proposal: make butterflies neutral...

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 19th February 2014, 21:18

proposal: make butterflies neutral...

After clearing elves with a Mu, before lair branches, killing 6 master archers and 5 blade masters with butterflies and venom bolt, I've come to a conclusion, that butterflies are too good and abusable to be friendly. I think it would be a reasonable change to make them neutral, so they get in your way as well, since you are smarter to avoid them, but they still can make a good cover(probably). What do you think, guys?

Btw I had no defences(10/12/10) and used tunnels for kiting through butterflies.

For this message the author Amnesiac has received thanks:
wizzzargh

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 07:07

Re: proposal: make butterflies neutral...

I really find it hard to imagine the result.. except perhaps making summoning in corridors terrible.

I had a silly idea in response that I thought about for a bit and realized it might be actually not terrible: all butterflies are summoned with 'inner flame' condition. If nothing else, Xom would certainly approve.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 08:12

like Papillon from Busou Renkin.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 09:07

savageorange wrote:I really find it hard to imagine the result.. except perhaps making summoning in corridors terrible.

I had a silly idea in response that I thought about for a bit and realized it might be actually not terrible: all butterflies are summoned with 'inner flame' condition. If nothing else, Xom would certainly approve.

Djinni approve, nothing below rF++ and without conservation does. What a terrible idea!

Personally I never abused butterflies - probably I should. Maybe an option would be just to reduce their EV? If they are neutral, using them becomes more dangerous than useful if you lock yourself and don't have an option to blink.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 09:19

^ Haha, well I read the topic title and thought "make butterflies mutually assured destruction." So yes :D

Return to Game Design Discussion