Race balancing OR visible tiers

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 21:34

Race balancing OR visible tiers

It is commonly accepted that some races are harder to play than others, just as with backgrounds. (A octopode wanderer is going to have a much harder time than a deep dwarf necromancer)
A problem with this is unlike with backgrounds (where chaos knight and wander are never recommended) there is no real indication that race a may be more difficult than race b.
I propose either
A: working to balance each race so that they all require similar amounts of skill to play properly.
or
B: Just labeling races as easy, medium, or hard, similar to how backgrounds are labeled as mage, adventurer, and so on.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 21:48

Re: Race balancing OR visible tiers

Actually, something like this was very recently implemented. Recommendations have been changed so that they are not always a two way link. For example, picking a Troll first does not recommend Chaos Knight, but picking a Chaos Knight does cause a suggestion of Troll. (This shows species difficulties because a strong species like Hill Orc is recommended for around 10+ classes while a weak one like Mummies is only reccommended for 2 or 3.)
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th February 2014, 21:53

Re: Race balancing OR visible tiers

Huh. Guess that works. Never mind me then.

Return to Game Design Discussion