Toxic feedback

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 14:32

Toxic feedback

Volteccer_Jack wrote:The goal here is to come up with an idea that sounds terribly overpowered, like cleaving, but is in actual practice usually useless, like cleaving.

This is because anything that is actually useful becomes terribly overpowered as soon as monsters get a hold of it. Now since it can't be anything actually helpful but it is still expected to somehow change the tactics of the player, we have to be sensational. It has to be such a wild effect that a casual observer will think it powerful, so that the actual uselessness only becomes apparent with close inspection. This way players can still delude themselves with feelings of badassitude as they cleave away at the mobs of rats until any kind of actual threat walks into view (at which point go back to standard tactics of obsessively refusing to engage more than one target at a time).

Reaching by the way, fails at basically every criteria ever given for weapon effects, and only remains as-is because changing something would mean an admittance of failure, either in the design of reaching or the design of the aforementioned criteria.

Anyway I think merging Short Blades and Long Blades is a pretty obvious solution. Short/Long Blade apts are already very similar for most races, and even in the cases where they aren't, crosstraining MAKES them similar. They already have stabbing as their "special effect" so we wouldn't even need to make more of these pointless threads.

I wonder what's the point of posts like this one. It uses exaggeration and broken logic to imply that the devs are stupid and keep making the game worse with bad design decisions. It doesn't contain any actual analysis or even basic reasoning.
I am not saying that this should be moderated. It doesn't break any forum rule, and we don't want to forbid people from saying bad things about the game. My point is that the only effect it has is to drive devs away. Most of us have gained a thick skin and we usually just ignore it. But it's not the case for everyone, and I believe that this kind of attitude is why DracoOmega left.
So, what's the point? I guess the people posting it does so because it makes them feel good. It's quite obvious that it doesn't make anyone else feel good and that it's useless for the game, so they must be doing it for themselves. Probably, it amuses the other cynics and they can thank each others.
I really don't care what you guys think, I'm just asking that you don't litter this forum with your petty bitterness. Keep it to Yiuf, reddit, SA and ##crawl.
Thanks.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 14:35

Re: Toxic feedback

galehar: This post has no point. Either we ignore it, or we aim to ban this person from the forum. I don't think he has anything useful to say (I have plonked him long ago).

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 14:51

I quoted this post as an example, but I'm also talking about many others. I'm aware that this is probably futile and unlikely to change their destructive attitude. If at least they could take it somewhere else.
I don't think there is ground for moderation, be it banning, deletion or whatever. Sometimes, they go over the limit, but usually, they are just mean and cynical.
Anyway, even if nothing changes, I've stated what I think of those people and their stupid attitude. That makes me feel good and I can go back to ignoring them.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 14:57

galehar: Yes, I can shrug it off it someone like dck tells me that I have "supposedly helped design this game". On the other hand, I can link how battaile (who is kekela on SA) posted an extremely obnoxious comment about Draco. And that's not okay! I talked to Draco and I know that this maliciousness is what drove him away.

Sure, these can people can troll wherever and we're basically helpless against it. But not here! They need their accounts to comment and to play online.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 15:03

MarvinPA suggested a ban from GDD. That sounds like a good idea to me, and I've already set up the group. Volteccer_Jack is likely to have the honour to be the first member of this new group.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
dpeg

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 15:15

From my experience as a feared moderator, I could give an advice to you: harden your decision. Just nuke anything you suspect to be dangerous (for the team or somebody specificaly). Rules are for users. Deciding people can adjust rules as their will. The counterpart of such comportement is it'll be harder for you too (I know how hard it can be for the hitter), and that's why moderators exists. They can nuke for you, and take the backflame for you.

Finaly everything is a matter of trust. Thrust in moderator work, trust in player honesty. If someone seems to be untrusty, he'll have to prove (again (and again)) his reliability, or leave. If someone consider the dev team is untrusty, why should he stay? He can go away and produce his own game with his own vision (after all the source is free) (at least, he'll trust this game and gameteam).

For this message the author Cedor has received thanks:
QuantitativeProofsman

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 15:19

Code:
Galehar used Trog's Hand.
Forum Troll casts Pain.
Galehar easily resists!

Warn & ban hurtful cynicals. <3 Devs are doing great work and keeping up active development of the best roguelike. Can't have them being bashed repeatedly, and making some leave eventually.

Devs, try to be warmer with your rejecting of ideas. Whether they're meant to be or not, some replies come off as rude, locked threads as well. Not fun for someone who has been thinking for days about a great addition/change to the game, writes up a massive post, then gets that in return. It just makes good people leave, while the above mentioned negative nancys stick around.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 15:27

Klown: This is not about rejected or even bad ideas. We produce enough of these on our own. This is about spite and verbal cruelty.

On "it makes good people leave". We had a dev leave because of abuse.

On a positive note: the new god was completely an effect of a player posting a good idea, and a dev taking it up. I talked to mikee and I think I can say confidently that he didn't expect this at all. (There are more forum ideas which turn to code, but that's a pretty glorious example.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 15:35

The post does step into psychoanalysis which is silly, but I think the general point it's making (to pass the weapon effect criteria it needs to be a really weak effect masquerading as a strong one, reaching does not live up to those requirements) is made quite clearly. It seems more flippant than actively offensive.

I don't really see why it would warrant a ban rather than a warning, particularly when it isn't really targeted at an individual.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 16:34

Leafsnail wrote:I don't really see why it would warrant a ban rather than a warning, particularly when it isn't really targeted at an individual.

It's not about this post alone. VJ's posts are systematically contentless, outright insulting or just cynical. We're getting fed up of this and we prefer to ban him rather than to have to judge if each post cross the limit or just step on it.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 16:47

The post you quote does not look "contentless" or "outright insulting" to me, though.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Bloax, cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 17:38

Part of the problem is the perception that an action is *deserving* of losing all respect for a person. The assumption that a person deserves *no* respect, even for their basic humanity, is false, always. Even if they've been the most horrible bastard in the universe, they *deserve* basic human decency, they may not get it, but they still deserve it.

People do horrible stuff, and it's completely legit to call them on it, but just because someone's done something that you perceive as bad or horrible, or even (in some cases) just stupid, pigheaded, shortsighted, or plain old 'not in agreeance with your opinions' doesn't entitle you to abuse them. If you do, you are wrong to do so, every time. (And just as truely, just because you are doing something wrong doesn't mean you invite abuse, it *does* mean action can be taken against you.)

Some people when they feel wronged and like they are 'powerless' take to abuse because they view it as a form of protest. It's not. Abuse is abuse and protest is protest. If you're going to protest, do so with some self-respect and dignity.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 18:08

devs, please dont leave, I love you guys. you make a very good game that is getting constantly better.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 18:21

There is a sticky that explains how to create a topics, so why isn't there one that explains how to write good replies?

A few suggestions for its contents:

- You can't be sure of anything until it gets tested. This means you cannot give accurate criticism until that point. Voice your opinions as concerns instead, e.g. "I'm worried that foo could introduce tedious behavior. Heres why... " rather than "This idea absolutely won't work."

- A negative environment leads to development stagnation. Be sure to encourage ideas you like. Even better, encourage wild ideas you're not sure you like, because with a little development those ideas might turn out great.

- Try to avoid bikeshedding. A common example of this is discussions over the name of things.

Also, would it be possible to remove forum 'thanks'?
Last edited by pubby on Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks: 6
dck, duvessa, Implojin, Sar, Tiktacy, wheals

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 18:51

be nice, you guys.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:20

It's one thing if you don't want people posting things that are combative but explicitly calling out battaile and then deleting the post where he defends himself is pretty low. Draco left before he posted that comment, but you explicitly try and conflate the two and blame him...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:23

That post was a vicious personal attack. I have banned him for seven days for it. The text of it is in the moderators' forum for inspection by other moderators.

Incidentally this is not the first time bataille has been banned.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:26

I've noticed that a surprisingly high number of really toxic comments are made by very new users. The usual trend seems to go "New user posts something ranging from genuine question/complaint to really insane feature proposal." "People post replies that offer good feedback, but often in a very direct/pointed manner." "New user flips shit."

I definitely think more education/advice to new users would be a good idea, some basic stuff like "Read through GDD to see examples of suggestions," "Post in CYC if you aren't sure," and "Don't trust wiki guides."
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:26

Dpeg's post is slanderous and pretty personal as well, I understand why you might do that but it's kind of different when someone else escalates it. I get that he's a dev and can post whatever but it seems silly to respond like that when he didn't throw the first stone and made a single post in response to a false callout.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:28

pubby wrote:There is a sticky that explains how to create a topics, so why isn't there one that explains how to write good replies?

