Proposal: Submerge ability for aquatic player species

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 05:35

Proposal: Submerge ability for aquatic player species

Similar to that of swamp worms, fish, etc etc etc. Is there a reason aquatic player-species can't go under the surface of the water like aquatic monsters can? Balance issues perhaps? Or is this just something that's never been considered really?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 05:49

Re: Proposal: Submerge ability for aquatic player species

bcause it would be op,, think about it etc etc etc
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 05:53

Generally the biggest and best reason for not having X is: there is no reason to have X.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 06:00

what if you could have natural flight and fly all the way into the atmosphere and no one could target you.... whydon`t the devs put this in its realistic....
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 06:18

twelwe wrote:what if you could have natural flight and fly all the way into the atmosphere and no one could target you.... whydon`t the devs put this in its realistic....

Could of course have a turn limit on staying submerged or something, it seemed like a fun mechanic if it was possible to implement properly.

In regards to your snark and rudeness, get fucked

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 06:20

AzuredreamsXT wrote:In regards to your snark and rudeness, get fucked

no u

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 06:46

AzuredreamsXT wrote:
twelwe wrote:what if you could have natural flight and fly all the way into the atmosphere and no one could target you.... whydon`t the devs put this in its realistic....

Could of course have a turn limit on staying submerged or something, it seemed like a fun mechanic if it was possible to implement properly.

In regards to your snark and rudeness, get fucked

Even a few turns to stay submerged is a lot when you can e.g. quaff speed, read teleport and heal yourself during these turns. It would be a lot like a repeatable, weaker version of the Tomb card. Íf you remove all of the balance issues by adding exceptions (can't quaff potions or read scrolls, whatever) you end up with a complicated mechanic that you have to learn but is only relevant during a small portion of the game which isn't really elegant design.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 07:14

Swamp worms, fish, etc. are completely incapable of attacking someone who isn't adjacent to their body of water. Submerging exists so they aren't completely helpless against someone using polearms, ranged weapons, or spells. The only exception are electric eels, and as far as I know they actually can't submerge (or if they can they never do it).

Merfolk and Octopodes, on the other hand, are perfectly capable of leaving the water to reach someone, which is why their monster counterparts don't submerge.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 12:27

Viashino_wizard wrote: The only exception are electric eels, and as far as I know they actually can't submerge (or if they can they never do it).

Electric eels do it all the time if you use fire spells that cause steam that momentarily blocks LoS/LoF.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 22:09

cerebovssquire wrote: ...only relevant during a small portion of the game which isn't really elegant design.

Unless you worship Fedhas and spam that rain in every relevant spot :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd March 2014, 22:16

Viashino_wizard wrote:Swamp worms, fish, etc. are completely incapable of attacking someone who isn't adjacent to their body of water. Submerging exists so they aren't completely helpless against someone using polearms, ranged weapons, or spells.
Too bad they totally are

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 01:31

duvessa wrote:
Viashino_wizard wrote:Swamp worms, fish, etc. are completely incapable of attacking someone who isn't adjacent to their body of water. Submerging exists so they aren't completely helpless against someone using polearms, ranged weapons, or spells.
Too bad they totally are

Well that's the function it's supposed to serve. Whether it actually works or not is a different matter.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 01:39

removing all existing submerge mechanics would substantially improve crawl

why in the world would you want to add more of them

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 03:05

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:why in the world would you

why not? (you think the OP would start this thread if he knew his idea was bad?)

To OP: Many players (lately, this includes me) consider submerge mechanics as quite annoying, since they slow the game down.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 03:42

I kind of wish Submerge was treated as invisibility...not as invulnerability. Player having that ability as well as all aquatic/amphibious enemies seems far more reasonable.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Kismet

Return to Game Design Discussion