"Be godless" should be a possible treasure trove requirement

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 02:21

Re: "Be godless" should be a possible treasure trove require

These are interesting ideas!

But, I'm just going to worry about the god one. I'll start working on a patch straightaway :) (I plan to make it so that entering the portal causes you to lose your religion, if any. Atheists get in free, of course. There will be a full set of altars in the vault. This is, of course, pending how hard is is to implement that.)

For this message the author nrook has received thanks: 2
dpeg, rchandra

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 15:17

and into wrote:
duvessa wrote:Guaranteed uniques I know of: 4 hell lords, 4 pan lords, serpent of hell, Geryon, Ignacio, the royal jelly. So to guarantee access to the trove it can't ask for more than 12 uniques. My average winning game kills 32 uniques.
I don't like the idea of "fixing" this problem by making random pan lords into uniques, either.

and into wrote:2.) "The treasure trove will open only once you have proven your bravery: You must enter this shaft. Be warned: It is a longer shaft than you may be accustomed to. The cowardly shall not be rewarded! The trove will be closed to you forever if you venture lower by any means other than the shaft that lies before you."
Not everyone explores the entire level before going downstairs, and even if they do, what if they hit a different shaft? This trove would be incredibly easy to miss unless you are 1) spoiled about it and 2) keep it constantly in mind everywhere troves generate. And even then you could randomly lose it anyway. I don't think this idea is a good idea unless you are going to announce troves and remove other shafts.

Yes, good points, duvessa. But I do think there is potential for various "tests of bravery." Here's (perhaps) a better take on the idea:

Based on your level when you first see the vault, you will be given a test of bravery involving "stepping foot in" some dangerous area, while staying below one character level above where you are now. So if you are at charlvl 15 and X%, before you advance past charlvl 16 and X%, you must set foot at or below some dangerous area. Return in one piece, get access to the trove, you earned it. I like that better than "Donate your vast collection of unused <foo> to get treasure."

But that means you have to avoid getting exp until you've set foot in <X> which means pretty much just running there and back without fighting anything (or trying to, anyway) I'm not sure I'm a big fan of things which mean earning exp is bad.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 16:25

e: how about and_into's original shaft idea, except just make it a timed and announced portal? I guess it would probably make more sense to call it something other than a trove at that point though.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 12th March 2014, 18:21

Siegurt wrote:But that means you have to avoid getting exp until you've set foot in <X> which means pretty much just running there and back without fighting anything (or trying to, anyway) I'm not sure I'm a big fan of things which mean earning exp is bad.

Well, that's why you'd have to be given some leeway. But yes, the idea would be, "go set foot in Tomb 2" or "visit depths" while below a certain, relatively low (for those areas) character level. I guess that could be pretty boring for some good players though and would only feel like an annoying errand or something, but then again treasure troves are a little like that already in some cases.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 15th March 2014, 14:01

Requirements to enter:
-20% Piety (must have a god)

Contents:
4 semi-random alters (Not of current God. If current God is TSO, Ely, or Zin, then the other alters will not be present. If current god is not one of the three holy ones, only 1 alter of the three may be present).
4 treasure troves behind transparent walls with a runed door.
Worshiping at the alter removes the rune on the door.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion