chunk root interrupts rest/autoexplore

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:03

chunk root interrupts rest/autoexplore

Suggestion:
By default the "something rots in your inventory" message interruption is turned off.

Discussion:

When something rots in your inventory a message appears that interrupts resting/auto-explore. Getting this message is rarely useful and most of the time it just anoying. I'm sure there is a way to disable/enable this message in the crawlrc file and some rare cases where this interruption is useful but having this option enabled by default seems to me as a bad choice. I think it would be better to have the interruption disabled by default and let all the player enable this in the case in which he needs it.

For this message the author Marbit has received thanks: 2
damiac, Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:26

Re: chunk root interrupts rest/autoexplore

That's a really good point. Is there ever a time where that message is useful?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:30

Maybe if you are a ghoul? I'm not very familiar with ghouls' food minigame.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 18:07

Food rot is nice to know about when you're a ghoul. Theoretically it's also good to know if you want to drop your chunks as soon as they rot for some reason.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 19:21

It might be useful if you have chunk spells (Sublimation/Simulacrum), since the auto_drop_chunks won't drop rotten chunks by default then. Possibly auto_drop_chunks=yes will fix that, though the options guide doesn't suggest it.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 19:59

I don't see why you'd want to waste a turn dropping something that will remove itself from your inventory at no cost to you. I mean, if you're burdened, yes, but don't be burdened.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 02:17

Could characters with no use for rotten meat (IE everything that isn't a ghoul or a saprovore) just throw away meat when it goes rotten? I don't think having it sitting around in your inventory adds much.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 02:26

Yeah, I think just removing rotten chunks of flesh entirely would be good. Saprovore isn't particularly important (and is almost exclusively on very strong species anyway). If having the warning for saprovores, simulacrum and sublimation of blood is desirable, then just print a warning while the chunk stack is still fresh.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Viashino_wizard

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 04:23

duvessa wrote:Yeah, I think just removing rotten chunks of flesh entirely would be good. Saprovore isn't particularly important (and is almost exclusively on very strong species anyway). If having the warning for saprovores, simulacrum and sublimation of blood is desirable, then just print a warning while the chunk stack is still fresh.

Keeping rotten chunks could still work as a ghoul-exclusive thing, since eating rotten meat is a big part of their flavor and rotten vs. fresh chunks make a much bigger difference to them than to other saprovore species.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 20:01

I played a ghoul once, and found that waiting for my food to rot, or watching closely till it rotted so I could it it ... was tedious and annoying.

Return to Game Design Discussion