Remove unusable skills from wanderers

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 03:36

Remove unusable skills from wanderers

Hi, in my latest wanderer, my starting known spell is apportation and my starting items are a club and a book of minor magic. And yet, my highest skill is transmutation equal with spellcasting.

I understand and appreciate that wanderers are a fun/challenge start (and I play a lot of them), but if it's not too much work, would it be possible to have them avoid having starting skills that cannot be used?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 04:30

Re: Remove unusable skills from wanderers

Baldu3 wrote:Hi, in my latest wanderer, my starting known spell is apportation and my starting items are a club and a book of minor magic. And yet, my highest skill is transmutation equal with spellcasting.

I understand and appreciate that wanderers are a fun/challenge start (and I play a lot of them), but if it's not too much work, would it be possible to have them avoid having starting skills that cannot be used?

Why? Some of the other builds start with skill in spell schools they can't use. Granted, they're guaranteed to have spells in their starting books that use them, but then, if you wanted guarantees you wouldn't be playing a Wanderer.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 05:31

not to mention all the backgrounds that start with stealth

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 07:25

I understand your points, it's not a big request or too important, but it would be nice, thats all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 18:09

It would be nice if spellcasting wanderers (the ones who start with a book or at least a spell) had at least some XP in the skill(s) for that starting spell or book. I find it odd when I start with apportation, a book of ice, and 4 points in earth magic.

But it is wanderers we're talking about here. And those aren't unusable skills, just not immediately useful.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 19:06

Starting with translocation skill but no means of using it is like starting with axes skill but no axe, in fact it's worse since you're more likely to find an axe than a book.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 19:11

damiac wrote: But it is wanderers we're talking about here.

This. Just let them be as they are, please.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 20:09

1010011010 wrote:Starting with translocation skill but no means of using it is like starting with axes skill but no axe, in fact it's worse since you're more likely to find an axe than a book.

Wanderers can't do this? I was fairly sure this had happened to me at a Wn start.

Return to Game Design Discussion