MuBe can't go berserk

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 23:33

MuBe can't go berserk

I played a MuBe for fun, which it was. I was a bit disappointed, though, that I could not go berserk even when the deity description screen clearly stated "You can go berserk at will". IMHO for mummies, the first ability of Trog should just be removed from the ability screen. Any comments before I report this on Mantis? (Please don't disallow MuBes altogether.) The other solution is of course to allow Trog-berserking for Mummies, but I guess that's not the right solution.

(Got the MuBe to XL:8, then got splatted on D:6 by a bunch of ugly things (WTF? I sure wasn't camping there...))
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 00:03

Re: MuBe can't go berserk

undead in general cant berserk, as you cant bring a blood rage up your lifeless body. you can go berserk, it just will take no time, have no cost and no effect at all. but your mummy will be very angry.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 00:30

Sprucery wrote:IMHO for mummies, the first ability of Trog should just be removed from the ability screen. Any comments before I report this on Mantis? (Please don't disallow MuBes altogether.)

Go for it. Okawaru won't display Finesse as an option for Formicids, for instance -- there's no reason why something similar couldn't be done for undead who can't berserk.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 05:47

Done.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, Sprucery

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 06:08

ah, a rare successful thread in this forum

edit: this was in yiuf when i made this post
Last edited by twelwe on Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 06:38

twelwe wrote:ah, a rare successful thread in this forum

If a suggestion is both simple and coherent, I usually go ahead and implement it.
See: basically any thread where I've replied 'Done'.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 2
and into, Mankeli

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 14th January 2014, 17:19

Sorry if I should make a new thread for this simple suggestion, but it is along the same lines. Could you make swiftness grayed out in books when playing a spriggan? (No need to disallow learning it, just the ui is all I care about). I keep (dumbly) learning it when I get it in a book instinctually. Yes I realize they could wear that ponderous hat or cast statue form and get use out of it but I don't think anyone would mind the ui weirdness in those edge cases.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
Neon

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th January 2014, 20:28

johlstei wrote:Sorry if I should make a new thread for this simple suggestion, but it is along the same lines. Could you make swiftness grayed out in books when playing a spriggan?
It already is grayed out, unless you're doing something silly like walking around Burdened.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 14th January 2014, 20:48

reaver wrote:
johlstei wrote:Sorry if I should make a new thread for this simple suggestion, but it is along the same lines. Could you make swiftness grayed out in books when playing a spriggan?
It already is grayed out, unless you're doing something silly like walking around Burdened.

It is grayed out in my spell list but not in the book where I go to learn it. Maybe I should just use M more, it is probably grayed out there. I might have something weird in my rcfile if it already is grayed out in the book.

vvv Welp, time to start using that more then. I use M with vehumet but for whatever reason have been using r to learn spells.
Last edited by johlstei on Tuesday, 14th January 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th January 2014, 21:51

There isn't any colouring done to spells when reading books, only on the (M)emorise screen.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 15th January 2014, 12:20

A case where this has bothered me is with books containing spells hated by your god. The book is red, but you cant easily see which spell is responsible. It is also not really clear that not the whole book is problematic but just a single spell. The information that the book contains a spell that your god hates is not very useful, the information that your god hates a certain spell you might be about to memorize from the r screen is.

Return to Game Design Discussion