Scroll of aquirment - Staff.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 20:19

Scroll of aquirment - Staff.

The option to select a staff opposed to a weapon needs to be fixed. If I ask for a staff, i do not want a stick, or a rod, or anything with magical properties that counts under "mace and flails" I want a STAFF. If it is going to give rods, or magical maces of flaildom, then it should be changed accordingly.

That is all.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 07:09

Re: Scroll of aquirment - Staff.

I quite often want a rod from it. I wasn't aware that it could give you maces.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 07:25

rodbashing respects the maces skill, but they are of base type OBJ_STAVES

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 10:19

I acquired cursed teleportation ring....and yes, played as warper. Not bug ofcourse, but funny as hell.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 16:56

It is just deceptive to have staves as a skill, and the ability to request a staff, and get a rod, which is actually a mace/flail.

I am not saying get rid of the rods, but using the word "staff" for an item that does not fall into the staves skill does not make much sense. The rods can be quite handy, but the actual name throws things off.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 17:19

I think it only gift rods if your best magic skill is evocation or if you don't have any magic skill.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 17:49

On a semi-related note, I think acquirement should list that selection as staff/rod instead of just staff. If you are trying to get a rod and don't know any better, you're more likely to think you'd have to choose wand or misc. item. I think I only discovered it playing around in wizard mode.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 19:58

sigfried von murdock wrote:It is just deceptive to have staves as a skill, and the ability to request a staff, and get a rod, which is actually a mace/flail.

I am not saying get rid of the rods, but using the word "staff" for an item that does not fall into the staves skill does not make much sense. The rods can be quite handy, but the actual name throws things off.

(my point was that you are being shallow; rods are magical staves (use by wielding and evoking to rod-cast rod-spells), but bashing with them is more macey than staffy so it falls into the maces and flails category for that purpose (they are not maces). crawl could indeed stand to be more clear about the matter, though; using "staff" to mean two things isn't very clear)

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 20:07

galehar wrote:I think it only gift rods if your best magic skill is evocation or if you don't have any magic skill.

I don't think it does, I recently used a scroll hoping for a Staff of Air for my Air Elementalist, despite Air being by far my best Skill (and Evocations one of my worst!) it gave me a Rod (Smite). My second scroll got me the Staff of Air though! :D

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 20:30

MrMisterMonkey wrote:
sigfried von murdock wrote:It is just deceptive to have staves as a skill, and the ability to request a staff, and get a rod, which is actually a mace/flail.

(my point was that you are being shallow; rods are magical staves (use by wielding and evoking to rod-cast rod-spells), but bashing with them is more macey than staffy so it falls into the maces and flails category for that purpose (they are not maces). crawl could indeed stand to be more clear about the matter, though; using "staff" to mean two things isn't very clear)

It's not that you occasionally get a rod that that you bash with as a mace, it is that when you select "staff" you only get rods that have magical abilities and that you bash with like a mace/flail. Rod and staff are synonymous, but if you are going to make all rods Mace/flail and call them a staff, then it butchers stave's as a weapon class.

It is just a bad name for an option. If you ask for a long blade then you shouldn't get a knife. If you ask for a magical staff, you shouldn't get a magical mace.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 21:28

rods aren't about bashing; they're about evoking.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 01:57

MrMisterMonkey wrote:rods aren't about bashing; they're about evoking.

And staves are about amplifying your abilities and beating people up with. Not envoking.

So call it rods.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 03:10

It's like how armour acquirement can give shields
rods are a type of staff that are different from enhancer staves
crawl should just be a little more clear so it's less confusing

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
sigfried von murdock

Return to Game Design Discussion