This is a good idea. If someone would like to start a thread in S&C so that people can help draft such a post, that would be great. I will happily post the result as a sticky in GDD.

Also, would it be possible to remove forum 'thanks'?

The board software permits turning off the thanks feature. It also permits making thanks retractable. I like the current style though.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:30

johlstei wrote:Dpeg's post is slanderous and pretty personal as well, I understand why you might do that but it's kind of different when someone else escalates it. I get that he's a dev and can post whatever but it seems silly to respond like that when he didn't throw the first stone and made a single post in response to a false callout.

to clarify, the assertion is that battaile made the post after it was claimed that dracomega left, and to retroactively blame battaile for the departure is what he's objecting to
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:32

That's fine but objections can be made without namecalling. The namecalling was egregious and vicious.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:35

Well personally I'd rather be called names than falsely blamed for driving off a valued developer on the official forums for a game I like, but that's a fine assessment and I'll drop it.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 20:10

This sums up the situation pretty well:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19
Winning races: Ce, DD, DS, Dj, Dr, Fo, Gr, HO, LO, Mf, Mi, Na, Og, Tr
Winning backrounds: AK, Ar, As, Be, Cj, DK, Fi, Gl, Hu, Mo, Pr, Su, Wn

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 20:24

I would like to apologize for anything I may have done that is similar too what was quoted in the op. This is by no means an excuse, but the angry and destructive feedback from other people can often be very frustrating and contagious. I'm sorry if I ever took it out on you galahar, and I don't blame you for getting angry every once in a while.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 22:16

Following Tiktacy, I'd like to apologise for having listed dck. He only really provoked me once, and it wasn't even that bad. I was annoyed and unnerved and thus in a plonky mood... Whatever, we have settled it. (Thanks dck!)

johlstei: I don't feel obliged to apply any consideration to battaille. There is no way I want this person around. When I posted in SA after years of absence, I got a nice, heart-warming insult (about which I don't care, it just reinforced my opinion). That's about as bad as the insults I got over the MD craze, and I can take it. However, I can never tolerate battaille's behaviour towards Draco. It's not low-brow or cavalier, it enrages me today as it did back then, and the Crawl space would be a better place without perfidious players like this one.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 22:30

The devs and mods set the tone for discourse. So to galehar's original post I would say: the best response is to react via moderation, not by pleading. If posts are not acceptable but do not break rules, the rules are not adequate.

I think 99% of issues can be solved by consistent moderation and open communication by mods of what is acceptable, and why moderated posts were moderated. In general I think the mods here do an excellent job.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 22:35

The Crawl community in general seems to have a real penchant for snark, which is too bad, because it's really a fantastic game. Thanks devs for all the hard work.

For this message the author monty has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 22:38

I don't feel like tracking down posts and typing out paragraphs explaining it, but I don't think he behaved negatively towards Draco at all, and was making a different point about what you said in your post. That was the source of his protest in this thread which was deleted. Insults is kind of how communicating on SA works, for better or for worse.

I understand if you don't want to give him a platform for posting, but then don't also talk about him while prohibiting him from responding. Calling him out and removing his rebuttal shows some bad faith in my eyes. (I realize it probably wasn't you who made the call.)

This discussion topic has gone on for more posts than I'd have liked, it's not really as important to me as I'm implying and I am content with saying my piece, moderate this place as you see fit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 22:41

It was I who deleted it and banned him, not dpeg.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 00:55

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Okay, here we go.

galehar wrote:I wonder what's the point of posts like this one. It uses exaggeration and broken logic to imply that the devs are stupid and keep making the game worse with bad design decisions. It doesn't contain any actual analysis or even basic reasoning.
I am not saying that this should be moderated. It doesn't break any forum rule, and we don't want to forbid people from saying bad things about the game. My point is that the only effect it has is to drive devs away. Most of us have gained a thick skin and we usually just ignore it. But it's not the case for everyone, and I believe that this kind of attitude is why DracoOmega left.
So, what's the point? I guess the people posting it does so because it makes them feel good. It's quite obvious that it doesn't make anyone else feel good and that it's useless for the game, so they must be doing it for themselves. Probably, it amuses the other cynics and they can thank each others.
I really don't care what you guys think, I'm just asking that you don't litter this forum with your petty bitterness. Keep it to Yiuf, reddit, SA and ##crawl.
Thanks.

