Linesprint Change Suggestion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 00:14

Linesprint Change Suggestion

As it stands, the ascension in linesprint is one of the most tedious, mind numbing things possible. Due to how the sprint is laid out, you need to fight every single monster that spawns between you and the exit, no matter how trivially easy they are. The problem is that, because it is a sprint, the PC is vastly more powerful than more or less anything that can spawn on the ascension, save for perhaps fiends and the stronger panlords. So, my suggestion is to ad-hoc remove the ascension from linesprint by placing an exit on, or at least very near, the orb of zot. Hopefully this would make winning the sprint a much more palatable prospect.
take it easy

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 00:28

Re: Linesprint Change Suggestion

As a FeIE the ascension was by far the best part of the whole sprint.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 01:17

I'm pretty sure the travel back on the orbrun is an intended part of the map and is usually pretty challenging since as you said, fiends and panlords aren't likely to be easy for a lot of characters even in Sprint.

Wizlab Walloper

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 03:12

It's really not challenging, it's just tedious as hell. I just tabbed back with a Gargoyle Monk, and it took me almost a half hour. That's not a sprint; that's a 10k.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 03:15

Aren't the walls shatterable/LRDable?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 03:17

I found the experience torturous on my 2 lineprint wins. Ascending took well over 40 minutes of my time, which is much longer than it takes me to ascend a normal game. I don't want to play that map ever again because of it.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 03:35

If the experience of ascending, i.e., fighting a bunch of pan lords and high level demons, is desirable, surely it would be possible to replace one of the three or so "Zot 5" sections with one filled with monsters analagous to the orb run that doesn't take longer than the rest of the sprint doubled to clear.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 05:44

Arrhythmia wrote:If the experience of ascending, i.e., fighting a bunch of pan lords and high level demons, is desirable, surely it would be possible to replace one of the three or so "Zot 5" sections with one filled with monsters analagous to the orb run that doesn't take longer than the rest of the sprint doubled to clear.

The thing is, you can do your best to avoid fighting in the orb run; there is no reason to take anything down, unless there is no other choice. To have a blocked-off section forcing you to fight defeats the purpose of an orb run simulation.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 06:25

Unrelated linesprint question:
Is there a reason the non-temple gods don't have altars there? I guess Beogh would be fairly useless but Jiyva seems fine and you can start as an AK anyway.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd February 2014, 07:15

XuaXua wrote:The thing is, you can do your best to avoid fighting in the orb run; there is no reason to take anything down, unless there is no other choice. To have a blocked-off section forcing you to fight defeats the purpose of an orb run simulation.

Have you played line sprint? Because that's how the ascension actually already works. Anything that spawns in front of you, save for perhaps crimson imps who enjoy blinking and the occasional monster at the corners, must be killed or you won't be able to progress.
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 3rd February 2014, 01:40

... Didn't I make a reply here suggesting that you have exactly reversed the intended meaning of XuaXua's post, Arrythmia, and are pointing out the exact same thing which he is pointing out?

Oh well, whatever my memory claims, there is a post now.

For this message the author savageorange has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd February 2014, 01:49

Yeah it was flagged and deleted in the interests of peace.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd February 2014, 02:02

savageorange wrote:... Didn't I make a reply here suggesting that you have exactly reversed the intended meaning of XuaXua's post, Arrythmia, and are pointing out the exact same thing which he is pointing out?

Oh well, whatever my memory claims, there is a post now.

Mea culpa.
take it easy

Return to Game Design Discussion