Proposal: Chei and timed portals

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 12:03

Proposal: Chei and timed portals

Let Cheibriados reduce rate at which timed portals dissappear. It's almost impossible to visit double portal on a floor and even one portal becomes inaccessible often even if no time spent on healing.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 12
Bloax, Cheibrodos, eliotn, khalil, Klown, Laraso, pratamawirya, Sandman25, Tiber, XuaXua and 2 more users

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 18:16

Re: Proposal: Chei and timed portals

This seems reasonable. I mean, he already slows down the orb run and Abyss changing.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 19:02

Hell, it's Chei. Let's give him a bonus, and just make him completely stop the clock on timed portals.
"You hear the ticking of a clock"
"Chei tells you 'No rush'"
"You hear the clock stop"

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 4
bcadren, Laraso, pratamawirya, zrn

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 20:10

damiac wrote:Hell, it's Chei. Let's give him a bonus, and just make him completely stop the clock on timed portals.
"You hear the ticking of a clock"
"Chei tells you 'No rush'"
"You hear the clock stop"

"Cheibriados tells it to take it easy."
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks:
damiac

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 02:15

What if, just so there is some kind of decision making, the timer starts back when you use one of Chei's invocations? That way there is still some strategy involved.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 06:07

jejorda2 wrote:What if, just so there is some kind of decision making, the timer starts back when you use one of Chei's invocations? That way there is still some strategy involved.

Keeping it slowed down but not stopped entirely would still require making a decision. You theoretically have more time to earn experience and find gear before doing the portal, but you're also following Chei, and will presumably have less efficient use of that extra time.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 11:12

I allways assumed the point of chei slowing down things was so they'd happen at rate which (by your scale) is the same as that you would get if you didn't have lead weights for feet.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 13:15

khalil wrote:I allways assumed the point of chei slowing down things was so they'd happen at rate which (by your scale) is the same as that you would get if you didn't have lead weights for feet.

I believe you're correct about that, but what I was saying is, it's Chei, already thought to be one of the weaker gods. So why not give him a little tiny buff, and make a Chei character actually have an advantage in these timed situations. It makes perfect sense for Chei, he doesn't want you rushing to that labyrinth, so he should make sure you don't have to rush.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 13:51

Yes, Chei stopping portal clocks sounds solid to me. Could be tied to some level of piety.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 20:57

Perhaps it slows based on piety, starting off at timed portals being (by your scale) slightly quicker than they are for everyone else, and when you reach max piety the timed portals stay around until you want to enter them.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 21:28

This sounds good to me. If there's no objection to this until the thread disappears (and I still recall the proposal :)), I may turn this into an implementable.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
damiac, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 21:55

This is just one of the downsides of being slow. The Abyss and orb run are currently exceptions there, but those are notably not optional parts of the game (in the case of banishment for the Abyss at least). Portal vaults being more difficult to reach in time seems not at all problematic here, especially since it's possible to use consumables to find them quicker.

Return to Game Design Discussion