tiny FR: Stats for Offline Players

Having a local client spit out a webpage with your stats is certainly possible. Integrating offline stats with online stats is impossible because all stats are generated based on morgue files, which if you can just edit your own text file and upload it to the server, then cheating is trivial.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 18th April 2014, 17:48

But don't games like ToME do this with their clients? It's not a feature I'm actually interested in having, I'm just curious.

I'd also prefer something that doesn't "spit out a webpage;" it seems like a bit of screen space used for other scores in the high score menu could be used to give statistics like this.

I should also apologize for asking for something without having the resources to code it myself. If I could, I would!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th April 2014, 02:55

archaeo wrote:But don't games like ToME do this with their clients?
ToME4 has to use an "always online" mode just to prevent falsifying online stats from being completely trivial...and it looks like it would still be pretty easy to do (though I have not personally tested this hypothesis, for obvious reasons). I do not think it is worth anyone's time to implement that sort of thing for Crawl.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion