Proposal: final Trog ability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 15:45

Proposal: final Trog ability

I suggest Trog giving you anti-magic brand at 6 stars, in one row with TSO, Kiku and Lugonu. Nor because I think Trog is underpowered neither because I think he gives too few anti-magic. Just because it would add nice flavour. Anti-magic is already a special brand together with holy, pain and distortion. Yes, Trog's power will be boosted but I think it is negligible boost since he already gives lots of anti-magic. In a theory players would be able to pick Trog for anti-magicizing their weapons and they abandon him in favour of some other god. But in my opinion his wrath is harsh enough to be a good cost for that.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 15:55

Re: Proposal: final Trog ability

Great, I look forward to traveling back to around D:5 for an EW3 on every single Trog game. edit: I see you didn't mention "altar" anywhere in your post, so hopefully you meant it to go through, say, the ability menu (which I really wish all the god final gifts did).

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 16:25

Yermak wrote:I suggest Trog giving you anti-magic brand at 6 stars, in one row with TSO, Kiku and Lugonu. Nor because I think Trog is underpowered neither because I think he gives too few anti-magic. Just because it would add nice flavour. Anti-magic is already a special brand together with holy, pain and distortion. Yes, Trog's power will be boosted but I think it is negligible boost since he already gives lots of anti-magic. In a theory players would be able to pick Trog for anti-magicizing their weapons and they abandon him in favour of some other god. But in my opinion his wrath is harsh enough to be a good cost for that.

I cannot find any flavour in that proposal. Sniff, sniff, where is it? :P
Unlike with Trog, who gifts weapons with his brand all the time, with TSO, Kiku and Lugonu you get only one piece throughout the game. I feel that behind your proposal stays one of following:
a) you want to really worship him only for that brand, then abandon him OR
b) you want to always get antimagic as soon as you get weapon with base type you desire.
In both cases I do not approve - getting holy brand from TSO is already scummy, no need to do the same with Trog; also reducing randomness to zero is against Crawl's idea, I think.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:04

Bart wrote:I feel that behind your proposal stays one of following: ...

There is exactly what I said behind my proposal: desire to line anti-magic up in a row with three other special brands. Also I'd like Xom has the same ability but without piety it's problematic.

Sorry if it sounded rude, but I strongly dislike when people put my words under distrust and search for ulterior motives there.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:33

I'm sorry for my distrust. I simply see no flavour in Trog giving as his final gift a possibility to brand a weapon with antimagic, so I'm looking for something behind that. I also don't see a reason to line anti-magic up in a row with other god's gifts, because they have different mechanics.

If you wanted to line these gods up, the proposal should also come with antimagic not spawning on Trog's normal gifts. I think, though, that the beauty comes from asymmetry (just like with glaciate!) and adjustment in a way you proposed will just make even more gods similar in behavior.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:38

Trog should grant one of "Wrath of Trog", "sword of Jihad", "glaive of the Guard", "Wyrmbane", "salamander hide armour", "hat of the Bear Spirit" (yes, last 2 are armour pieces but they grant rage too) without taking skills into account.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:51

Why not just make his last ability an active aura of antimagic?
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:55

Because he already gives you that in the form of a huge mace of antimagic which you then apply to the puny caster's face.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 17:56

TeshiAlair wrote:Why not just make his last ability an active aura of antimagic?

Trog definitely does not need a buff. He is one of the best balanced gods as of now.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 18:04

Tedronai wrote:
TeshiAlair wrote:Why not just make his last ability an active aura of antimagic?

Trog definitely does not need a buff. He is one of the best balanced gods as of now.

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying if people have a problem with him not having a "reliable" source of antimagic, this is a much smarter way of doing it.

I don't think he should be changed though, unless its to have BiA allies have inner flame because that'd be awesome
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Barkeep

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 18:22

It isn't broke, and doesn't need to be fixed, and doesn't need a buff—everyone seems to be agreed on this. So I don't think there's a good chance for anything to change, when the only gain is flavor.

And whether it is gain in flavor is questionable; to one person this has nice "symmetry," to others (myself included) it makes Trog less special and distinct.

For instance, I don't think it is a big problem or anything, but ideally I'd say that Okawaru's gifting (aside from ammo maybe) should work in some other way or be distinguished from Trog's gifting, and Lugonu should have some different or unique way to give you a distortion weapon. (Kiku's choice between Necronomicon and pain weapon is neat, and sufficient to differentiate it.) Not a huge issue, but I think gods should strive to have their own distinct MOs, even if they parallel each other in various ways. They are competitors, after all. (Except for Ely Zin TSO, who kind of formed a trust I guess to try to corner a better share of the market.)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 18:34

andinto: Good that some people have a plan for that (Oki gifting). :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 19:01

Thank goodness. Oki's gifts just get my hopes up, to dash them repeatedly. Oh, +infinity, +0 great sword of mediocrity eh oka? Another one for the trash heap... Oh, and thanks for the third branded buckler, it goes very well with my claymore...

I think maybe Oki lets Xom pick the gifts....

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 19:47

damiac wrote:Thank goodness. Oki's gifts just get my hopes up, to dash them repeatedly. Oh, +infinity, +0 great sword of mediocrity eh oka? Another one for the trash heap... Oh, and thanks for the third branded buckler, it goes very well with my claymore...

I think maybe Oki lets Xom pick the gifts....

Then you have that one game where his first gift is a Cloak of Preservation followed by Boots of Running (followed by a -2 hat).

Sandman25 wrote:Trog should grant one of "Wrath of Trog", "sword of Jihad", "glaive of the Guard", "Wyrmbane", "salamander hide armour", "hat of the Bear Spirit" (yes, last 2 are armour pieces but they grant rage too) without taking skills into account.

Isn't Trog specifically programmed not to gift Wrath of Trog because the whole idea is that he lost it somewhere and can't find it?

For this message the author Viashino_wizard has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 19:50

Viashino_wizard wrote:Isn't Trog specifically programmed not to gift Wrath of Trog because the whole idea is that he lost it somewhere and can't find it?

You are right, I have just found this comment in source
  Code:
        // Trog does not gift the Wrath of Trog, nor weapons of pain
        // (which work together with Necromantic magic).

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 15:57

You had game where you didn't get anti-magic with Trog? I generally get anti-magic weapon for relevant weapon category of weapon type i'm using. Though i have to admit i don't remember getting demonweapons from him, but that might be just because i'm using axes too often with him.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th March 2014, 22:26

Alright, summing up this thread there were two compelling reasons against the suggestion ("Trog final ability to bestow antimagic on a mundane weapon"): first, Trog doesn't need the power boost; second, that goes against Trog's flavour (since the god gifts weapons a-plenty, with emphasis on antimagic already).

I think the reason for the OP to make the proposal is symmetry: many special weapon egos are dealt out as final, one-off brandings. I understand the reasoning, but as others have pointed out, this could actually be seen as another reason against the change. Quite often, less symmetry among mechanics is more interesting in the game.

I'd like to add one more reason against: it reduces the potential for decisions. Sometimes, you have to make compromises. If you can always take a very good weapon type, enchant it highly, and then slap on the brand, then end games (here I mean: with Trog in Zot) would look more uniform, I am afraid.

Verdict: rejected. (However, don't worry: Keep 'em coming.)

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
dck, Hirsch I

Return to Game Design Discussion