Proposal: Sacrificial brand / artifact

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 12:00

Proposal: Sacrificial brand / artifact

The concept is simple enough, an item that improves religious stuff in the weapon slot, different from "faith.

A sacrificial weapon could give the player better piety gain when killing enemies, at the cost of increased piety decay and maybe increased offense if god-forbidden acts are carried out while wielding it.

Another possible effect could be temporarily lowering failure chances for god-given abilities by a small amount for each enemy killed with it, similar to how "song of slaying" accumulates slaying.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 12:29

Re: Proposal: Sacrificial brand / artifact

Obvious objections: Needs something to prevent swapping (both swapping in for kills, and swapping out after kills to avoid increased piety decay). Automatic cursing would be a good bet. Seems not good to have this work for all gods. Much better to give it a name like "of Okawaru" etc., and only address that one god.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 13:02

dpeg wrote:Obvious objections: Needs something to prevent swapping (both swapping in for kills, and swapping out after kills to avoid increased piety decay). Automatic cursing would be a good bet. Seems not good to have this work for all gods. Much better to give it a name like "of Okawaru" etc., and only address that one god.

Why not good to have it work with all gods?

Making it work for one god out of 20+ means it would see next to no use if an artifact, a Sacrificial Weapon of (insert random god) could fare better if you lucked out and found the appropriate one.

About swapping, why not gourmand-like adaptation? Wielding it for enough time increases max ability success boost (I was thinking something like 15%~20% boost tops) and alleviates the piety decay increase (without removing it)
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 16:10

Just make Faith a (rare) randart property. It's much easier and already handles the unwield problem.

(I also think every other amulet property should also be a randart property, particular since some unrandarts already have things like Clarity)
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
bcadren

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 17:45

reaver wrote:(I also think every other amulet property should also be a randart property, particular since some unrandarts already have things like Clarity)

the +2 Gloves "Oven Mitt" {Gourmand, rF++, Dex-3};
the +2 Hat "Iron Chef" {Gourmand, AC+5, SInv};

I was joking about stuff like that in IRCchannel recently...but SERIOUSLY I agree with this. Gourmand, Clarity, rCorr, rMut, Faith, etc. should be available on RandArts of all types (armor and weapons); but...if it only has one pip on the % screen it definitely shouldn't stack...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th March 2014, 19:05

bcadren wrote:
reaver wrote:(I also think every other amulet property should also be a randart property, particular since some unrandarts already have things like Clarity)

the +2 Gloves "Oven Mitt" {Gourmand, rF++, Dex-3};
the +2 Hat "Iron Chef" {Gourmand, AC+5, SInv};

I was joking about stuff like that in IRCchannel recently...but SERIOUSLY I agree with this. Gourmand, Clarity, rCorr, rMut, Faith, etc. should be available on RandArts of all types (armor and weapons); but...if it only has one pip on the % screen it definitely shouldn't stack...

Especially considering that Spirit gets the treatment.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th March 2014, 13:35

I'd love to see all ring/amulet properties become usable in any slot, though I don't necessarily think that all of them should generate, even on randarts. I just want to be able to assign them in vaults . . . :D

Edit: and that's when crate threw his shoe at me.

Return to Game Design Discussion