Interface tweak: more purple items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 16:20

Interface tweak: more purple items

Maybe this doesn't jiyve well with some people, but seeing how most "potentially dangerous" consumables are labeled in purple (magenta, pink, whatever it is... no, pink is for nemelex) such as potions of mutation, scrolls of immolation and noise, the Tome of Destruction, etc.

We could define this set of items as "items that can and do backfire". Following such definition, I think there are some items that warrant this treatment but so far haven't got it, here's the list off the top of my head:

Wands of random effects: you might blow a monster up, or you might make it invisible or hasted. That's purple item territory for me.
Weapons of Chaos: Same reasoning as above.
Weapons of Distortion: Unwielding them is nasty. Labeling them in purple would help hinting at their dangerous nature for newcomers, maybe making them less spoilery.
Vampiric weapons: Similar reasoning as above, but the negative effects aren't as nasty, so these need it less.
Decks of Wonders: Awesome potential for good and bad AFAIK.
Spellbooks that can backlash.
Scrolls of Torment: for characters without torment immunity
Scrolls of Holy Word: for undead characters (and demonspawn?)
Scrolls of Vulnerability: although the contamination removal might warrant cyan labeling, it does destroy your MR.

Of course a lot of these items offend some gods, red labeling for sinful items should override this. If any of these items already has purple labeling, well, forgive me for not remembering!

Edit: haha, hundredth post! :mrgreen:
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 17:31

Re: Interface tweak: more purple items

Torment and Holy Word are purple, for characters who can be harmed for them (sucks for ds, they're harmed by both).
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "spellbooks that can backlash"?
Vampiric weapons are way too good to confuse new players by making them purple, given the only danger is a very small hunger cost.

I like the idea of making vuln and random effects purple though, after all, the former basically replicates a monster spell and is useful only in a few situations (more for some builds, but fewer for others) but dangerous a good deal of the time.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 19:05

wheals wrote:I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "spellbooks that can backlash"?

I think he's referring to stuff that was removed like 3 versions ago.
kekekela is my in-game name

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 19:11

Psiweapon wrote:Wands of random effects: you might blow a monster up, or you might make it invisible or hasted. That's purple item territory for me.
...So, should polymorph wands also be purple? How about unidentified wands?
Psiweapon wrote:Weapons of Chaos: Same reasoning as above.
Weapons of Distortion: Unwielding them is nasty. Labeling them in purple would help hinting at their dangerous nature for newcomers, maybe making them less spoilery.
Vampiric weapons: Similar reasoning as above, but the negative effects aren't as nasty, so these need it less.
All that the purple item colour tells you is "someone thought this item does something bad in some situations, maybe." It is mainly used to make consumables visually distinct from each other so that they can be parsed easier, similar to how scrolls of blinking and such are coloured yellow. It has no significant effect on clarity, and colouring vampiric weapons purple sounds like it would be actively bad to me considering how tiny the "negative" effect is.
Psiweapon wrote:Decks of Wonders: Awesome potential for good and bad AFAIK.
Just like every other deck in the game. Giving decks their own colour(s) might be good (it's weird that tomes of destruction are purple) but just recolouring one would be really weird.
Psiweapon wrote:Spellbooks that can backlash.
These don't even exist anymore, and back when they did, they were already purple.
Psiweapon wrote:Scrolls of Torment: for characters without torment immunity
Scrolls of Holy Word: for undead characters (and demonspawn?)
Already the case.
Psiweapon wrote:Scrolls of Vulnerability: although the contamination removal might warrant cyan labeling, it does destroy your MR.
This one sounds sort of reasonable I guess.

Most of this sounds like stuff that you should put in your rcfile, not something devs should put in the game.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 19:35

Doesn't distortion weapons and vampiric weapons already prompt you with "are you sure you want to wield this?"

So far, I don't think any weapon or wand goes purple, I think that is the domain only for scrolls and potions.

As far as wands and books and weapons go, they already turn red if using them will incur piety loss with your present god, so I feel that's good enough, imho.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 19:43

Vamp weapons do prompt you and I've seen people not using them because of that, which is kinda crazy considering how crazy good a vamp weapon of a good base type is.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 21:05

Why is immolation still purple? It made sense when reading it damaged you, but that is no longer the case.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st January 2014, 22:05

pubby wrote:Why is immolation still purple? It made sense when reading it damaged you, but that is no longer the case.
Inner Flame is incredibly risky. If you read it while surrounded by orcs in their mines, for example, it could easily make the situation much worse due to the damage you would take if you kill them. Like duvessa said, if you don't think this is a problem than you could change it in your rc file.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 2nd January 2014, 21:30

if ever an item needed to be purple it is "potion of slowing, pinning, and stasis, but here have a few ac"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd January 2014, 18:29

Prior to the reduction of Inner Flame's duration, I'd have wanted it to stay purple, but now I think it shouldn't be (and should default to autopickup).

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 2
Lasty, XuaXua

Return to Game Design Discussion