And what I wonder is why overt insults are heavily moderated, while posts like this one, containing nothing but bile and hate, get a free pass just because they use back-handed insults and hurtful implications rather than direct statements. You make an entire thread for no reason other than to spew bile about me and accuse me of driving people away, which is of course bullshit because unlike you and dpeg, DracoOmega was overall an awesome dude. And you even include the bonus implication that any place of discussion you don't frequent is equivalent to the literal joke section of YOUR place of discussion. Your arrogance, at least, is worthy of such lofty placement. Meanwhile my post, as I will now endeavor to make clear, had plenty of real, useful content and was firmly grounded in analysis and extensive consideration.

Volteccer_Jack wrote:The goal here is to come up with an idea that sounds terribly overpowered, like cleaving, but is in actual practice usually useless, like cleaving.

This is because anything that is actually useful becomes terribly overpowered as soon as monsters get a hold of it.

Note that these first two sentences contain no personal opinions on my part. They are simply description of the current situation. If you think I am being cynical or that I don't like cleaving, you are projecting your own bias onto my words. When I played Crawl, I liked cleaving quite a bit, even if my preference was usually to not use it. The only change I would make would be to revert the unnecessary and in any case overly harsh Damage nerf Axes received, which was the real reason I largely stopped using Axes.

It is certainly unfortunate that cleaving is useless most of the time (except for the purpose earning a better turncount/score, but scoring mechanics in an intentionally random game don't interest me), but it is something we have to accept as long as monsters are allowed to have the same abilities. Anything strong enough to be properly useful will be overpowered in monster hands. There's no way around this fact. Monsters just have too many advantages and shortcuts and cheats and come in too many varieties. Anything really properly good will find a way to be dumb and overpowered when given to monsters (reaching has several good examples already). And I'm not saying monsters shouldn't get those abilities either - it absolutely benefits the game in some respects - but it comes with the cost that weapon abilities must be very weak.

Likewise, I believe it is a very good thing for abilities to look and sound overpowered. Being flashy and cool has little cost or downside, and makes these abilities much more attractive to players who might otherwise not spend much time with them, TSO's bitchin' halo being a prime example. Nothing cynical happening here, quite the opposite. It's one the things Crawl generally does well, to the point that if you don't like it, I would wager you don't like Crawl very much.

This way players can still delude themselves with feelings of badassitude as they cleave away at the mobs of rats until any kind of actual threat walks into view (at which point go back to standard tactics of obsessively refusing to engage more than one target at a time).

I imagine this maybe hurt somebody's little feelings but "delude" is the correct word to use in that sentence to get the idea across. And "obsessively refusing to engage more than one target" is one the fundamental rules you must follow in order to reliably succeed at crawl. Harsh truths, I suppose.

Reaching by the way, fails at basically every criteria ever given for weapon effects, and only remains as-is because changing something would mean an admittance of failure, either in the design of reaching or the design of the aforementioned criteria.

This remark was admittedly snappy, but only because it was a direct response to dpeg and galehar, who were, as usual, being extremely defensive and answering the concerns within the thread with politicking non-answers like "We adapted autofight to make it work, so it's acceptable" (why can't you do whatever that vague answer is supposed to mean for other abilities?). It's one thing to gloss over or simplify a complicated situation, but answers like that - vague noncommittal phrases that nevertheless assume a tone of finality - are clearly not designed to encourage or enliven discussion. Toxic feedback goes both ways.

Reaching, like summoning and pacification, is an absolute failure. All three are obviously overpowered to anyone with an understanding of crawl mechanics, and all are "balanced" only by the fact that, when used heavily over the course the game, they are incredibly annoying and unfun. That's a simple objective description of the situation. Not trying to be hurtful to anybody, but that's the situation and if the devs continue to ignore it, then it will continue to be an awful situation.

Here's me being hurtful:
Spoiler: show
If you want me to call the devs stupid, I'll point out that recent "nerfs" to summoning and pacification have had virtually no effect whatsoever on the fundamental problems with summoning and pacification (so that they remain very nearly as overpowered as ever) and by far the most noticeable effect of these "nerfs" is to make summoning and pacification EVEN MORE annoying and unfun. And since these changes have not been reverted, I will then draw the rather unkind conclusion that either A) it is the intention of the devs to balance overpowered mechanics by making them tedious and annoying and generally awful to use, or B) the devs value balance much more highly than fun and basic playability.

galehar wrote:VJ's posts are systematically contentless, outright insulting or just cynical.

My posts are some of the most consistently content-full in this forum. Compare to clowns like yourself and Xuaxua who are happy to fill thread after thread with meaningless unhelpful crap. And for the record, describing a flawed situation as flawed is not cynical, it is honest. I don't know how you can expect to improve the game if you refuse to take its problems seriously.

dpeg wrote:On "it makes good people leave". We had a dev leave because of abuse.

How come only the good devs leave because of abuse?

MarvinPA suggested a ban from GDD. That sounds like a good idea to me, and I've already set up the group. Volteccer_Jack is likely to have the honour to be the first member of this new group.

As long as folks like dpeg are exempt from the group, it will not substantively improve the quality of discussion. Meanwhile I don't even play Crawl at the moment, and won't play it again as long as mimics are allowed to waste the player's time, so I have literally no reason to even post here other than the intellectual pursuit of making a hypothetical roguelike that is better than another hypothetical roguelike. The idea that banning me would be an improvement is therefore amusing to me, but apparently you are pretty worked up so maybe it will prevent a nervous breakdown or something.

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 01:05

Volteccer_Jack wrote: so I have literally no reason to even post here

Please.
take it easy

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 01:27

No no, he's just working hard for that ban. I admire his persistence and dedication to his craft.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 01:43

I wish we could just settle things with gladiator fights and boxing. Joking aside, this is getting depressing. Why should the best game in existence be marred by so much negativity? Maybe in addition to finding faults, we should also periodically share what we really like about the game. For me right now, it is the pantheon, that gives more grist to the imagination than reams of boring exposition found in most RPGs. Then there is the tight mechanics, where it feels like everything is integrated into an interdependent system, rather than heaped into a dirty laundry pile (which is how I feel about ToME4, though that game is fun in spite of that).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 04:44

And here I thought this thread was about poison spell miscasts.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
Klown, pratamawirya

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 07:31

Volteccer_Jack wrote:You make an entire thread for no reason other than to spew bile about me and accuse me of driving people away, which is of course bullshit

This thread wasn't about you to begin with, I just used your post as an example. But you are so full of yourself, you had to take it personally.
Thanks for otherwise proving my point and welcome to the GDD banned group.

There seems to be a lot of issues between devs, players and moderators, so I'll leave this thread open for now in case someone has something insightful to say on the subject. However, I'd rather discuss game design than all this crap, so it is likely to get locked.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Klown, QuantitativeProofsman

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 10:43

I disagree with that ban.

While VJ obviously doesn't like you and dpeg at all and keeps showing that, his posts actually are, as he said, consistently contentful. Sure he's full of himself, and this and his dislike of you often prevents useful dialogue. I completely understand that you don't want to read his posts, but this forum does have an ignore feature, and I think using it would be a better solution than banning him from GDD.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 8
Abominae, BlackSheep, cerebovssquire, DracheReborn, Hayden2e, Leafsnail, Sar, TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 11:02

Agree with Galefury, his contributions can be volatile, but he has decent ideas.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 11:20

galefury: Would you say the same if you were on the receiving end? Also, there is an actual problem with allowing such posts: it sets a role model for other posters who may come to think that it's perfectly alright to behave like this. And while Volteccer_Jack had something to say about Crawl, I believe that all his points can be raised by other, more likeable players as well.

tl;dr: content trumps form, but form can be so bad as to ignore content completely.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
Brannock, Klown

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 11:31

Galefury wrote:I disagree with that ban.

Well, you can disagree, but it turns out that moderation is done by moderators, not by user vote.

While VJ obviously doesn't like you and dpeg at all and keeps showing that, his posts actually are, as he said, consistently contentful.

Huh, well I doubt that, but maybe his aggressive tone as prevented me to see his great ideas.

