Mimic self

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 16th December 2013, 19:05

Mimic self

I think there should be a transmutation spell that allows you to temporarily adopt the appearance of a targeted monster - so, for instance, if you come across a group of orcs, and one of them sees you, you could cast it on him, make him follow you into a dark corner, kill him, then when you return to the group, they would have a 'friendly' status. The rest of the dungeon's monsters would attack as normal.

If you cast it upon an orc while several orcs could see you, they would see the ruse, and attack as normal. If you were standing next to your 'doppelganger', the others would attack as normal. If you cast it upon a random monster (say a giant frog), it wouldn't work either, since frogs don't know eachother, and thus would assume you were a frog-shaped adventurer.

I think if balanced correctly, this could be an interesting situational spell, with some good flavour.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 16th December 2013, 19:08

Re: Proposal: Mimic

This sounds a little too fiddly for Crawl (and would be worse than casting enslave for all but packs of similar enemies, if then), but keep it in mind for Metal Gear Solid: The Roguelike.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 16th December 2013, 19:23

Re: Proposal: Mimic

That sounds like a lot of work to only get 1 ally-stab.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 17:06

Re: Mimic self

If you're a Deep Elf, and you cast this in the Elven Halls, what happens?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 17:11

Igxfl wrote:If you're a Deep Elf, and you cast this in the Elven Halls, what happens?

The same thing that happens if you're a draconian and cast dragon form. Double dragon. Or, in this case, deep deep elf.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 17:49

What if this let you command sentient beings as if they were allies? Perhaps not to attack, but to follow. You could use it to lead a small group to a secluded area before murdering them. So, its worse than invis in that you have to use it when you are alone, and it only gives you one surprise attack, but it acts as a poor man's summon if you can position some meatshields.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 23:19

I like the idea of gaining the trust of cohorts through nefarious means, but this spell put's a lot of effort on the players part for little or too much gain (a single stab opportunity, or a whole neutral branch).

You have, along with this post, made me think up a trickster species (more malicious in nature than spriggans) with a silver tounge, who have a knack for effecting others through their words.

I digress, if this didn't need the lure away and was made more streamlined for the player, it would then be more viable of a spell. I do like how its transmutation being used in a sneaky approach.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th December 2013, 17:15

This might be a pain since it would be special casing the spell, but what if it had a per-level or per-species cooldown. Maybe when you cast it a second time and move near enemies you get a message saying "they eye you suspiciously." "They mutter among themselves." "They see right through your disguise and attack!"
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 18th December 2013, 19:35

I like the general idea, but if it was a spell I don't think you could have it neutralizing whole branches in this way, and if you go with the much more scaled down version, it sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gains.

I think you should go for the major effect, letting you ingratiate yourself amongst a certain type of enemy, but that it would work a lot better as a divine ability, which have much more precedent when it comes to level-wide effects (like Lugonu's corruption). In either case, I would avoid letting you command your "allies," though, as then it just becomes "non-orc Beogh." Just making them neutral (so long as you keep up the disguise while they are in LOS) would be powerful. It would also make a stealthy, less offensively-oriented approach to certain obstacles more viable, without encroaching upon other gods' territories. (This would be completely different from how Ely and pacification work, for instance.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd December 2013, 02:54

Mimic self: an ability that allows you to become an exact copy of yourself.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Return to Game Design Discussion