Feature Request: Visual Component for Vulnerability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 22:54

Feature Request: Visual Component for Vulnerability

It's a little difficult, from messages alone, to grasp the range of vulnerability. Would it be too cumbersome for the scroll to have some kind of visual component that illustrates how monsters are being effected?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 30th March 2014, 23:17

Re: Feature Request: Visual Component for Vulnerability

Its range is full LoS, I wouldn't be against some indication that something has halved MR (this is also important sometimes when worshiping yred), but the scroll's desc could also simply say it affects everything in your LoS, instead of saying it affects enemies "in your vecinity" or that "are nearby".

Barkeep

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 09:53

Re: Feature Request: Visual Component for Vulnerability

Makes sense, dck.
the current scroll description wrote:This scroll cancels all magical enchantments from the reader and from beings in the vicinity. It also briefly halves the resistance to hostile enchantments of the reader and nearby beings…
If instead, it read
a revised description wrote:This scroll cancels all current magic enchantments and halves the resistance to further hostile enchantments for the reader and all beings within sight…
It might be a little more sensible, maybe?

I still think a brief flash, like whatever animation that "hits" enemies when you use a hex, might be nice, or a little "MR-" icon of some sort for affected enemies. The current message that occurs when you read the scroll, "Magic dampens, then quickly surges around you," is also somewhat confusing, but I don't know if I have a better one; maybe "Torrents of magical energy leave your body and swirl about menacingly."

Return to Game Design Discussion