FR: Invocations Description

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 09:21

FR: Invocations Description

This is a request that I think would affect my personal gameplay habits.

I want invocations to have a second page similar to the spellpower page on spells.
As of right now the only information you have about invocations are their success rate; you can't tell in game if further invocations training will help the damage of a Makhleb invocation or the number of demons summoned by Lugonu's Corrupt.
I think there needs to be in game description that tells the current 'Invocation power' vs. the 'maximum invocation power'. Page would also indicate if raising Invocations would lower the hunger cost of the ability.

Is there any reason this doesn't already exist? Outside of not being coded yet?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 11:44

Re: FR: Invocations Description

Ability descriptions can be found by hitting ? or ! to toggle descriptions mode in the (a)bilities menu. Most of these mention the relevant skill to train, and those that don't could easily be changed to do so; I doubt it would be controversial. Some abilities, like Berserk, get a really long description, whereas most of Makhleb's only give a sentence.

Actually putting in some kind of power meter would be fairly superfluous; the meter is your invocations skill level for virtually every ability where greater invo = greater power.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 11:51

In some cases it's less obvious; for example, Lugonu's Banishment is capped at 100 power which is achieved around 12 Invocations (I don't remember actual number but it's something like that). Training Invo further does nothing to improve your banishing ability (though it makes corrupt better so it's not useless). I also think it would be nice to know the chance of hostile servant.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
archaeo, TeshiAlair

Barkeep

Post Friday, 4th April 2014, 11:57

I just knew there'd be some cheesy power caps and weird curves where you get diminishing returns on invocations skill. In that case, making that more transparent seems like a good thing.

Return to Game Design Discussion