Singing sword + song of slaying

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 10:24

Singing sword + song of slaying

I think Singing sword and Song of slaying should combo with each other. Slightly increased scream damage, Screaming starting to happen if song of slaying is itself already causing ton of noise and slightly increased slaying bonus. Also some flavor message saying "Singing sword is happy to sing alongside with it's owner"

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 19:40

Re: Singing sword + song of slaying

"Combos" like this are massive violations of good game design in general and Crawl philosophy in particular. A flavor message would be fine but a mechanical interaction would be awful.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 19:49

reaver wrote:"Combos" like this are massive violations of good game design in general and Crawl philosophy in particular. A flavor message would be fine but a mechanical interaction would be awful.

I don't necessarily think the singing sword needs this effect, but how would it be a "massive violation of good game design"?
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:10

pubby wrote:
reaver wrote:"Combos" like this are massive violations of good game design in general and Crawl philosophy in particular. A flavor message would be fine but a mechanical interaction would be awful.

I don't necessarily think the singing sword needs this effect, but how would it be a "massive violation of good game design"?
"massive violation of good game design" is probably a bit of an overstatement. My biggest complaints are that it is inelegant (uses a complicated and unexpected rule for a minor effect) and spoilery (I guess you could put into the Singing Sword description). It doesn't have an active negative effect on the rest of the game like the infamous badforum gardening suggestion, but it's just useless.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:11

pubby wrote:

In this case I don't know if it would be "massive," but Crawl avoids "combos" like this, and for good reason.

Things interact or do not interact well based on their stated effects, not hidden synergies. Even if the interaction were stated in Singing Sword's description (so as to avoid spoilery-ness), the proposal would basically have a purely thematic relationship being translated into a game play relationship. It was like when (for a brief period of time in Trunk at some point) felids were not allowed to cast Summon Canine Familiar. (Because cats and dogs don't get along—get it?) It may not seem like a big deal, but because development is an ongoing process, any of these little quirks that are implemented would accumulate over time. (And so this is an instance where "slippery slope" is a legitimate, not fallacious, concern.) Reaver is right; I think it is necessary that Crawl design philosophy takes a hard line against this sort of thing.

A flavor message is fine—that keeps things at the level of theme. So in this case having the Singing Sword say stuff along the lines, "I SHALL NOT BE UPSTAGED!" or something when the wielder uses Song of Slaying would be cute, and fine if a developer wants to put it in. But it shouldn't actually affect game play.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 09:07

Maybe just sync voice level of singing sword and song of slaying (so when sound level of slaying would be same as screaming for the sword, screaming sword is activated despite tension level). Would it still be too comboish?

Anyway flavor message would be really nice, though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 14:47

Although I agree with the sentiment of avoiding combos for game design reasons, well thought out combos can be very satisfying (ignite poison + poisonous cloud comes to mind).

Aside- Song of Slaying buffing Tukima's Dance would be awesome.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 16:19

"Accidental" combos when the natural described effects of the spells work together in interesting ways (like Poisonous Cloud + Ignite Poison, Inner Flame + Enslavement, Petrify+LRD etc.) are great. One good property of the Crawl magic system is that there are lots of spells which are not just X damage to creatures in area Y / summon Z / apply W (de)buff to player/monster, but have interesting side effects which can create combos.

"Forced" combos when some things are special-cased to work together are bad, as they are spoilery and probably unneccessary (the Singing sword already has a high (number of lines of code)/(number of games when it matters) ratio in my opinion). Giving a unique message when it is funny/interesting is probably a good idea, but adding gameplay effects isn't elegant.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 21:13

reaver wrote:
pubby wrote:

"massive violation of good game design" is probably a bit of an overstatement. My biggest complaints are that it is inelegant (uses a complicated and unexpected rule for a minor effect) and spoilery (I guess you could put into the Singing Sword description). It doesn't have an active negative effect on the rest of the game like the infamous badforum gardening suggestion, but it's just useless.

...Gardening?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 21:30

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 00:59

If you ask me he's a prophet from the future. In his first post he suggests removing nausea...And poof, nausaea has since been removed. In his first reply to the thread, he says traps and doors is useless, and poof, traps and door skill has been removed! HE IS A WIZARD.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 05:15

I'll always support more flavor in Crawl, but not spoilery mechanical interactions like this.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 19:34

He also proposed removing food. That's probably not too farfetched either.

Oh well, it's not the first time someone was ridiculed in their time, but looked like a genius much later.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 20:37

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 2
and into, duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 20:49

Closing since this is way off topic now (and the topic has been addressed: a flavour message might be fine, but not a gameplay effect).

Return to Game Design Discussion