Apportation Targeting

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 00:44

Apportation Targeting

Currently, apportation autotargets the item closest to your character. This is kinda dumb. Generally, it's much more likely that you want to pull an item that appeared at the edge of LOS to you, rather than something you're adjacent too. If you wanted the adjacent item, you would either walk to it, or have apported it when it first appeared at the edge of LOS several turns ago. Also, you're much more likely to want to apport anything autopickup knows is useful and has marked in green for you.

I would suggest that apportation should autotarget the item farthest from you, possibly prioritizing for items autopickup marks as good.

If you're of the opinion apportation is already too powerful or useful, or in need of a nerf, please note I'm just suggesting anything that actually improves the spell- it just makes it slightly faster to use by changing the default target.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
sigfried von murdock

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 02:10

Re: Apportation Targeting

Personally I like it being consistent with monster targeting and always starting with the closest item, I don't find myself adjusting apportation targets that often. Then again I don't use apportation for absolutely everything, only when I feel it's particularly useful or necessary.

You can currently press / to cycle backwards through item targets (and so target the furthest item from you with just one extra keypress), at least.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
mageykun

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 09:12

What would be nice for the apportation interface is to allow cycling between items with +/-
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 11:29

+1 for targeting autopickup items.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Return to Game Design Discussion