Salamander Hides

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 20:49

Salamander Hides

Feel free to shut me up if this is already planned; but Salamander Hide Armour has been an unrand artifact for a long while and Salamanders are now moving to amphibious, so you can actually kill them on land. So I'm proposing, removing (or renaming) the unrand and making a mundane salamander hide and salamander hide armour base types.

The Unrand:
+3 Leather Armour {rF++, +Berserk}

In other words:
6AC, 4ER, 15 aum, rF++, +Berserk

A mundane of that could simply be

6AC, 4ER, 15 aum.

With one of these:
rF++, rC- [making it a light version of FDA, basically]
rF+ : Fair choice for a mage, especially an Ozo user.
+Berserk : Be a unique ego for a mundane robe (on par with Troll giving Regen); probably only small race, non-Trog melee characters would be interested in this though. (small slot)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 20:54

Re: Salamander Hides

The unrand can also just stay not ruined since it's an interesting item that often sees use when it shows up and the explanation for not making your own when you kill a lava naga can be that it's a very difficult type of hide with which to work.
Also that is not how armour base AC and enchantment works.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 14:28

Re: Salamander Hides

I appreciate the suggestion, but there's been a push toward simplifying (haha) the game. While cool, adding another mundane hide/armour won't significantly improve the game. Instead it'll just encourage players who want Salamander armour to lure them out of their lava ponds before killing them.

Return to Game Design Discussion