Proposal: Replace Magic Dart wand effect with Searing Ray

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:09

Proposal: Replace Magic Dart wand effect with Searing Ray

The new exploit weakness wand makes wand of Magic Darts look so weak and, early in the game, a waste of a turn. Sure, it always hits. Sure, it does physical damage. Can't it be better, though?

Think of searing ray as an alternative. The first hits are comparatively weak to Magic Dart. Why not replace it with the Searing Ray effect so that multiple hits would be encouraged? I cannot think of any time in the five years I've played crawl where I thought multiple hits from a wand of Magic Darts would be a viable offensive option.

Perhaps the wand should just be removed altogether.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
TheDefiniteArticle

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:21

Re: Proposal: Replace Magic Dart wand effect with Searing Ra

I like wands of darts, the never miss part lets you take out Spores at range and never miss those other high EV enemies...(though wands of fireballs are better for that use later). That said, getting a different use as opposed to just 'counter EV, but not do much damage.' would be interesting...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:22

The new exploit weakness wand

What is this?

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:27

I am a little confused now. I have a wand of Magic Darts in my trunk, but Wand of Exploit Weakness apparently replaced magic dart wands in addition to flame & frost. Did it get reverted already?

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=8228
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:28

twelwe wrote:I am a little confused now. I have a wand of Magic Darts in my trunk, but Wand of Exploit Weakness apparently replaced magic dart wands in addition to flame & frost. Did it get reverted already?

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=8228

That's just a patch, you can see here http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=shortlog that it was never actually added.
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 02:33

Don't worry twelve, I think somebody on IRC made the same mistake a while back.

It's kind shows the fallibility of memory to believe an item never added is in the game.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Return to Game Design Discussion