Is draining breath from Draconian player ghosts OP?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 00:07

Is draining breath from Draconian player ghosts OP?

I feel like it seems that draconian breath usage by player ghosts is a bit both overpowered and overused.
Is it scaled by the original draconian's level and is there an appropriate timer between breath usage?
Am I overreacting?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 02:02

Re: Is draining breath from Draconian player ghosts OP?

Bolts of draining are certainly very annoying, but they are not even on the high end of player ghost abilities. Monster Stone Arrow is indistinguishable from monster LCS (except for having more range of course, lol). If you see a Deep Elf ghost on D3, you can safely assume it will spam Fireball/Ice Beasts/Battlesphere at you. If you see a Deep Elf ghost in Lair or anywhere past Lair you should just go away in case it has Fire Storm. Centaur ghosts have absurdly high HP and are impossible to outrun. Spriggan ghosts can easily have 45 EV (I don't think any normal monster comes anywhere close) and at speed 16 are faster than hasted players.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 02:56

There used to be no timer, I think there is now for both player ghosts and enemy draconians. I wouldn't mind seeing that timer get a bit longer on average (or at minimum? it might be randomized), but I'm not certain it needs to.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 03:02

Player ghosts are on my (A)void list in general, but I'd much rather absorb some draining than deal with, say, a red or green draconian's breath before Lair. To say nothing of the executioner's axe or kill spell that it died with.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 07:19

Player ghost EV should definitely be capped at some point within sanity btw, I remember meleeing a 52 EV Te ghost in zot just to see how long it would take and it was completely ridiculous.

Return to Game Design Discussion