Magic tab

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 21:38

Magic tab

Suggestion: allow setting one spell to auto-attack.

Discussion:
In melee (or ranged combat) players usually tab low danger no brainer situations. It is not possible to do so with spells (one always needs to confirm the target for each attack).
With this proposal players would be able to set one spell for auto-attack. Then, if tab is pressed, the computer will select the best target and cast the spell.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 21:42

Re: Magic tab

Not exactly what you are asking for, but f chooses the closest viable (hopefully) target. So macroing something like zaf on F1 will make pressing F1 attempt to cast spell a at some target in your LoS.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 21:42

I've thought about this a couple times, but I never felt inclined to suggest it because I generally use tab for their weapon when fighting weak enemies and use their spells against stronger ones. That might just be me though, and having the option present would still be nice.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 21:44

automagic_slot = z
automagic_enable = true
automagic_fight = false
automagic_stop = 50

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
crate

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 21:49

Already exists.
  Code:
automagic_enable = false
        If true, the autofight function will resort to casting an assigned
        spell at a target. Initial spell slot is a.

automagic_slot = a
        Setting this changes the initial spell slot for automagic. Can be
        changed for games in progress in-game by setting a macro to call
        ===am_set_spell.

automagic_fight = false
        Setting this to true causes melee combat when trying to cast a spell
        that you either do not have enough magic points for, or are below
        the set threshold. If false, a message will appear and no further
        action is taken.

automagic_stop = 0
        Similar to autofight_stop, if magic points are below this number
        (percentage of total), casting is prevented. What happens depends
        on automagic_fight setting.

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks: 2
crate, tedric

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 22:07

Ok, every day one learns a new thing.
Thanks for the help!

*Mods, close the topic please

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 01:02

To be fair, it would be nice if better interface support were there for automagic without having to mess around with obscure commands or rc files.

Maybe just a button you can press on the z? screen to set a spell to your automagic spell? So, for example, z,?,tab,a would set your a spell to automagic? I don't know if this would have technical issues, but it seems much more elegant than having to use macros or the rc file for something that many players would likely use and that you might want to change on a character to character basis (and something you may want to change over the course of a character as well).

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 05:40

Marbit wrote:*Mods, close the topic please

If you want a topic closed, pm or report.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 11:41

Quazifuji wrote:To be fair, it would be nice if better interface support were there for automagic without having to mess around with obscure commands or rc files.

Maybe just a button you can press on the z? screen to set a spell to your automagic spell? So, for example, z,?,tab,a would set your a spell to automagic? I don't know if this would have technical issues, but it seems much more elegant than having to use macros or the rc file for something that many players would likely use and that you might want to change on a character to character basis (and something you may want to change over the course of a character as well).
As long as this is not yet closed (cheers, Grimm!), let me chime in:
I don't think that vanilla (=unautomated) interfaced should be changed -- I wouldn't consider this an improvement. The reason is that you have to enable automagic in the options only once. There is no reason to change the auto-spell letter from the options file all the time: much easier to change the letter of your spells with the =s command.

And I think having to enable automagic once is good: it's a rite of passage that lets you go from "newbie Crawler" to "weather-beaten veteran". Seriously: new and long-time players have completely different demands about the interface. I don't see a good way to address both crowds; asking the latter to change some options once seems okay to me. (Cannot ask the former to do that, and I am not willing to disregard new players at all.)

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 12:35

Grimm wrote:
Marbit wrote:*Mods, close the topic please

If you want a topic closed, pm or report.

Lazy Dwarf!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 15:17

I'll just chime in to say that asking for closing threads is pretty useless because there's no point to it - the worst that could happen is that some spammer posts once in this thread, but the best would be that someone confused about this topic would ask for guidance in a semi-relevant thread a long time since it expired - which it does after the issue has been completely solved (since then there's no point discussing anything futher, just like here).

tl;dr don't ask to close your threads please, it doesn't really serve any purpose
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 01:24

If it helps leave it open.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 03:03

It's all in macros and remapping, once you learn how to use that (and that takes just a couple minutes) you can freely change you main autospells and have any number of those within seconds. for example I usually have about 4 auto spells on f1-f5(one of them being a remapped o): one for an escape spell like blink, one for a disabling spell like confuse/meph, one for an attack spell and one more disabling/attacking spell and depending on a background I just remap spell keys or change macros and save them, that takes a couple of seconds, really.

Just use = for remapping and ctrl-d for macro and be happy. When I play a fighter I change my main killbutton to a remapped tab {/9}, by choosing "macro raw" and pressing tab when I choose a key for it.

If someone doesn't know what's a macro and is afraid of learning new things for the fear of it being complicaded, it's really simple - macro is just a combination of keys in one key, so you can just press one key instead of 3, just typing them in the right order into you macros. Like if you would press z,a,f for casting your first spell at the nearest/last attacked monster, you would just press f1 and it would be the same. So you press ctrl-d or ~, then press m or M and then just type whatever sequence like zaf or {/9} or even 'o' or 'p' or any other commands if you don't like the positions of those.

Learning this made my playing experience a lot more relaxing and enjoyable and saved me a lot of time, so I recommend you to do the same. Looking back, only making a habit of using autoexplore didn't do me much good, probably.

I also encourage local tiles players to use hotkeys more. Playing some webtiles quickly made me realise that it's much faster to iteract with your invetory through hotkeys, like (w)ielding, (W)earing, (r)eading, (p)utting on, (R)emoving, (t)aking off, (d)ropping a number of items from a stack, by pressing the number, then choosing the item letter. There might be some more I can't recall. I used to rely on mouse more and to think that webtiles are inferiour in that respect, but that's rarely true, and you just need some practice to simplify and speed up your inventory interactions.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 15:36

Minor correction: it's \{9} not {/9}
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 15:50

Given that macros help so much the game interaction perhaps they could be mentioned in hint mode for the deep elf sorceror. It sounds to me that it should be one of the first tips given to a caster to reduce the tedium of pressing z+a+f hundreds of times.

Code:
Tip: You can use a macro to save some time, for example you could assign "zaf" to F1. This would allow you to automatically cast the first spell of your list using F1 instead of pressing separately  "z"+"a"+"f". To create macro press ctrl+D and select the "Macros" option.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 18th March 2014, 18:32

If only there was an control options menu on the main screen to set all these things with a simple mouse / numpad / arrowkeys interface, instead of having to remember a bunch of commands to enter commands to change commands.

My request: Let us control the selection-box in menus with all the control keys (except for the vi ones obviously since they already refer to stuff), so that i can play webtiles without having to move my hands from numpad to arrows to O to Tab etc etc. :?:

Return to Game Design Discussion