Sure he's full of himself, and this and his dislike of you often prevents useful dialogue. I completely understand that you don't want to read his posts, but this forum does have an ignore feature, and I think using it would be a better solution than banning him from GDD.

I disagree. The whole point of this thread is about how this aggressive and demeaning behaviour is harmful for the forum and for the game. And it is contagious. People post harshly, and all they got is thanks from the cynic team. New users see that and they understand that to earn respect around here, the best way is to behave like snarky cynics who are obviously much smarter than the devs. I'm fed up with tolerating people who behave like assholes and think that we owe them our attention because they are geniuses.

if you want people to consider your ideas, treat them (and their work) with respect.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 5
Igxfl, Klown, QuantitativeProofsman, Tiktacy, ZoFy

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 11:44

galehar wrote:Well, you can disagree, but it turns out that moderation is done by moderators, not by user vote.

Of course, but users can and should give moderators feedback.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 14:39

galehar wrote:

Well, you can disagree, but it turns out that moderation is done by moderators, not by user vote.

While VJ obviously doesn't like you and dpeg at all and keeps showing that, his posts actually are, as he said, consistently contentful.

Huh, well I doubt that, but maybe his aggressive tone as prevented me to see his great ideas.

Sure he's full of himself, and this and his dislike of you often prevents useful dialogue. I completely understand that you don't want to read his posts, but this forum does have an ignore feature, and I think using it would be a better solution than banning him from GDD.

I disagree. The whole point of this thread is about how this aggressive and demeaning behaviour is harmful for the forum and for the game. And it is contagious. People post harshly, and all they got is thanks from the cynic team. New users see that and they understand that to earn respect around here, the best way is to behave like snarky cynics who are obviously much smarter than the devs. I'm fed up with tolerating people who behave like assholes and think that we owe them our attention because they are geniuses.

if you want people to consider your ideas, treat them (and their work) with respect.

This was beautifully put, i am also quite sick of putting up with it.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 14:54

Maybe having some sort of no tolerance policy would help? I mean, GDD should be that last place cynical attitudes should be aloud, their is never a good reason to be cynical, but in GDD it is probably the most harmful.

Having a thread dedicated to telling people how to reply would probably very useful as well.

One big problem I see is that people get away with things "just because they are them" while other people get shat on for doing the exact same thing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 15:56

One thing I'd like to mention as a non-native speaker, that while I do think that overall my English is sufficient, I'm still often surprised myself how bad I'm to judge the effect of my own tone when I talk to a native speaker.

I also think that you Galehar are not very aware that sometimes your comments seem to have an "aggressive tone" for others as well. It may only be a reaction to others, but debating who started it does not seem to be useful for me, I think ignoring the tone and focusing on the content is a better approach. For example calling a comment personal because it attacks an idea you share is sounds a little bit personal to me.

That all said I have one much more important thing to say to Volteccer_Jack and others like him: while getting so overheated over a debate on a game to use a tone to hurt other's feelings and claim our superiority is a little bit children-like, it's much much much more acceptable from someone that actually spent many hours from his/her life to improve the game than from someone who just plays it.

I may not express myself clearly, but I'm on the developers' side: I think Galehar and dpeg do not have good arguments in this meta-debate, but they deserve much more respect, because the game depends on them, and we are merely players. Like from a good artist whose art I respect I'm willing to accept remarks or even behavior I feel unjust, or like I'm more ready to accept insults from someone whose devotion towards me I know.
I know that nobody can be a real master of his/her field if (s)he does not loose his/her temper over debates on that field sometimes. Stronger tone is more acceptable from a developer than from others.

And if the personal attacks between Volteccer_Jack and Galehar reaches a point where one of them leaves the forum, it really should be Volteccer_Jack. While I do think that his comments does have content, I also do think that that content can be produced by many other forum visitors just as well - nothing is lost if he leaves. On the other hand if a developer leaves, that really hurts.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
moocowmoocow, WalkerBoh

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:07

sanka wrote:One thing I'd like to mention as a non-native speaker, that while I do think that overall my English is sufficient, I'm still often surprised myself how bad I'm to judge the effect of my own tone when I talk to a native speaker.

I also think that you Galehar are not very aware that sometimes your comments seem to have an "aggressive tone" for others as well. It may only be a reaction to others, but debating who started it does not seem to be useful for me, I think ignoring the tone and focusing on the content is a better approach. For example calling a comment personal because it attacks an idea you share is sounds a little bit personal to me.

That all said I have one much more important thing to say to Volteccer_Jack and others like him: while getting so overheated over a debate on a game to use a tone to hurt other's feelings and claim our superiority is a little bit children-like, it's much much much more acceptable from someone that actually spent many hours from his/her life to improve the game than from someone who just plays it.

I may not express myself clearly, but I'm on the developers' side: I think Galehar and dpeg do not have good arguments in this meta-debate, but they deserve much more respect, because the game depends on them, and we are merely players. Like from a good artist whose art I respect I'm willing to accept remarks or even behavior I feel unjust, I know that nobody can be a real master of his/her field if (s)he does not loose his/her temper over debates on that field sometimes. Stronger tone is more acceptable from a developer than from others.

-applause- Well said my friend, well said. :D

I agree that gala doesn't always handle things in the best way, but he deserves a little more freedom to do so.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:10

Volteccer_Jack wrote:As long as folks like dpeg are exempt from the group, it will not substantively improve the quality of discussion.

To put things in game design terms: developers are a much more limited and valuable resource than players. If three players are alienated in this forum and stop posting or even playing, that sucks but honestly I'm not gonna notice. If three devs stop posting here, that's effectively the end of this forum because like three devs post here regularly. And if three devs were to stop working on the game, that would actually impact things.

This:

How come only the good devs leave because of abuse?

makes me feel like you think abuse is OK if it drives bad developers away. If that interpretation is correct, you simply can't be here.

And finally: the line between honest feedback and toxic feedback will sometimes seem blurry. Remember that not everyone here is from the same country as you, and that English may not be their first language. Remember that in a forum, you lack the nuance of face-to-face conversation. If you're wondering "do I sound like a jackass?" maybe read your post aloud to someone else and see what they think. Err on the side of not being a jackass.

One rule that I think is useful: if you're negatively describing a person rather than an idea, you're on the "toxic" side of the line. So you can't say:

Compare to clowns like yourself and Xuaxua

and expect people to be cool with it.

So pretty much, what sanka said :)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:11

sanka wrote:I also think that you Galehar are not very aware that sometimes your comments seem to have an "aggressive tone" for others as well.

I plead guilty. I know that sometimes I'm harsh when turning down ideas, but I really try to not be insulting or demeaning.
Often, I'm concise and don't take the time to give reasons. I used to explain what makes an idea bad, but this is very time consuming and nobody can be expected to do it systematically. Especially when the idea has been suggested many times before. So I can either ignore it and let a boring discussion happen which will lead nowhere, or turn it down without giving reasons. Not sure which is less bad.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:31

galehar wrote:

Then what's the point of this thread? If you're not looking for user feedback then the only possible effect of it would be to provoke VJ with what is effectively a call-out.

e: at the very least it should be in S&C, and probably shouldn't single out a particular user for criticism. I can see that VJ's post here is banworthy, but I don't think he would've made it if he wasn't antagonized by this thread.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:09

galehar wrote:This thread wasn't about you to begin with, I just used your post as an example. But you are so full of yourself, you had to take it personally.
Thanks for otherwise proving my point and welcome to the GDD banned group.

This thread begins with his name. It's at the top of the very first post. You later went on to say his posts are all contentless, insulting or cynical, a point with which more than one poster whose words I've come to value has disagreed. Then you call him conceited when he rightly takes your personal comments personally.

You don't get a free pass on this sort of thing because you're orange. Your words, dpeg's and all the other devs', mods' and counsellors' have just as much negative impact on the nature of discussion here as any cantankerous poster if you don't moderate yourselves. It's very hypocritical to demand behavior from others if you're unwilling to adopt it yourself first.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 11
cerebovssquire, dck, duvessa, Hayden2e, Implojin, Leafsnail, Mankeli, Sar, Tiber, twelwe and one more user

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:24

Conflict can be valuable. Conflict is part of human behavior. However, conflict is useless without the counterpart: conflict resolution - one of the healthiest of human behaviors. Blacksheep just wrote the most valuable post in this thread and he is right - I would add though that conflict resolution is impossible when the different standards blacksheep outlined are held against posters with special colors in their names.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt
Next

Return to Game Design Discussion