Remove mimics

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 18:38

Remove mimics

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Volte ... 183048.txt
  Code:
 98686 | Hell     | Killed Geryon
 99429 | Vaults:2 | the portal to a secret trove of treasure was a mimic.

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks: 5
archaeo, dck, duvessa, rockygargoyle, sizz

Barkeep

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 19:41

Re: Remove mimics

How did you know it needed the horn if you didn't approach it? x v?

Either way this is hilarious. Sorry about that BS. I'd be fine with mimics not being allowed to pretend to be a trove quite this well.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 20:47

lol... mimic was sitting there going "huehuehue".

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 2
jwoodward48ss, rockygargoyle

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 20:49

Wouldn't the mimic attack if you got near it? I think its weird that you'd avoid the touching the trove, especially because a few of the treasure trove portal vaults have gold in them.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 21:05

archaeo wrote:How did you know it needed the horn if you didn't approach it? x v?

Either way this is hilarious. Sorry about that BS. I'd be fine with mimics not being allowed to pretend to be a trove quite this well.

Ctrl-O screen tells it right away.

That said, I always move next to portals to make sure it's not a mimic. I believe the OP will start to do so now too, haha.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 21:24

hilarious :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Klown, rockygargoyle, XuaXua

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 23rd December 2013, 23:54

I don't think you were greatly inconvenienced by this particular trove, considering that Geryon isn't hugely difficult and is usually worth killing anyway. I can see this resulting in a player wasting a bunch of enchant scrolls/money though.

Either:
- Mimics should be prevented from being troves
- You shouldn't be able to find out what a trove wants unless you stand over it (also change auto-explore so that it checks what troves want)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 00:00

Leafsnail wrote:I don't think you were greatly inconvenienced by this particular trove, considering that Geryon isn't hugely difficult and is usually worth killing anyway. I can see this resulting in a player wasting a bunch of enchant scrolls/money though.

Either:
- Mimics should be prevented from being troves
- You shouldn't be able to find out what a trove wants unless you stand over it (also change auto-explore so that it checks what troves want)

The same is true of, say, escape hatches: optimally, you'll want to stop autoexploring and stand next to each one, so that if you're running away later you don't get screwed my a mimic. The same is also true of items of strategic use, like potions of cure mutation or restore abilities: mimic encourage you to walk up next to them. The only thing that could make sense as a mimic is something that you're going to autopickup anyway, or something so useless you'll never even touch it. Unfortunately, the game doesn't know how to tell what belongs in those categories.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 00:08

I would support branch entrances of any sort being invalid for being turned into mimics, just because I find it really weird that a mimic managed to fake an entire entry vault worth of stuff around it.

Return to Game Design Discussion