Idea: Add type icons to artefact Jewelry displayed on Tiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:03

Idea: Add type icons to artefact Jewelry displayed on Tiles

This is a tiles interface improvement request / idea.

Currently,
  • if you get a Ring of See Invisible, it displays an eye icon on the tile.
  • if you get a randart Ring of Awesome {SInv, rElec}, it is obviously a ring of base of See Invisible, but no icon displays on the tile.

Not having an icon requires memorization of which image represents the ring in a potentially increasing number of artefact rings.
Additionally, there is no situation where I would use the base Ring of SINV over the Ring of Awesome, and there is never a reason to have 2 rings of SINV in inventory so I would always discard the tile-identified ring and keep the less visually-distinct artefact.

Therefore I suggest the following solution for interface improvement:

Display the base type icon for artefact jewelery, but border the icon with a 1 px yellow square to visually distinguish it as an artefact over a generic version of the item.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 23:11

Re: Idea: Add type icons to artefact Jewelry displayed on Ti

There could be reasons to carry multiple, ie, your SInv rF++ rC- is really good and you are fighting a lich but now that lich summoned an ice fiend and you want that pip of rC+ back so you switch to your regular ring of SInv.

That's not a good reason for it to not have it show the icon of the base type though, I agree with your proposal.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 23:47

Perhaps with a secondary icon (like on summons etc) incase you have two matching items.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 03:04

How do you determine which is the base type? +SInv or rF+? +Tele or +Ice? rPois+ or SustAb? +Wiz or +Str?

You aren't being timed. Just take a minute and choose the ring you want.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 03:14

Speleothing wrote:How do you determine which is the base type? +SInv or rF+? +Tele or +Ice? rPois+ or SustAb? +Wiz or +Str?

I believe it is a property of the randarte when it's made. There shouldn't be any determining necessary.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 03:41

In fact you can see this in-game if you examine a randart ring: it has the description for its base type.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 03:59

duvessa wrote:In fact you can see this in-game if you examine a randart ring: it has the description for its base type.

Correct; the existence of the text makes me suspect that if this is done, the code change won't be as painful as if having to do it from scratch.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 15:32

Should we really be increasing the visible differences between a ring of see invisible with ARTP_FLY and a ring of flight with ARTP_EYESIGHT when mechanically they work exactly the same way?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd January 2014, 00:00

neil wrote:Should we really be increasing the visible differences between a ring of see invisible with ARTP_FLY and a ring of flight with ARTP_EYESIGHT when mechanically they work exactly the same way?

There is no reason for someone to carry both unless there are other add-on bonuses or detractors. It helps to identify "Oh that's the SINV ring with flight and the rf" by looking at a yellow bordered eyeball vs trying to remember that it is the red circle with the halo on it vs the red circle with the yellow gem vs the frosted blue ring with red flecks.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
damiac

Return to Game Design Discussion