Change dungeon weighting of ?Amnesia

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 21:32

Change dungeon weighting of ?Amnesia

Perhaps this is just RNG god, but I feel like every one of my recent games have had me get an early scroll of amnesia. I know it has been at least 3 games today. The issue with ?amnesia is that it is fairly niche, and entirely useless early game. It is IMO more useless than ?Random because at least that can give you butterflies.

EDIT: My actual point is to make it more likely to spawn later in the dungeon.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 21:52

Re: Change dungeon weighting of ?Amnesia

Having it early does mean you can plan better what you'll memorize and when, not getting it until late means you discourage memorizing spells that you know you'll want to amnesia later when they are superseded, since you don't know if/when you'll get an amnesia scroll. And since it's strategic, rather than tactical, you don't even have to carry it around with you.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 22:05

Having a couple on early floors is really nice for vehumet - I can learn my starting level 5 spell without worrying about losing a cool gift forever.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 11:19

What I've been thinking is that amnesia scrolls might be too common overall. I typically want to forget something like 2 to 5 spells in a game with a spellcaster and there have always been enough scrolls. So it's always "Ctrl-F amnesia" and select the nearest one, never "I need to find amnesia because I want to forget this spell".

Disclaimer: I haven't played a lot of Vehumites in recent versions (with the spell gift system).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 17:21

Sprucery wrote:What I've been thinking is that amnesia scrolls might be too common overall. I typically want to forget something like 2 to 5 spells in a game with a spellcaster and there have always been enough scrolls. So it's always "Ctrl-F amnesia" and select the nearest one, never "I need to find amnesia because I want to forget this spell".

Disclaimer: I haven't played a lot of Vehumites in recent versions (with the spell gift system).

Also, it is probably good to have more amnesia than most people need strictly to win. I think the balance to strike is to make it so memorizing a spell is at least something of a commitment, not something you can swap around as much as you want without thinking (unless Sif, and even then the piety cost is enough to keep you from switching spells around constantly). On the other hand people should feel free enough to experiment with new spells or spell combinations they haven't tried before. I think the current system is pretty good as it stands.

Return to Game Design Discussion