Smoothen Cheibriados' progression

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 23rd May 2014, 20:08

Smoothen Cheibriados' progression

Since Cheibriados already makes you unable to run away at 0* piety for almost no gains, and this is apparently very bad because you are at your squishiest when you join Chei - I propose a simple solution:

We just turn this:
Spoiler: show
godpassive.cc @ line 32:
  Code:
int chei_stat_boost(int piety)
{
    if (!you_worship(GOD_CHEIBRIADOS) || you.penance[GOD_CHEIBRIADOS])
        return 0;
    if (piety < piety_breakpoint(0))  // Since you've already begun to slow down.
        return 1;
    if (piety >= piety_breakpoint(5))
        return 15;
    return (piety - 10) / 10;
}

Into this:
Spoiler: show
  Code:
int chei_stat_boost(int piety)
{
    if (!you_worship(GOD_CHEIBRIADOS) || you.penance[GOD_CHEIBRIADOS])
        return 0;
    if (piety >= piety_breakpoint(5))
        return 15;
    return 5 + (piety / 16); // Since you've already begun to slow down, you get a +5 as a bandaid.
}

(We can even avoid a little funny special case there.)

a little calculator since i can't really graph this

Stat gain is a bit slower (and the bonus a bit more stable), but overall it's a tiny increase later on - and a big one early on (it's 5 higher than the current implementation at 32 piety).
don't forget to take it easy, thank you for your attention
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks: 2
Klown, MiraclePrism

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 03:43

Re: Smoothen Cheibriados' progression

Bend time is available from 0 *. That's still worse than not being with Chei but bend time is good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 04:16

Bend time is of little use against an orc wizard or priest who is still 6 tiles away from you. It is pretty good against an orc warrior though, especially if he doesn't have a polearm.

Overall I like the original suggestion.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 04:58

unable to run away at 0* piety for almost no gains, and this is apparently very bad because

It's funny that you need a "because". Or an "apparently" for that matter. :lol:

But yes, Chei buffs. Excellent, keep 'em coming, etc.

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Klown

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 07:18

Can we do this and set the passive to the highest piety you've had, instead of fluctuating on invos? I mean, suddenly speeding up a bit and losing two points in all my stats because I used slouch is annoying. Especially if it leaves to being encumbered (Yes, I know item weights may be leaving, so that doesn't really matter if they do).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 07:38

bcadren wrote:Can we do this and set the passive to the highest piety you've had, instead of fluctuating on invos? I mean, suddenly speeding up a bit and losing two points in all my stats because I used slouch is annoying. Especially if it leaves to being encumbered (Yes, I know item weights may be leaving, so that doesn't really matter if they do).

How do you even get encumbered with chei? are you carrying 10 CPA's in your backpack :D

oh and the OP's idea is nice.
Last edited by KittenInMyCerealz on Sunday, 25th May 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 13:32

^Can carry 40 CPA's once weightless gets in.
Yet -another- chei nerf.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 15:59

please explain how a character carrying 40 CPAs is better than a character carrying 1 CPA

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 16:02

you can throw them at spellcasting monsters and then laugh when they die to miscasts

or rather, you could've if Crawl was a good game

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 17:01

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:How do you even get encumbered with chei? are you carrying 10 CPA's in your backpack :D
Spriggan of Chei barely has more strength than the average human.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 02:49

Sar wrote:you can throw them at spellcasting monsters and then laugh when they die to miscasts

or rather, you could've if Crawl was a good game

I swear there's a roguelike where this is a useful strat but I can't remember which one

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 03:56

Well the longer story is that joining Chei immediately makes you unable to escape from enemies, which is by far the harshest conduct that is "offset" with minimal increases in stats and an ability you have to invest a bunch in invocations before you can use. And with statistics - while not telling the entire story - looking like this:
  Code:
!lg Bloax god=Cheibriados place=d s=place
<Sequell> 125 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=d): 17x D:4, 13x D:10, 13x D:7, 12x D:5, 12x D:6, 10x D:8, 9x D:$, 8x D:9, 7x D:3, 7x D:11, 6x D:12, 4x D:13, 3x D:2, D:26, D:15, D:14, D:27

and
  Code:
!lg . god=Cheibriados place=D:3 s=killer
<Sequell> 7 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=D:3): 2x Bloax's ghost, Grinder, MarvinPA's ghost, Crazy Yiuf, , a gnoll

!lg Bloax god=Cheibriados place=D:4 s=killer
<Sequell> 17 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=D:4): 3x an ogre, 3x an orc priest, 2x an orc wizard, an orc, Prince Ribbit, Schatten's ghost, a worker ant, a crimson imp, HungrySpirit's ghost, Cyan's ghost, buffalo66's ghost, a bat

!lg . god=Cheibriados place=D:5 s=killer
<Sequell> 12 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=D:5): 3x an orc priest, 2x a centaur, an orc warrior, an orc wizard, an ice beast, a wight, an ogre, an ufetubus, a gnoll sergeant

!lg . god=Cheibriados place=D:6 s=killer
<Sequell> 12 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=D:6): 3x an orc warrior, 2x an orc wizard, 2x a wight, an orc, an iguana, Duvessa, a centaur, a deep elf mage

!lg . god=Cheibriados place=D:7 s=killer
<Sequell> 13 games for Bloax (god=Cheibriados place=D:7): 2x an orc warrior, a merfolk, a manticore, a killer bee, , Sigmund, an orc priest, a jelly, an ice beast, a wolf, a centaur, a hill giant

We can probably draw a little parallel to "not being able to escape fights" and "getting killed by hard-hitting enemies", what with four ogre splats from D:4 to D:5 and me having six orc warrior splats, seven orc priest splats (walking towards them hurts!) and even a hill giant splat out of 37 games from D:5 to D:7.
And funny as it is, D:4-D:7 are the floors where the temple spawns, and also where you are more than likely to meet a couple of ogres or an orc pack with a warrior you won't be able to walk from the moment you join Chei.

The conclusion here being that Chei ~could~ use the biggest upfront bonus of any god for having the harshest penalty upon joining of any god.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Game Design Discussion