You fail to memorize the spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 18:09

You fail to memorize the spell

Is there a good reason for letting people fail to memorize without a miscast effect?

I think it'd be more interesting if the two outcomes were (1) failure and a miscast effect or (2) memorization after X turns. For harder to memorize low-level spells, the right outcome might be memorization after many turns. For some (purple) spells, miscast effects are definitely appropriate. But it's no fun to mash memorization. (Mash is hyperholic, but I hope you get the point.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 20:17

Re: You fail to memorize the spell

I agree. Based on turns sounds good.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 21:11

Was trying to put this on the wiki but there's no category for spell memorization. Anyone know how to add a page? (Or have a suggestion as to where to put it? Or suggestion not to wikify it?)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 00:26

To add a page to the wiki, you have to edit the url and a put a page name instead of "start". Then you're brought to a page with a create page button.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 17:09

I have wondered about this for a while, especially with the Alphaindex. Still confused. So you go to the blue bar at the top and bottom of the wiki, and hit 'edit', which brings you to something with this :
  Code:
======brainstorm: Discussion and Feedback about Features ======

This namespace contains broad discussion of changes or additions to the game. The discussions are sorted in namespaces of their own, including [[dcss:brainstorm:interface:start]] ideas and [[dcss:brainstorm:internal:start]] code/implementation discussions. Besides ideas for new features, you can also post feedback on your experiences concerning current features, design and balance. Add new headings ("0.7 Feedback" for example) or even pages as necessary.

{{alphaindex>.#1}}
[[dcss:brainstorm:racial hp|Racial HP]]
(attempting to add a namespace with the visible title of Racial HP).

When you create this, it is out of the alphaindex, all alone at the bottom of the page. Still, it gives you a link, from which you can 'create page' and post something to the wiki. Still you have the ugly duckling link that has no alphaindexed friends. What am I not doing right?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 17:21

Not sure. Try going in a sub-section (eg. magic) before editing the url.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 17:29

Most subsections are also alphaindexed, though . . .

Hmm, Vinterman knows, or whoever it is that posted vinterman's food reform. Should I just leave a little orphan page as it is, and wait for someone to fix it/add it to the alphaidex?

This is kinda OT from the discussion, but knowing how to post stuff to the wiki is a useful thing, if you want people to post stuff to the wiki instead of doing it yourselves.

[Edit:] Just tried editing the red 'start' page, working under the assumption that a new empty 'start' might be created if I saved changes. That doesn't work either.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Return to Game Design Discussion