Food illness effects

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 17:56

Food illness effects

[mod - danr - split off from forum diseases thread]

This thread has given me a genuine idea: what if getting sick from food etc. didn't just make you generically sick but could also give you specific diseases, which in game terms would be temporary mutations. So if you chow down on some orc thigh you run the risk of getting berserkitis for 1d100 turns or something. How does that sound?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 20:07

Food illness effects

As a simpler example, what if while sick there was a chance of vomiting and thereby losing nutrition. This would be similar to glow and the periodic releases of magical energy, instead it's just periodic releases of stomach contents until you feel better.

If done this way, contaminated chunks could still give you nutrition even when you get sick, but there's the chance of losing more than you gained.

Oops - this shoud be a new thread.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 10:33

Re: Food illness effects

You won't get far only eating "good" meat.

I always figured sickness was a trivial effect to scare new players into starving to death. I don't think it would be a good idea to make it something to actually be feared because death by starvation just isn't that fun.

Return to Game Design Discussion