New Translocation Spell:Temporary Blink

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 11:53

New Translocation Spell:Temporary Blink

You get to choose a destination in LOS.
You get there in zero aut, and the spell takes no time to cast.
Your equipment (armour, jewelry, inventory) stays where you started. You get to keep whatever you are wielding.
After one action, you are returned to your point of origin with all your original equipment. If a monster stands in your origin space, you get a random blink and no equipment.

Want to cast a buff or summoning spell in heavy armour, but don't have it trained up yet? Use Temporary Blink to get out of the armour.

Need to get out of the way while that OOD is coming in, but you're already in the most defensible position? Use Temporary Blink to get back in a hurry.

Works for stabbing.

Wield an escape item to use it out of melee range of that guy who is going to clobber you.

It isn't as good as two controlled blinks because you don't get to decide how long you will be in the destination, and because you can lose your equipment.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 12:04

Re: New Translocation Spell:Temporary Blink

a spell that teleports you out of you clothes? looks like an anime thing to me.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Yermak

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 18:03

I saw G-Force in 1980, Cowboy Bebop in 2000, and Spirited Away and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind at some point. I don't remember translocation in any of them and don't understand the connection between animated entertainment and roguelikes.

I think attainable controlled teleportation with meaningful drawbacks (I'm thinking this should be a level 4 single school spell) is a good idea, and the game could use more translocations.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 18:13

anime often use teleport, as an excuse to put girls out of their clothes. they take any excuse, really.
but this seems just weird. even more considering that monsters can take all your armor and jewelry and scatter it over the level...
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 23:48

Does this let me unequip cursed gear for free? If I teleport out of a cursed amulet and then my one action is putting on another amulet, what happens? Especially if the second amulet I put on is also cursed (and thus shouldn't fall back off of me when I teleport back.)
What if my one action at the destination is a blink or teleport?
CTele?
What happens if I equip stasis at my destination?
What levels of contamination does this inflict?
What level is the spell? Which schools?

For this message the author Arkhan has received thanks:
jejorda2

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 02:41

Those are good questions, Arkhan!

I'm thinking level 4 pure translocation. The risks (being without equipment) and limitations (single action) are supposed to make up for the ease of casting.

Adding the limitation that the destination can't have a purple cloud of translocational energy in it would prevent abuse by repeated use.

The effects of curses have been watered down so much that I don't see any reason not to allow cheating them with the spell. Spell slots and tloc skill are worth more than any number of remove curse scrolls.
If you equip an item while away, you should keep the equipped item and not the left-behind item.
There probably should be at least a chance of contamination. I'm not going to pick a number.
+Ctele would not effect this spell, since it's always controlled. -Ctele should make the initial blink random.
If you blink or teleport at your destination, you still get blinked back to your origin, so you're being silly.
If you wear stasis at the destination, you don't get blinked back to your origin, so you are separated from your equipment.
If you transmute into a form that can't wear armour, you end up carrying the armour when you blink back to your origin.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 15:50

jejorda2 wrote:You get to choose a destination in LOS.
You get there in zero aut, and the spell takes no time to cast.
After one action, you are returned to your point of origin with all your original equipment. If a monster stands in your origin space, you get a random blink and no equipment.
Need to get out of the way while that OOD is coming in, but you're already in the most defensible position? Use Temporary Blink to get back in a hurry.

Maybe I'm not clear on this, but if this takes you somewhere else with 0 AUT passing, and the returns you as soon as you take an action, you are returned to your origin with no time having actually passed, meaning that this doesn't allow the possibility of having a monster occupy your origin space or allow you to dodge an incoming OOD. It also doesn't leave you vulnerable.

If what you mean if that you take an action in the destination tile, wait until it's your turn again, and then instantaneously get teleported back, then the amount of time you can be gone for is variable, depending on the length of your action.

In the latter case spell would allow for a perfect, no-risk escape from melee monsters of any speed: Blink past them, waste a turn (or shoot them with something), and they walk towards you. You snap back to your position, and suddenly have at least as much space between you and it as it can cover in a single turn. Repeat until you escape or kill it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 18:15

Also if you go back instantly this spell would let you snipe at things that aren't in LoS (without letting them retaliate).

Return to Game Design Discussion