Mana "rotting"

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 25th December 2013, 21:36

Mana "rotting"

We have max hp decay, we have stat debilitation, so why doesn't the same mechanic exist for mana? It could be placed on something exclusive to a few endgame areas - maybe as a greater mummy death curse and a hell effect. Some sort of moth (as in Perdido Street Station) would be a solid candidate as well.

As far as reversing the effect, it ought to be analogous to HP rot: one point for curing, several for a potion of magic. This would make potions of magic more interesting as they would now have value as both strategic and tactical resources.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th December 2013, 21:41

Re: Mana "rotting"

Ever play a deep dwarf or a mummy? They both have a mechanic that involves this.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 25th December 2013, 21:43

I think in general we should be moving in the opposite direction and be making rotting less common, not more.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 2
battaile, duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th December 2013, 21:44

The mechanic already exists in the code base, so it would be easy enough to implement.

I don't think just adding mana rot exactly like hp rot is a good idea. We already have enough monsters specifically targeting casters (eyes of draining, antimagic, ghost moths, etc.). I would prefer to use the mechanic in a more interesting way. I toyed with a god proposal that would have used this "mana rot" as a cost for their Invocations, but I never came up with enough content.

sgrunt wrote:Ever play a deep dwarf or a mummy? They both have a mechanic that involves this.
That's permeant MP loss. This proposal is talking about something like rot where you can get the loss of max MP back.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th December 2013, 22:20

defen wrote:why doesn't the same mechanic exist for mana?

You're asking the wrong question here. Why should it exists? Not for the sake of symmetry, that's for sure. Players often suggest that foo should be like bar because it creates a nice symmetry that makes them comfortable, but in reality, it often only reduces differentiation.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion