God concept: Ignitior, god of Fire

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st April 2014, 18:23

God concept: Ignitior, god of Fire

Here's a few ideas that are inspired by the Wind god thread, but then went off in a completely different direction inspired by the Salamander thread. The central concept is a god that grants transmutation-like abilities that combo together. All abilities are toggleable.

Ignitor, god of Fire
Dislikes: using Ice spells

Passive: Immune to steam, passively evaporates/boils water with rate based on piety

Abilities:
*: Flaming fists: Adds fire damage on hit. (2 MP, hunger, -1MP while active)
**: Flame Tackle: 1 tile dash into an enemy, dealing high fire damage, some irresistible damage, and dealing 5% max HP damage to yourself. Can still be used as a dash when not pointed at an enemy, still dealing self-damage. (2 MP, hunger, deals more damage if used with Flaming Fists)
***: Passive: Torchlight: Attacks have a chance to corona enemies. If Flaming FIsts is active, also has a chance to blind enemies.
****: Molten skin: +AC based on piety, rF++, rC-. Adds irresistible damage to Flaming Fists, increases irresistible portion of Flame Tackle. (3 MP, hunger, -1MP while active)
*****: Burnout: Leaves a trail of fire behind you. (3MP, hunger, -2MP while active)
******: Spawn of the Inferno: Haste, rC+ (ice spells evaporate before they even touch you), autoevaporates water. Increases damage from all abilities or upgrades them to hellfire. Fairly rapidly temporarily rots HP and stats while active as the fire consumes your body. (5 MP, massive hunger, exhausts and slows after, -5MP while active)
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st April 2014, 21:24

Re: God concept: Ignitior, god of Fire

Seems kind of like the god of ever-increasing fire damage for unarmed combat characters. Which I would love, don't get me wrong, I play unarmed all the time. But that's an extremely narrow character type that would be interested in this god, and gods should support a wider range of character types. I suppose flaming fists could still apply the damage to weapon users, but you'd probably want to rename it to flaming weapon, "imbue heat" or something like that.

Corona is a fairly weak effect, especially by the time you'd have reached 3 * piety, you should have plenty of accuracy.

haste was removed from okawaru because it was abusable, and while yours does have downsides like berserk, it might still be a bit too strong.

Toggled abilities are nice, but it seems like they'd basically all be left on at all times except for spawn of inferno due to the rot.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st April 2014, 21:41

Re: God concept: Ignitior, god of Fire

Sorry, I should have specified, flaming fists also works on weapons. Yeah, maybe "Touch of Fire" or something.

Part of my design goal was to make a melee focused god that magic users could take rather than investing as much into hybridization.

Maybe stacking corona that is increases blind chance, with the Flaming form being a much greater base chance?

What about losing HP over time for all forms, and making Inferno be only MS instead of full haste, with slightly less malus. Maybe something like 1.5% max a turn per buff, so it wouldn't be terribly burdensome early, but late game stacking all 4 would be 6% a turn, which is significant.

Also, would it be too fiddly to make the MP reductions be % based, but that % lowered by training invocations? (So, 5% min 1 for FF and molten, 7% min 2 for burnout, 15% min 4 for Inferno)
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Return to Game Design Discussion