Remove the scroll of random uselessness

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 01:01

Remove the scroll of random uselessness

Proposal:
Remove the scroll of random uselessness.

Discussion:
Once scrolls of random uselessness have been identified they are trash and almost no one would carry them. Even in the identifying minigame they have a small role as they are just one among a dozen or so possible scrolls to identify. In my opinion they are not very different from the removed scroll of paper and I think they should follow that item into oblivion.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 01:14

Re: Remove the scroll of random uselessness

Replace with scroll of butterflies! ...Or just scroll of random effect (chooses a random other scrolls effect.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 02:00

Scroll of random usefulness would be more interesting. But that's already what decks are.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 02:34

Remove all useless and mostly-useless items, and replace them with nothing. If we're still worried about the mostly-defunct item identification mini-game, then just have a chance of squelching spawns of scroll of identify that take place on the first few Dungeon levels. Maybe an average of around half as many scrolls of identify as they are removed useless items, because after around Lair there are functionally all the scrolls of identify you would ever bother to use already.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Sar, Viashino_wizard

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 29th March 2014, 05:44

I think there's a settling going on where Wands and Scrolls are in the "reliable" category, Rings and Potions are in the "variable" category, and Amulets are in the "situational" category, and honestly that feels pretty healthy to me. In my opinion, I think rings need to be more complex to make ring selection more interesting, and more potions like Lig need to be added, but letting wands and scrolls be generally useful, or at the very least situational, but limited by space/weight feels reasonabl.e.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 13:33

Scroll of random uselessness serves one incredibly important purpose:
You read the scroll AHGFAZ MORLEI. You summon a stream of butterflies! It was a scroll of random uselessness
You read the scroll WHYDI DOTHIS. It was a scroll of immolation.
The adder bites your butterfly. Your butterfly dies.
Your butterflies explodes. x 19.
You die . . .

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 5
AzuredreamsXT, bcadren, MIC132, Sar, tedric

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st April 2014, 02:40

Lasty wrote:Scroll of random uselessness serves one incredibly important purpose:
You read the scroll AHGFAZ MORLEI. You summon a stream of butterflies! It was a scroll of random uselessness
You read the scroll WHYDI DOTHIS. It was a scroll of immolation.
The adder bites your butterfly. Your butterfly dies.
Your butterflies explodes. x 19.
You die . . .

LOL

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 03:39

Give the scroll a couple fun/semi useful mutations or maybe a stat boost. Make it rare and throw in something bad just to balance.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 2nd April 2014, 04:03

Indianageoff wrote:Give the scroll a couple fun/semi useful mutations or maybe a stat boost. Make it rare and throw in something bad just to balance.

So make it a scroll of mutation?

Myself, I'd like to see it get made a lot rarer and replaced with 'scroll of butterflies'. But I <3 butterflies so I'm biased.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
damiac

Return to Game Design Discussion