Proposal: Remove the temple vault w/ transparent wall spiral

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 19:38

Proposal: Remove the temple vault w/ transparent wall spiral

As seen in https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11641 (the teleport trap issue in that thread is beside the point).

The vault is pretty, but tedious:
XuaXua wrote:I hate that vault anyway; too much accidental stopping because autotravel saw something spawn outside the spiral.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 4
duvessa, HenryFlower, nago, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 19:40

Re: Proposal: Remove the temple vault w/ transparent wall sp

We could just turn the glass to green crystal. Same look, but avoids the problems with autotravel.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 19:47

I think I'd rather have it removed. When the only way in or out of Temple is a long, 1-tile-wide corridor, you run the risk of getting trapped inside. Having transparent walls mitigates this somewhat (even unspoiled players will usually avoid running into an obvious dead end when dangerous enemies are chasing them), but the autotravel issues it introduces are are also bad.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 19:49

"Hey guys, I have this amazing idea for a vault! Let's make a vault that leads into the ecumenical temple through a one space long corridor. Now, that might sound boring, but here is he catch; THE WALLS ARE PARTIALLY MADE OF GLASS!"

*Applause*
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 21:18

Yeah, the glass is the only thing that makes the vault more interesting than just a really long 1-tile corridor, but it's also what makes auto-explore so annoying. I don't think the vault is every really interesting or fun at the end. At its most interesting, it just forces you to fight a tough enemy to get to the temple but lets you see what that enemy is before deciding whether to fight it or not. At its least interesting, it adds 50 turns to get to the temple and forces you to do those 50 turns manually instead of being able to use auto-explore or ctrl-G. That's not the best range of interesting-ness, and if the "you have to fight through a tough, but known, monster to get to the temple" case is desirable, it can be accomplished with a small glass hallway with a door to avoid the auto-travel annoyance.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 22:09

Quazifuji wrote:That's not the best range of interesting-ness, and if the "you have to fight through a tough, but known, monster to get to the temple" case is desirable, it can be accomplished with a small glass hallway with a door to avoid the auto-travel annoyance.

This could be a pretty cool vault actually. A short glass hallway with a door containing a somewhat out of depth monster and the temple entrance. It would force you to decide between grabbing a god that spawned outside of temple, using consumables to get into temple now, or waiting till you're stronger to get a god.

...Or you could run away I guess. Maybe the monster should be fast.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 23:21

I want to make a rare runed door + spiny frog glass Temple vault. How's it sound?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th April 2014, 23:28

I will hate you with all my hate.
I will hate you more than I hate whoever designed tomb.
I will hate you more than I hate whoever chose Mu's apts.
I will hate you more than I hate all the other things I hate that haven't been mentioned in this list.
</joke>
One a less spiteful note, I think it'd be a terrible idea, as it'd result in 5-9 gods being basically eliminated for that run. Furthermore, given the time an experienced player can make it to the temple in, it'd probably result in a lot of CTRL-Qing.
EDIT:
Just to clarify, I won't actually hate you, if only because removing vaults from my home game is really easy.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 8th April 2014, 01:01

Igxfl wrote:I want to make a rare runed door + spiny frog glass Temple vault. How's it sound?

Might as well make it randomize between a few suitable enemies, maybe centaur warrior, spiny frog, hell hound, black mamba, sixfirhy, etc.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th April 2014, 02:34

I think it will cause needless aggravation if you do it for temple but that sounds like a reasonable vault idea otherwise (just spawn some kind of loot in there instead).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th April 2014, 02:41

Spiny Frog isn't all that hard. Even I can do all of Lair without a deity.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion