The Problem of Formicid's Infinite Digging

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 13:55

Re: The Problem of Formicid's Infinite Digging

If you want to see what a game that encourages always digging zigzags before every dangerous encounter looks like, play Vanilla angband. (There's a beginner's comp going on right now: http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=156)

This is viewed as a dominant strategy in Vanilla because (a) Most deaths are from huge oneshot breath damage which requires monsters to have LOS of you (b) all dangerous monsters summon things like crazy and this is the only real method of crowd control (c) every race/class combo can dig through granite quickly and cheaply.

I imagine this Fo mechanic, if left in place, will eventually converge to everyone who plays it doing it all the time (unless there is only fodder around) as it becomes the "best way to play this character" unless there is simply no favorable terrain on the map to do it with. From what I can see going through the annals of Angband variants, that is what happened there (and several variants have changed a bunch of mechanics to discourage this style of play.)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 15:36

Good thing no races have traits that cause them to do the same tactic all the time

*cough spriggans and centaur kiting*
*cough DD god choice* (less of an issue, but still)

Also, seriously, you just said "here's why it is done in Angband: <list of reasons that don't apply in crawl> thats why we should remove it from Fo"

Formicids do a thing. This thing is strong. If you don't like this, either don't play them, or don't do the thing. This is why I never play spriggans or centaurs or DD of Makhleb. If something that is interesting and different from other races that you find tedious bothers you, then don't do it.

I get the GC/GSC and large rock changes because they did indeed help make Fo and Og/Tr more distinct, but please don't change the digging.

This thread is the most stressful thread I swear.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 17:30

If something that is interesting and different from other races

but digging the same tactical hideyhole every time is not interesting

Your examples are terrible. Makhleb is not the problem with DD, DD is still stupid and OP without Makhleb, Makhleb is a convenience that makes playing DD a bit less horrible. "Kiting" is a problem for all races, it is just less of a pain in the ass for Spriggan/Centaur.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks: 2
duvessa, n1000

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 18:22

Of course I agree with TDA, but let me expand on why you're wrong, TeshiAlair.

The worst possible defense of something under scrutiny is pointing out other bad things. When your mother punishes you for picking your nose you do not cry, "Sister sucks her thumb!" in defense.

The only time this type of argument is anything more than worthless is when resources are so limited that only one of a set of problems can be addressed or fixed and you hope to shift the focus to a more pressing issue. However, your examples are obviously less awful than the tactic I brought up in the OP.

If it's not obvious reread the OP until it is...Okay fine: The tactical advantage offered by digging is dominated by the move outlined in the OP, the intersecting corners. This is extremely bad because it 1) is tedious to execute 2) is entirely one-dimensional 3) mostly ignores generated layouts.

I am not going to address your specific examples in this thread, but you are welcome to defend digging if you wish, and are willing to defend it specifically.

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 22:37

Ugg. No, I can see what you mean, you're right.

There is literally zero argument I can make thats not "just don't minmax," and that in itself is a really dumb argument.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th May 2014, 23:44

Patashu wrote:What if Formicid digging effected 2 squares (square you targetted, square one cw or ccw from it randomly) or 3 squares (square you targetted, square one cw and square one ccw)? Then there is no way you could dig out a 'killbox' out of diagonal tiles, it would always have space beside it for another monster to squeeze in.

Alternative A: If you dig a tile and the newly dug tile has only diagonally adjacent open space, "You had to dig out an extra square in the process" and a random square is taken out to give it an orthogonal adjacency.

Alternative B: You can't select diagonals when digging, only orthogonals.

Did anyone read this post, btw? There are lots of ways to give Formicids infinite digging yet make angband style killholes impossible, and here are just a few examples.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TeshiAlair

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 02:09

Patashu wrote:
Patashu wrote:What if Formicid digging effected 2 squares (square you targetted, square one cw or ccw from it randomly) or 3 squares (square you targetted, square one cw and square one ccw)? Then there is no way you could dig out a 'killbox' out of diagonal tiles, it would always have space beside it for another monster to squeeze in.

Alternative A: If you dig a tile and the newly dug tile has only diagonally adjacent open space, "You had to dig out an extra square in the process" and a random square is taken out to give it an orthogonal adjacency.

Alternative B: You can't select diagonals when digging, only orthogonals.

Did anyone read this post, btw? There are lots of ways to give Formicids infinite digging yet make angband style killholes impossible, and here are just a few examples.

Yea, that's a really fantastic example. I also like the "Tloc Energy = Dig Charges" idea:
jejorda2 wrote: What if formicids absorb translocational energy and use it to move rock out of the way? So reading a scroll of teleportation or blinking gives you 3d3 more charges of digging.
Except without all the weird interactions with enemy spells and Tele Traps. Maybe make Blink scrolls provide more charges.

For this message the author Speleothing has received thanks:
Patashu

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 16:42

n1000 wrote:If it's not obvious reread the OP until it is...Okay fine: The tactical advantage offered by digging is dominated by the move outlined in the OP, the intersecting corners. This is extremely bad because it 1) is tedious to execute 2) is entirely one-dimensional 3) mostly ignores generated layouts..

So the problem with this is that it presumes:

1. That it is, in fact, tedious to execute. In actual fact, this requires "press aa, then use movement keys to walk 2-3 steps" Which is in fact less tedious than walking back to a corner in many instances. (And it's no more "one dimensional" than "walk around a corner or into a 1 tile wide hallway")
2. That as a positioning tool, it's sufficiently powerful that it dominates over all other possibilities (i.e. using existing corners) It's *as* powerful as ducking around a corner, but not *more* powerful, therefore choosing one over the other is a matter of which is more convenient (see point 1.)

It does ignore some generated layouts (Although I would argue that this is the whole point of digging in the first place, and in a corresponding situation a non-Formicid would use a dig/disintigration wand, or blink, or haste, or use swiftness, the additional access to digging is just to make up for the lack of other options)

Now having a corner close at hand whenever you need one is a powerful tool, but this isn't an argument about power (We'd have to get into a discussion about whether digging out kill holes is more powerful than all teleport/blink/haste effects, I happen to think power-wise the two balance relatively well)

It's current drawback (Hunger, a little nose, 50% slower movement while digging) isn't sufficient to prevent using dig "whenever it's convenient" If however we want to have it be reserved for "whenever it's REALLY needed" (To say, restrict it to being used as often as you use blink scrolls, as opposed to using at often as you do cBlink or Haste when you have it online and easily castable) You'd have to add further drawbacks or increase the ones that were there, or add "charges" to it (Which refilled "somehow") (Or maybe you could try and balance it towards "You really want to only use dig when you *really* need it"

Of the 'additional drawbacks' I've seen suggested: glow, more noise, more hunger, tempstatloss, and much longer digging time, in nearly all cases (except "significantly more noise in combination with longer digging time") it just involves more 5-ing to wait off the drawback, or more chunk eating (I guess we could do something drastic with hunger like the vampiric brand which does at least put a short-term cap on digging while leaving a long-term unlimitedness)

I think adding charges with a recharge mechanism to digging causes some inherent headaches, if you have limited charges, then you're encouraged to leave challenges alone until you have sufficient charges, then go burn digging holes before you accumulate more charges (Whether the recharge mechanism is exp, exploration or translocation effects) which involves a lot of tedious back and forth travel. If you have unlimited charges then regardless of how the recharging mechanism happens, ultimately you end up with 'unlimited digging' unless you have a limited source of recharging (and with limited recharging you'd have to do a great deal of fiddling to make sure you got "just the right amount" available, Fo's digging is intended to make up for the lack of escape options, screwing a late-game character just because they used to much digging early kinda sucks.)

Finally, I would argue ultimately you get more wands of digging and disintigration charges than you care to use with a non-formicid, and "having more access to digging than you ever need" is equivalent to having "unlimited digging" so the real issue here, is that Fo get access to this at the start of the game instead of "sometime later" which as I said seems to be power-balanced against their inherent stasis, and is no more tedious than walking to a nearby corner.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
damiac

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 20:27

+1 for the idea that all normal races already get more access to digging then they ever are likely to use. I generally only killhole on Elf:3 these days, I just can't be bothered to otherwise, and I drop several wands of digging on the ground throughout a game. Having access to it as an ability just means I also get to drop the one wand of digging those other races hold on to.

I also may be crazy, but I'd consider adding more noise to dig to be a benefit than a drawback. You just dug two diagonals and have your perfect kill hole, you want as many mobs to come to you as possible because you'll be killing them easily. The less you have to go out and try to intentionally generate noise to get more to come to where you want them, the easier it is. When you're in the killhole what you really want a shield of the gong and a giant mark on your back saying "Come fight me here". More noise isn't a drawback.

FR: Ability to self mark yourself while in a killhole. I might actually use killholes more then.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 00:21

The ability to do something isn't the same thing as a motivation to do so. Just because Formicids can set up murderholes everywhere doesn't mean that it's a particularly appealing strategy. To wit:

The murderhole is only really an improvement over ducking into a two-tile-or-longer corridor when

A: Enemies can target you through other enemies (Smite targeting, Bolt of Draining through other undead, etc)

B: Enemies can influence the battle but only do so when they have LOS specifically (eg healing allies, summoning things, etc, in cases where they demand LOS to do so)

or C: when enemies can Blink/leap/whatever to get behind you in the corridor but not in the murderhole.

These situations are not, collectively, rare per se, but they are not so common (And threatening!) as to be consistently worth setting up and retreating to a murderhole for every single fight you get into. Six Orc Warriors with crossbows are no more capable of stacking damage onto someone hiding in a corridor than a Formicid hiding in a murderhole. Formicids might 'break' certain branches or vaults because of their reliable access to a murderhole, but then, Mummies 'break' Tomb with their innate immunities; there's no precedent that it is inappropriate for a species advantage to substantially weaken the threat of a normally dangerous environment. Nor is the early access a problem specifically: most early enemies don't Smite-target, Blink, summon minions, or in any other way have their threat level reduced more by the murderhole than by a plain corridor. By the mid-game anybody who specifically cares to abuse murderholes can learn: Summon Elemental, Lee's Rapid Deconstruction, and any other spell I might be forgetting in the early to-mid range, often even if they're not particularly a caster character, to re-create this advantage, and this has been true for far longer than Formicids have existed so it's clearly not some gamebreaker: so good everybody does it incessantly even though it's boring.

I personally see no reason to mess with Formicid innate digging.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 01:12

Doesn't it make you hungry? So it's not infinite anyways~

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 01:50

A: Enemies can target you through other enemies (Smite targeting, Bolt of Draining through other undead, etc)

B: Enemies can influence the battle but only do so when they have LOS specifically (eg healing allies, summoning things, etc, in cases where they demand LOS to do so)

or C: when enemies can Blink/leap/whatever to get behind you in the corridor but not in the murderhole.

That's most dangerous fights.

Well to be fair there is also the issue of fast melee enemies surrounding you, but in that case being able to magically create a corridor anywhere is obviously far superior to having to walk to one.

It's *as* powerful as ducking around a corner, but not *more* powerful

It IS more powerful than ducking around a corner, though. Among other things, it requires fewer turns and precludes the possibility of being attacked from behind (but obviously doesn't prevent you from retreating if necessary).

But this is in the same situation as Felid/DD/Elyvilon/Force Lance, which is that certain important people want it to remain broken. Formicid digging is obviously an intentional mechanic put there by the developers with full knowledge of how it functions, and yet it has been implied that I am playing dishonestly by taking advantage of it. Even if that did not destroy the possibility of amicable discussion, it has made sure that I am no longer interested in amicable discussion.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks:
duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 02:45

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:But this is in the same situation as Felid/DD/Elyvilon/Force Lance, which is that certain important people want it to remain broken. Formicid digging is obviously an intentional mechanic put there by the developers with full knowledge of how it functions, and yet it has been implied that I am playing dishonestly by taking advantage of it. Even if that did not destroy the possibility of amicable discussion, it has made sure that I am no longer interested in amicable discussion.

I always thought the intent was more like 'You can do this (tedious, spoilery, slow, repetitive, your_choice_of_adjective) thing to gain an advantage, but Crawl would be a better game if this were not possible' rather than 'You can do this (...) thing to gain an advantage, and you should stop doing it right now because it spoils Crawl'.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 06:31

I realize that In my response I wasn't responding to the complaint of the OP, which I had actually disregarded, I apologize for not reading all of the thread's previous page before responding*

The complaint of the OP is not specifically with infinite digging, nor is it specifically with diagonal digging, its with *infinite diagonal* digging.

The point being that *diagonal* digging can create a tactical advantage that's more powerful than standard corners, and while it's apparently Ok to have that available sometimes, as it's a useful tool in some dangerous situations, having it available all the time is problematic, because it encourages one to do it all the time.

Now I personally use this tactic in situations where I have reasonable suspicion it will be useful, and not the rest of the time, that means for me, I'm pretty much using this tactic in Elf:3, sometimes around the Orc entrance when I first get there, often near the shops in Orc:4, Sometimes in Lair:8 (but rarely, most endings don't have a use for it) and sometimes in Pan. I use this particular tactic with all my characters, not just Fo, and I've almost never found that I don't have enough charges of digging/disintigration to use it in situations where I feel it's important.

Now having it available in an unlimited form for my Fo chars doesn't change my tactics *much* but it does allow me to use this to mitigate some nasty early situations (that gnoll pack on D:2 or that pair of orc priests who show up on D:3) however I feel like this particular use is balanced out by the lack of some of the more common escape tools for characters in that situation.

It also means I free up a couple inventory slots for my Fo chars (I don't think anyone has complained about this)

In *most* of my combats with a Fo char, a corridor is just as useful as a dug-out murder hole, and I want to draw critters back to explored areas to fight them anyway, so 95% of the time my infinite dig ability isn't used or needed.

Now if one is willing to use this ability, to not merely gain a tactical advantage where it's actually useful, but rather in all situations, on the off chance that it *might* become useful, certainly that would start to get tedious, and I suspect this is the crux of the complaint, in that it violates the "Low or no risk repetitive and tedious activity for some possible gain" (anti-scumming) design goal.

I feel like, personally, if we need to make a change, that the easiest way to take care of this is to not try to remove the "infinite" portion of the problem, but the "diagonal" portion. Simply make formacid dig only able to dig in the four cardinal directions, and the best they can dig is just as powerful tactically as regular old corridors, infinite digging becomes a non-issue.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 06:39

To test this assertion, I created a character (FoFi of Qazal) with the purpose of heavily abusing dig. Anything with smite targetting, summoning, or a particularly nasty polearm got the dig treatment. So, in practice, is this tedious?

...not really? It's about as tedious as rounding a corner, except less so since you're creating the corner. It actually reduces tedium, you're spending less time dragging enemies around since you can create an optimal position yourself in so many places. If it were heavily restricted like proposed, it wouldn't create less tedium, it would create more since you would have to drag everyone to your one hole for the level.

The distortion weapon I'm wielding is infinitely more tedious in all respects.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 15:37

Just thought I'd say that it is pretty weird/unintuitive that vision is not symmetric when under rotation by 45 degrees. I don't have any gameplay justification for why this should be changed, but I think giving one vision of the tile around the corner could be considered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 20:23

That's one of the deficits of mapping LOS onto a grid, technically a 45 degree rotation of this:

Code:
####
#  @
# ##
####

is this:
  Code:
#####
## ##
##  #
###@#

On the other hand this:

Code:
#####
## ##
# #@#
 ####

with a 45 degree rotation looks like this:
  Code:
#####
# # #
###@#
#####

Which is obviously bizzare (Since you can't walk through the wall at all), it's one of the deficits of diagonal movement across a grid, and why the diagonals are so different than the orthogonals.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 23:55

johlstei wrote:Just thought I'd say that it is pretty weird/unintuitive that vision is not symmetric when under rotation by 45 degrees. I don't have any gameplay justification for why this should be changed, but I think giving one vision of the tile around the corner could be considered.

This would have extremely weird consequences. Player characters would now have a 'magical' ability to see around corners and pillars:

Code:

###...
..@...
###...

Code:
..#..
.#@#.
..#..

It also breaks the following rule: If you have LoS to something, you have LoF to it too.

What straight line connects the @ to every . in the examples above? Nothing. So what would the animation be for shooting an arrow to those .s? You'd magically extend your arms to a tile a diagonal away and then shoot? It would break so much.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion